Edible flower head

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for an edible flower, the type you could plausibly find in a hanging basket in the summer months.The type you might see in a public display and say 'hey, you can eat this' and offer some to their companion.

Something pretty and decorative, but pickable and yom. Have tried googling but not found anything that might hanng down, as opposed to growing up and out.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nasturtium ought to do it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) Nah, just a gardener.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, nasturtiums are the classic edible flower found in fine dining deserts everywhere. Even better when sugar dipped. :)

Violets are also good, as are chrysanthemum, geranium and lavender. But, I gotta say, this question would have been far quicker to Google than to ask here. Wikipedia even has an edible flower list.

Okay, off to some more dandelion tea...

Jeff

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily quicker. Especially since the requirements were for a plant with a trailing growth habit, as the others you mention do not have but nasturtiums do.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Marigolds are delicious!!!! And they bloom plentifully all summer. They do tend to grow up, rather than down. In basket you would combine them with other trailing things.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Calendula is a classic. Pretty, dead easy to grow, flowers prolifically, and tastes nice in a salad.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Tulips, I understand, come in a variety of flavors.

Tulips are poisonous.

Most members of the lily family are.

The notable exceptions are onions and garlic.

Except that even they are poisonous to cats and dogs.

I would not recommend eating any unfamiliar bulb flower.

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Tulips are poisonous.

Most members of the lily family are.

The notable exceptions are onions and garlic.

Except that even they are poisonous to cats and dogs.

I would not recommend eating any unfamiliar bulb flower.

Right (and wrong).
Always tread carefully, sometimes only one part of a plant might be edible, or even only one type of the plant.

http://content.ces.ncsu.edu/choosing-and-using-edible-flowers-ag-790.pdf
Tulips are listed as edible in most edible flower lists and plant books, but not the bulb part.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bou...ie-nichols-mcgee/1012560405?ean=9780761116233
My favorite gardening book.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend who used to randomly pick flowers from people's yards and eat them. I refused to copy her, but she did convince me to try honeysuckle nectar. You gently pluck the stamen from the flower and there's a drop of nectar on the end, which you can touch to your tongue. As I recall, it was sweet, like honey, but not as thick. (This was twenty years ago, so the memory has faded.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Kylabelle nailed it: Nasturtiums. I grow them every year, dead easy for any gardener. They actually prefer crappy, non-fertilized soil and are really tolerant of dry conditions. I grow some in the front of the house for decoration, and some in pots in my garden for eating in salads. The flowers have a sweet-spicy flavor reminiscent of honey mustard, and are spectacularly good in salads.

Another good possibility is squash flowers. Big, showy and excellent, raw or cooked.

Another thing I use in salads in summer: the petals of the ubiquitous beautiful native fireweed (genus Epilobium). Bright reddish-purple, thin, flavorless but nutritionally good (evening primrose family) and look terrific sprinkled in the salad mix.

caw

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily quicker. Especially since the requirements were for a plant with a trailing growth habit, as the others you mention do not have but nasturtiums do.

Indeed, I did try google first, but the trailing growth habit? I don't even have the vocab to search that.

The scene I have in mind is one where my FMC spots something hanging from a basket attached to the roof of a tram stop shelter, wanders over and plucks something to offer her friend. It need to be hanging as the character as written is bereft of height.

Lots of great ideas here now though. Food for thought, as it were.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nasturtiums hang low.

Google some images and you will see. In an untended hanging basket, in the right climate, they could even be found trailing along the ground.

ETA: Not only that, but in the right climate, again, they are prolific self-sowers and could be found volunteering; that is, not actually planted but growing out of dirt accumulated in a gutter or the like.:D

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Even better, Nasturtium it is :)

One of the google images has a flower on a slice of bread :-D

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Marigolds. Violets. And, as others have mentioned, nasturitium. The latter tastes like black pepper. Flowers and leaves can be eaten. Are good in salads. If you try to cook them, they become mush.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Nasturtiums hang low.

Google some images and you will see. In an untended hanging basket, in the right climate, they could even be found trailing along the ground.

Only some varieties. There are both trailing and upright forms, the latter including some dwarf varieties. I plant my beds with several, to get layers. But all are good to eat.

caw

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I had a friend who used to randomly pick flowers from people's yards and eat them. I refused to copy her, but she did convince me to try honeysuckle nectar. You gently pluck the stamen from the flower and there's a drop of nectar on the end, which you can touch to your tongue. As I recall, it was sweet, like honey, but not as thick. (This was twenty years ago, so the memory has faded.)
My parents had honeysuckle growinng over their lilacs. It is sweet, and smells lovely as well!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Not to moose, who view them as lollipops. I've stopped trying to grow them, for exactly this reason.

caw

Thank you. Just what I needed to know - in the sense of its been a long day......:)

Also gave me the Monty Python moment - a moose bit my sister once. Moose bites can be very nasty.

Something has been eating the tops of the tulips I planted at the end of last year - well it was and now it has stopped and they are getting taller (like an inch or so). Probably slugs. Not quite as scenic as a moose.
And whatever it was hasn't eaten the iris or daffodil leaves...

Nasturtiums - leave some of the flowers to seed and they are tasty too - peppery. Can be preserved in vinegar.