Is 'Just write it' ALWAYS good advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aa1888

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma where "just right it" might be a good advice. I have plotted, worldbuilded, and started the novel. But i have this nagging problem of doubting myself and trying to place a distance to the novel.

So "just right it" will appear to suit my dielemma. The advice "just right it" should apply to someone who already started the story. Once you write one word, you must write the last word. Whether you doubt the story or hate the story.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Imperatives are bad no matter what the advice. I just figured that was understood. It's certainly stated often enough throughout the forums.

I'm in a dilemma where "just right it" might be a good advice. I have plotted, worldbuilded, and started the novel. But i have this nagging problem of doubting myself and trying to place a distance to the novel.

So "just right it" will appear to suit my dielemma. The advice "just right it" should apply to someone who already started the story. Once you write one word, you must write the last word. Whether you doubt the story or hate the story.

Not necessarily. My previous WIP was stuck going nowhere past chapter 1 for two years, because it wasn't what I needed to be working on. Current WIP is on second draft.

Just Write It works when the writer is sabotaging the work with self doubts, distractions, dithering etc.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The advice "just right it" should apply to someone who already started the story. Once you write one word, you must write the last word. Whether you doubt the story or hate the story.

Bear in mind also that you don't have to proceed in totally linear fashion, like a freight train. Think "scenes", and work on writing some that stimulate you, whether they are in order or not. You can assemble stuff later, one of the great benefits of the word-processor. But write something to get past the speed-bump of "planning". There's nothing wrong with planning, until it becomes an obstacle to forward movement.

Writing, actual writing stimulates more writing. Planning, no matter how intricate, doesn't generally do that.

And don't overworry about writing stuff that might get tossed out later. Keep the windows of your writing mind open to the air. Fresh breezes sometimes enter, bearing entire new and useful ideas that might not be contained in the architecture of your plan.

caw

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, she's got a viable story.

Main character has a need: Needs to find granny.

Main character has a problem: The old rules don't work any more.

As to how to start the story, anything at all will do. The main character can go out for pizza. As long as the character is moving it doesn't matter.

James,

Thank you very much for sharing your insight. I failed to see what you see, but I have a lot of trouble with 'story'.

I'm making the exact same decisions, as a pantser, as the ones you've described for your complete plotters. Exactly the same.

I'm glad to hear someone say this. People have suggested to me that I solve my problems by outlining, but my take on it is pretty much what you have said - outline or write-as-you-go, the writer has to deal with the same kind of decisions either way.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
This coming from a plotter. Justwriteit often helps when I can't choose between two (or more) projects. I write a chapter or two, get a feel for each project, and then it's suddenly clear which one clicks.

I think it's pretty pointless, though, as a general case. I mean, if you could just write it, why would you be asking for advice? You'd be writing. And if you can't, no amount of JWI will make you. But then, I never really understood how external pushing works, either. If I can't force myself to get up and start working, then no one else can. Well, unless they are my boss and it's a job and I really need money. :)

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* What irks me about "just write it" is that it's overused (IMO). Like, 3+ people saying it on the same thread for many threads.
And it's vague. A more articulate response would be appreciated, I'm sure.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* What irks me about "just write it" is that it's overused (IMO). Like, 3+ people saying it on the same thread for many threads.
And it's vague. A more articulate response would be appreciated, I'm sure.

But again - if the poster is just dithering or asking a 'crystal ball' question, what other advice can one give?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
But again - if the poster is just dithering or asking a 'crystal ball' question, what other advice can one give?

Sometimes, "What are you afraid of?" can help. New writers are often afraid of looking foolish or messing up etc. For them the reassurance that we all mess up a lot as we are finding our ways can help them find theirs.

For the ones who are too egotistical to think that they can mess up, no advice of any kind will help except "get over yourself"

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score

Dithering deserves the 'just write' response, but sometimes people ask things without being entirely sure of what they're not sure of. Like in a math class where the teacher launches into a lengthy explanation, and when the student says "I don't understand," the teacher asks them what they didn't understand...and the student says, "All of it."

Sometimes helping someone figure out what their question is can be more helpful than giving a stock answer. It may take more time and energy, but...well, stock answers are easy to give.

FTR, to those who frequently say 'just write', I'm not criticizing - just sharing my thoughts on the matter in hopes that this advice will be used appropriately rather than as a fix-all.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
"just write it" reminds me of "just snap out of it" - what they used to say about depression.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
"just write it" reminds me of "just snap out of it" - what they used to say about depression.

I don't see that at all. "Just write it" is good, even excellent advice under many circumstances. "Just snap out of it" is ignorance.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I've found the concept of just write it unhelpful. In theory it is wonderful, and for many it may be. But for some, like me, it is detrimental and results in something I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I finally dove in to a short story I was planning that I seemed to be dancing circles around before writing. I decided I would take the just write it and see what happens approach and it wasn't good. For most people, they would recognize it just didn't work or rewrite it, but now I'm in limbo where I still believe in my concept, but don't believe in my ability to execute said concept.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've found the concept of just write it unhelpful. In theory it is wonderful, and for many it may be. But for some, like me, it is detrimental and results in something I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I finally dove in to a short story I was planning that I seemed to be dancing circles around before writing. I decided I would take the just write it and see what happens approach and it wasn't good. For most people, they would recognize it just didn't work or rewrite it, but now I'm in limbo where I still believe in my concept, but don't believe in my ability to execute said concept.

So your planning wasn't working, either. Hard to tell what the problem is without seeing some work, which is the major reason people (including me) tend to give the "Just write it" dictum. Maybe this particular story idea just isn't fully matured. One thing you could do, certainly, is post what you have in SYW.

All I really know, for dead certain, is that at some point, if you're serious about producing writing, ya gotta put a noun after the article and follow that with a verb, and go from there, regardless of the intricacy of "the plan", or lack thereof.

caw

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
You know what? If "Just Write It" doesn't work for you, then don't write it.

You do have a choice in the matter.

Don't write it. Think about it more. Dwell on all those intricate plot points. Do more research. Bounce ideas off of others.

Whatever floats your boat.

But if you want to write... at some point, you actually have to do the deed, you know?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I don't see that at all. "Just write it" is good, even excellent advice under many circumstances. "Just snap out of it" is ignorance.

But not under ALL circumstances, which is what this thread started off discussing. That there are some circumstances where 'just write it' really isn't that helpful.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
For me, 'just write it' means get off of AW and get to work. To some extent AW is really my water cooler since the few people I meet up here speak mostly French ( and I speak mostly English) and meaningful interaction is rare.

I've always got plenty of material spinning around in my head and in 'started' WiP. It sits there begging for my attention. I would never recommend someone who has not already begun the mental work for something to sit down and hit keys on the keyboard, hoping for inspiration. I say that as a complete panster who breaks away for research but not outlines etc.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
So your planning wasn't working, either. Hard to tell what the problem is without seeing some work, which is the major reason people (including me) tend to give the "Just write it" dictum. Maybe this particular story idea just isn't fully matured. One thing you could do, certainly, is post what you have in SYW.

All I really know, for dead certain, is that at some point, if you're serious about producing writing, ya gotta put a noun after the article and follow that with a verb, and go from there, regardless of the intricacy of "the plan", or lack thereof.

caw

The planning actually was working wonderfully, but I didn't want to spend more than two days planning the short story. I was trying to prescribe to the just write method. I hit the two day limit and wrote it. Personally I needed the extra day or two to plan.

I have no issue with execution. I have written every idea that I have seriously put any thought into. It is never a matter of getting to it. Only being prepared enough for it.

I simply voiced that I am not one who prescribes to the idea. Not saying it wouldn't work for others.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
But not under ALL circumstances, which is what this thread started off discussing. That there are some circumstances where 'just write it' really isn't that helpful.

I don't know of anyone who has said it's always the right advice. The whole discussion is kind of out there, frankly. As has been said, over and over, no advice is always the right advice. :deadhorse

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
this is starting to remind me of the Clinton "what is the definition of 'is'?" fiasco

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
The thing is, too, that for every person for whom "Just write it" doesn't work, there's someone for whom it's permission.

Lots of people come here with the idea that they MUST plot in advance, they MUST have a detailed outline before they start, they MUST know how the story ends first. Not because that's their process, but because they read it somewhere or someone gave them that advice before.

For those people, "Just write it" sets them free. It makes them realize that lots of successful writers (by which I mean writers who have finished a book) start with a character and an idea, not a pages-long detailed outline with bullet points and character factsheets and pictures of models or actors.

There isn't always a way of knowing in advance which people those are.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of people come here with the idea that they MUST plot in advance, they MUST have a detailed outline before they start, they MUST know how the story ends first. Not because that's their process, but because they read it somewhere or someone gave them that advice before.

This. Oh my God this. A thousand times.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The thing is, too, that for every person for whom "Just write it" doesn't work, there's someone for whom it's permission.

For those people, "Just write it" sets them free. It makes them realize that lots of successful writers (by which I mean writers who have finished a book) start with a character and an idea, not a pages-long detailed outline with bullet points and character factsheets and pictures of models or actors.

There isn't always a way of knowing in advance which people those are.

That's fair.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
If that's all this thread was about, it would have ended on the first page. Mostly this thread has been about people telling other people what they said isn't really what they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.