Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holed up at home, I get way more reading done, and more cleaning and organizing, but alas, not a bit more writing.

I've shoveled the driveway and been out once already, about to hit the road again. Wish me safe travels! (Ten miles on major streets; I should be fine.)

Lily, I'm not ignoring your rep, I'm putting together something.

Maryn, zipping out the door

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like this rule! Although I don't know about the not leaving the house and productivity thing. I feel like since I got a home office and now almost never go to my office on campus, I work more but get less accomplished. Sigh.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Ugh, my office is ridiculously hot in winter. right now is 86 and the heat is still rising.

Grr.

eta: it is 3 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I have my office window wide open. :crazy:

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email that I'll be getting an interview for the internal position I applied for a few weeks ago. This would be cause for celebration, except that I think it's required that all internal candidates get interviewed.

Guess we'll see.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Tasmin!

I have poked my head out of the revision cave. One last pass, and then I can send the adult magic realism to agent lady. These revisions were slowed down because of a lot of issues with vertigo over the holidays. I should be used to it by now, but it's still so debilitating when it hits. Anyway, this is hopefully the last pass before SDIAP needs before it goes on sub. Then I get to decide if I want to pursue rewriting the YA horror or writing a new YA horror. I promised myself I'd get two completed novels this year.

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!
just popping in to say hello.
love the scarfs. saw a beautiful one at the farmers market the other day- it was hooded. I wanted it but alas...Florida...what's the point? Couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something i might wear 2 days a year if I ventured out of the house.
Instead I bought boots, cause yeah- that's more practical
:)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray Lily's Books!!!!

Hooray for lovely scarves!

Hooray for lovely covers, Amarie. Love the Titanic one most of all.

Boo on the cold, Ink.

Good luck, Tasmin!

Year not off to a great start in the Firedrake Household. Mr FD has picked up Orf, (google it, it's a strange thing) and the bank have decided that our overdraft needs to be cut. This will make things...difficult. So fed up of this shit. We both work long hours and we still can't get out of the hole.

WritingDemons

Reclusive doesn't begin to cover it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jackykendricks.blogspot.com
I am seriously tempted to run out and buy the yarn so that I can join the cult of Tom Baker Scarf wearers.

Mostly because that is one long ass scarf, and long ass scarfs are my favorite. Alas, I'd first have to finish knitting the hooded scarf I promised my sister. I've been reading instead of watching netflix, which seriously cuts down on my knitting time. Bah.

But I need to re-read the last 5 R@chel M0rgan books before #12 comes out on the twenty-second! I'm sooooo excited. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Condolences to all those with insomnia. Weird that it hit everyone last night. I'm at the point now where I have to get up 3-5 times a night to pee and at least once to eat, which is seriously annoying/exhausting.

Then some idiot on my facebook feed posted something that appeared to be some inspirational mommy article and turned out upon clicking to be a mother's graphic description of her three year old's death after pulling the dresser over on top of her. Rather than stay up all night obsessing, I decided to head off my own insomnia by going into Sharkbite's room at 11 PM and screwing his bookshelves to the wall (he was like, WTF Mama?). I feel much better, but I'm still having these mental visualizations of this other child's death. I hate, hate, hate it when I read something like that because it really sticks with me. I've got a few of these cataloged mentally, and now I get to enjoy a day of having my brain pull them out and review them in detail. Thank you sooo much, facebook person!

And with that - I must get back to writing. If I don't have some story for my brain to ruminate over all day it just picks itself to pieces and drives me to insanity. So it turns out I don't write because I'm crazy, I write so that I do not GO crazy. Winter hiatus: OVER.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Found out a fandom friend died of cancer NYE. Too nice a lady. It was a long fight.

3-day vacation ahead. So much to do today it's not funny, and on foot. Can't wait for D. to get home. He took Monday off, too, as a recoup day, so my New Year writing probably won't start until Tuesday.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for lovely covers, Amarie. Love the Titanic one most of all.

Thanks!

I shall never knit, but younger kiddo asked to learn how, so as a Christmas present, she has a lesson tomorrow, along with some fancy rosewood knitting needles (I have no idea how the woman at the store convinced me to buy these, but they are lovely).

I hope kiddo likes it, but I can see us ending up with lots of beautiful yarn that doesn't necessarily get used. The kiddo is a world class accumulator.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((KT)))

(((Fire))) We are also in a large multiyear hole that we are digging ourselves out of. We were doing better but we had some backsliding and setbacks, and there's more hole to fill.

Sorry about all the insomnia. I have it quite a lot, so much so that it doesn't bother me -- it's just normal to me to get up in the middle of the night. I used to have a worse time because it was only in the last year that I decided that my mom's advice ("you can't fall asleep if you're not in bed") was crap. I would lie there not sleeping and waking myself up whenever I got close.

For me, it's much better to break the cycle by getting up, tackling whatever is bothering me if I can, checking email for five minutes, reading, emptying dishwasher. Then I'm like, "Screw this. I'm going to bed."

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Last Friday, about two hours before our guests arrived, I came down with a cold. It turned out to be the worst, most painful cold I've had in years. I'm still sick, like horribly so and I'm drowning in work that accumulated over my vacation too. Shoot me.

UGH. The cold going around this year is dreadful. It took me almost 3 full weeks to get over it and it's a misery. Hang in there.

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
California was lovely, though it turns out SunnaSis2 lives on the top of a mountain, and it also turns out that the tops of mountains tend to fall all the hell over the (winding, steep, narrow) road when it rains hard, so getting there was interesting. But redwoods galore --they live on the lower edge of Big Basin park-- so I was happy. And all my sibs were there with all their SOs and kiddos. Yea verily, the snark was strong with us.

I was worried about you guys with all that freaking rain they had up north! Glad you weren't completely washed out to sea. And OOOOOO! BIG BASIN! I haven't been there since high school but OH SO PURTY!

Anywhar. It was lovely seeing the fabulous Blond once again, and meeting JL, who is sweet, funny, and may even be worthy of our Blond. :D

I believe JL's words upon driving away were "It's too bad they live so far away."

And I only snapped at SunnaMIL (who earned it in spades and got off pretty damned easy, all things considered) once. Though it was, alas, a rather spectacular example of what happens when I've kept my mouth shut for too long. I got tragicface for the rest of the visit, but it did shut her up, so it was worth it.

Amen. :)

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Seconded.

Dude, I'd never leave the house between January and mid-March. That would be AWESOME.

Think of all the writing you would get done.

OMG this sounds like an amazing idea!!!!!

I'm actually doing my first ever "big house" writing retreat in TX the second week of March. I think there are like 24 of us in a 14 bedroom compound for 5 days. Wondering how much writing I can actually get done...

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
eta: it is 3 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I have my office window wide open. :crazy:

I'm sorry, did you say "3"?

smiley-scared007.gif

Blondchen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Year not off to a great start in the Firedrake Household. Mr FD has picked up Orf, (google it, it's a strange thing) and the bank have decided that our overdraft needs to be cut. This will make things...difficult. So fed up of this shit. We both work long hours and we still can't get out of the hole.

smiley-hug001.gif

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
(((KT)))

(((Fire)))

(((Ink)))

(((everyone)))

Yay for Lily's books!

Kiahanna, *vamp dust*!

Landlord's son is making life damn unpleasant around here. Ended up exchanging several serious text messages with Housemate M last night, who's away until next week. This cold is also kicking my ass. I woke up and it took until late afternoon before I was convinced I hadn't relapsed.

But in better news, just started Suki's book! Matt's voice sucked me straight in. Have to go out to get milk and dinner, but my plan is to curl up with it tonight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.