Crime, crime and more crime

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Let's talk about stuff besides murder.
Thanks to me taking a break from the SK manuscript, I really should be writing a story about a SPY who's trying to take down a Mafia family (Russian...which I guess is a cliche but I kinda grew up with Russian's being the bad guys in media so....what does that say about me?) and I'm really liking it. Anyway. Let's talk about CRIME. And Drama and punishment. and stuff that does not include people getting killed....

but it's gonna happen anyway so why bother covering it up?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm a bit confused about your last sentence. What's going to happen anyway? Help!

Btw, I'd think there is something more cliched than Russian Mafia. That'd be the original Mafia.)

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about your last sentence. What's going to happen anyway? Help!

Btw, I'd think there is something more cliched than Russian Mafia. That'd be the original Mafia.)

It's the Mafia, they kill people all the time to send a message. :)
The Italian's knew what they were doing though. Have you ever read a book called Donnie Brasco? it's written by an FBI dude who was under cover for like six years in the New York Mafia. He almost became a made man but they pulled him before he could get all the way to the top.

And yes, I love the Godfather. :) Sometimes it's just nice to read something about dudes doing some crime and collecting money. Nothing stressful like finding a body and then another one and trying to catch an SK.

AND, I've got SPIES. :) and a secret GOVERNMENT AGENCY OF DUBIOUS ASSOCIATIONS. and it is marvelous.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I've got all kinds of crimes in my books. In the fourth book I've got domestic terrorists in northern New Hampshire, who rob banks for funds. I've also got a parolee who breaks his parole within a week of being let out.
In the first book I've got an escaped felon, the female DUSM chasing him, and the kid who tries to help him. Escape is a felony. The kid is too young to be charged with anything, so no crime there.
The third book has drug dealers and carjackings and the same escaped felon and the same DUSM. And my escaped felon carries a weapon, which is another felony.

What kind of crime is it you're looking for? :D

I think the reason we have so much organized crime in books and movies is because it exists. Whether it's the Italians or the Russians or the Japanese or the Mexicans, criminals tend to band together in groups. It's more efficient that way. It's only cliche when you play it over the top and make them stereotypes.

By the way, just watched and loved a movie about the Russian Mob. Eastern Promises. Really good noir.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
I've got all kinds of crimes in my books. In the fourth book I've got domestic terrorists in northern New Hampshire, who rob banks for funds. I've also got a parolee who breaks his parole within a week of being let out.
In the first book I've got an escaped felon, the female DUSM chasing him, and the kid who tries to help him. Escape is a felony. The kid is too young to be charged with anything, so no crime there.
The third book has drug dealers and carjackings and the same escaped felon and the same DUSM. And my escaped felon carries a weapon, which is another felony.

What kind of crime is it you're looking for? :D

I think the reason we have so much organized crime in books and movies is because it exists. Whether it's the Italians or the Russians or the Japanese or the Mexicans, criminals tend to band together in groups. It's more efficient that way. It's only cliche when you play it over the top and make them stereotypes.

By the way, just watched and loved a movie about the Russian Mob. Eastern Promises. Really good noir.

lol. your books are loaded. :) (pun intended)
I've Government stuff going on, I do mention paper work and stuff but my agency isn't too concerned, but they do make jokes about the NSA. Right now, I'm trying to develop a relationship and am kinda stuck. Which is annoying.

I'll have to check that one out. I'm weird, because ever since I read Donnie Brasco I've had a thing for mob related stuff in fiction. It's just a fun thing to write about.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
My ideas tend to be off the blood path. In fact I strive to have as little blood as possible. The story structures are borrowed from the classic M/T/S templates, but I like putting wacky twists around them.

examples:

An FBI Special Agent puts a bounty on his head in order to capture a cunning hitman.

An FBI Agent struggles to prevent anyone from getting within an inch of a rare Iranian diamond on loan to the Metropolitan Museum with the help of a sexy petty thief hired as a security consultant.

An FBI agent investigates the murder of a whore-turned-sex-shrink who kept naughty little secrets on the most powerful people in New-York.

An FBI agent struggles to determine who, between his jealous ex-wife, his shrink, and his fuck friend, framed him for leaking FBI secrets.

-cb

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
My ideas tend to be off the blood path. In fact I strive to have as little blood as possible. The story structures are borrowed from the classic M/T/S templates, but I like putting wacky twists around them.

examples:

An FBI Special Agent puts a bounty on his head in order to capture a cunning hitman.

An FBI Agent struggles to prevent anyone from getting within an inch of a rare Iranian diamond on loan to the Metropolitan Museum with the help of a sexy petty thief hired as a security consultant.

An FBI agent investigates the murder of a whore-turned-sex-shrink who kept naughty little secrets on the most powerful people in New-York.

An FBI agent struggles to determine who, between his jealous ex-wife, his shrink, and his fuck friend, framed him for leaking FBI secrets.

-cb

whoa. Those are amazing ideas. :)

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score

:)

Back on topic - I think this is why I have a thing for Identity Discovery and their stalking show. Also, the one with the PI Wolf who investigates mostly cheating spouses. *shrugs* I dunno why these things interest me.

meangene01

Registered
Reaction score
I always love a good mob crime story especially if you weave an international spy into the mix.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I love really good heists or elaborate scams of some sort.

This is one of my all-time favourites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Spaggiari

When Spaggiari heard that the sewers were close to the vault of the Société Générale bank, he began to plan a break-in into the bank. Eventually he decided to do it by digging into the bank vault from below. Spaggiari rented a box in the bank vault for himself and then put a loud alarm clock in the vault. He set the clock to ring at night in order to check the possible existence of any acoustic or seismic detection gear. In fact, there were no alarms protecting the vault because it was considered utterly impregnable; the door wall was extremely thick and there was no obvious way to access the other walls.
Spaggiari contacted professional gangsters from Marseille. Although it has never been verified, he probably got support from Gaëtano Zampa to build a team that was completed by some of his OAS friends, including would-be-assassin of Charles De Gaulle Gaby Anglade and con artist Jean Kay. His men made their way into the sewers and began a two-month effort to dig an eight meter long tunnel from the sewer to under the vault. Spaggiari had taken many precautions during this long dig. His men worked long hours continuously drilling. He told his men not to drink coffee nor alcohol and get at least 10 hours of sleep every shift to avoid any danger to the mission.
On July 16, 1976, during a long weekend due to Bastille Day festivities, Spaggiari's gang broke into the vault itself. They opened 400 safe deposit boxes and stole an estimated 60 million francs worth of money, securities and valuables.
According to some accounts, Spaggiari brought his men a meal including wine and pâté, and reportedly they sat down in the vault for a picnic lunch, after welding the vault door shut from the inside. The gang spent hours picking through the various safe deposit boxes. Before they left on July 20, they left this message on the walls of the vault: sans armes, ni haine, ni violence ("without weapons, nor hatred, nor violence").

As for Russians, I've read up on some amazing (from the standpoint of the brains behind it) schemes they've been behind. One involved a whole chain of gas stations somewhere in the US, along with different shell companies.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...sounds like a whole lot of mayhem and dirty deeds in everyone's stories.

I love it.

My story has a pair of castration victims, along with a pair of low-level thugs--the "muscle" of one of the antagonists--trying to cover up any connections to their boss, all while the small (but uber-wealthy) town's detectives deal with nervous town councilmen, nervous wealthy citizens (the males, at least), call girls, strippers, and a fire-cracker of a police chief (a female chief, very old-skool in her police work, takes no shit, plays to win, practically breathes fire).

Then a shooter shows up and starts taking out possible witnesses or leads.