The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some family members say,"Slower than Molasses," but not the "in January" part.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom said, "Slower than molasses running uphill in January." Often about me.

Maryn, the original pokey little puppy

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
"Slower than molasses", yes.

I have expressions from my grandmother (born in 1910) that D. still looks at me sideways for after 14 years. His grandparents are only recently in their 70s and his mother's like a decade younger than mine.

One of my grandmother's exclamations was "Judas priest!" Another common one from her was "They'd complain if they were hung with a new rope." I still say that one.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, my family said "fiddle-fart". Did anyone else's family use "piddle-dick" for the same situations? "Geez, he could just piddle-dick around all day and get nothing done."

I know there are other things I say that my hubby just gives me weird looks, but for the life of me, I can't think of them right now.

Yesterday was my wrapping day (except for kiddo's, 'cause I can't seem to get rid of her. Not sure when her stuff is getting done). Today is my cooking day. On the agenda: 2 (or 3) batches of snickerdoodles, a gooseberry pie, and crab dip.

I wanted to wear a new corset that I ordered to my family's Christmas (tomorrow) but I don't think it's going to be delivered in time. :( If the mailman doesn't come before about 12:30 tomorrow, I'm out of luck. Ah well.

ETA: Happy happy day, Jo!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Morning everyone!

Happy birthday, Jo!

Haha, not even going to start on the weird sayings. There are so many German sayings that don't make any sense at all. Also, have to admit that my mother very often tends to not be politically correct at all.

In other news, one more work night tonight and we'll be officially done with the Christmas madness. Seriously, this year is insane. Entire store was completely torn to pieces and if supervisor and I hadn't been using our brains to delegate like mad, we wouldn't have gotten anything done.

Oh yes and Dear Customer who cussed at me and added "this is the gayest thing ever" (about having to walk a few extra yards to the only door that we keep open at night) - take your stuff and suck it. :Soapbox:

Anyway, hope everyone is having a nice Sunday, whether filled with cooking/baking, gift-wrapping and/or relaxing.

I think my plan is to go see The Hobbit really early Christmas morning. Because it's just me and hey, might as well, right?

Anyway, destressing with a mocha and trying to write a decent start for this short story for my dearest Para. :)

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, on "slower than molasses in January".

I have a guest blog post and gift card giveaway up, if anyone wants to check it out. Guest post

Dragging my feet on finishing Book 2 because I want to stay in the world a bit longer. I could totally have finished this yesterday, but will get it done today and on to revisions.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
{{{dys}}} May you have a teaching job within a month and never have to work the night shift at WM again!

Dear Gods, I do hope to land a teaching gig for the next school year. Assuming of course that I don't royally screw up during student teaching or...something, you know.

On the upside, both my English and my German coordinating teachers are super helpful so far. :) Here is hoping.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JO!

Good morning! Good heavens it's beautiful here today. The snow this week was crappy wet and heavy, but now that it's over, the shoveling is done and the sun is shining, it's pretty!

Yes, the cover W!D3 OP3n was up against was the one with the girl. In the semi-finals it's up against D!SC0UNT @RM@G3DD0N, which author has tons of fans and she's has been pushing it online, so yeah. But, like I said, it's been fun to get this far.

My brother and his family stopped in briefly last night, which was the easiest entertaining ever as they stayed for less than an hour (they were traveling from MN to CO as part of a holiday trip that goes from western NY to MN to CO to ND and back).

My plan for today is to mostly do nothing. I have two book chapters I could revise, some cookies I could bake and some dogs I could walk (this last will probably actually happen), but other than that no obligations (YAY!!!)

Have a great day, everyone!

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
No obligations sounds like my kind of weekend.

I'm actually getting some writing done! *gasp!*

Really enjoying this, too. The fun about sequels - you get to play around with old characters and introduce new ones. New conflicts, pissing contests etc. :)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Pie in the oven. Next up, snickerdoodles. So many snickerdoodles...

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the game but my family always said "As slow as molasses on a winter morning"
My dad's family always said when you could see sunlight while it was raining "The devil's beating his wife today"
And .... bah.... I can't remember I said something recently to girl wonder and she was like "What does that even mean" and I started laughing and said "that's a southern euphemism" but I can't remember now what I said.... I'll think on it.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Purgies!

(((Maryn))) for the Kid 2 car troubles. You're quite tech savvy with all the assistance you provided, despite the thumb trouble. Yay! on your anthology coming out soon!

(((Mrs. B))) for the carpel tunnel syndrome. Enjoy the bubble bath and glass of wine!

Lily - the new hair color looks great!

Blond - it's really wonderful hearing how happy you are with JL.

Fire - Oooh, Beef Wellington and truffles. And Tas' snickerdoodles! :drool

Jo - glad to hear the party went well.

Amarie - good luck on the open house!

CB - congrats on the cover competition success!

Dys - I second the destressing mocha, and good luck on your short story!

Dragon - enjoy your world. The same thing happened to me in Book 0. I finished up what I had planned to write around 90K, but I really enjoyed the characters and the world I'd created, and kept going to 155K, and now I've got a 4 book outline. (Book 0 was the only reason I started writing, and one of these days, it WILL get published.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JO!!!

:PartySmil:TheWave::TheWave::PartySmil
+1!

Um, I thought the male gift gene was the one that made them say: "So what did you get my parents this year? What are you getting my brothers? Did you buy anything for my sister yet?" And so on. The male gene = leave shopping to the women.
This sounds normal to me. I go through phases, sometimes planning diligently months ahead of time, other times suddenly realizing that tomorrow is our anniversary. For Christmas, Lynne takes care of everything most of the time. It's really fun finding out what I got the kids for Christmas when they open their presents.

Haha, not even going to start on the weird sayings. There are so many German sayings that don't make any sense at all.
I can't remember all the odd sayings my mom said. She also had trouble with some of the American sayings that don't make a whole lot of sense if you didn't grow up using them. Instead of saying she had "nerves of steel", she'd say she had "nerves of crystal", or even "crystal clear nerves".

The industry of Purgatory must have rubbed off on me.
Hmm, not so much on me. I've got a long list of stuff to do, but I'm pretty much taking it easy. I spent most of yesterday watching the 1st 2 LOTRs movies with kiddos 2 and 3. (I forget Kiddo 3 had never seen them - about halfway through movie 2, she spouts out (about Orlando Bloom) - "Hey - he's the guy in Pirates of the Caribbean!")

Movie #3 is on the schedule for today, followed by The Hobbit tonight or tomorrow (although tomorrow would interfere with the commencement of my Christmas shopping). Kiddo #2 put off cooking dinner for us until tonight - she and Kiddo #3 are in the kitchen, prepping now. Some sort of crockpot concoction, I gather. (Wow, something smells good.)

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
My great aunt used to say "She'd jar your mother's preserves," and "Hold the candle while I shave the baby's chin." No idea where they came from.

Lily, love the new color.
Happy Birthday, Jo.
Dys, enjoy the mocha!

Anyone have a fail-safe, easy breakfast treat I can make for Christmas morning? We have one set of parents leaving before the big dinner, and I wanted to do something a little special...

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cap'n Crunch?

If Rick's suggestion fails because there's been a Christmas rush on Cap'n Crunch (which I adore) :D we always have scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on toasted English muffins. It's simple, but tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.