Historical Genre Success Stories!

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my WIP

This just goes to show I don't really pay close attention to detail, but the reason for my post is included, I'll go ahead and do just that.

I finished my novel! "Fires and Embers" is officially complete.

August 31, 2008 at exactly 7:55 PM

When I first started, the first several chapters had 300,000 words. Shocking, I know.

Three years on, the novel's done, and I've cut it down to 180,000.

Still editing, still trimming, still struggling, and I hope to start hunting for an agent by next year ;)

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Exhilarating! I had my eye on the clock all the time. I thought I'd be able to write the letter 'D' in 'THE END' at 7;54, but it was 7:55 when I hit the 'D'.

There's another strange coincidence.

I was also born at exactly 7:55 PM, on July 30.

Several years and exactly (or nearly) 1 month after that, on the same minute, three years of labor gave birth to the novel.

Haha, this is my baby and I'm proud of it :D

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Heh. I don't have mine down to the minute...but I doubt I'll ever forget March 31, 2007...the day I finished the draft of The Scourge of Rome. It'll probably stick up there in the pantheon of dates that includes my wedding and the birth of my son.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Happy days for me. My debut BROKEN WING is released November 1st, and despite being a paperback with a small independant publisher, it received a very nice review from Publishers Weekly and is an editor's pick in the November Historical Novels Review. I also just sold my second book to Sourcebooks. The downside is...with all that,oh nevermind. We're not in it for the money are we.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
After beginning research in 1990, and having an agent try and fail to sell it in the mid-1990s and Anita Shreve editing without my asking the first 75 pages, and coming close with a significant publisher on my own and failing by one vote (had to be 100%) for acceptance, and so on, my historical novel will be published in hard cover this year by a relatively new independent press. See below.

I have received permission for a blurb from one of my author heroes from the 1950s, Barnaby Conrad, former U.S. Counsel in Seville, matador, secretary to Sinclair Lewis, and author of 30+ books including the definitve biography of Spain's gretest matador, Manolete, a best selling novel based on his life, Matador, and founder of the the Santa Barbara Writers Conference.

I am now writing the 2nd draft of its sequel and polishing a WWII fighter ace novel.

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Happy days for me. My debut BROKEN WING is released November 1st, and despite being a paperback with a small independant publisher, it received a very nice review from Publishers Weekly and is an editor's pick in the November Historical Novels Review. I also just sold my second book to Sourcebooks. The downside is...with all that,oh nevermind. We're not in it for the money are we.

What wonderful news, Manat. Congratulations! What a long wait it must seem, and now the day is almost here. Wow.

I'm going to check out your book, as I'm a sucker for wounded heroes.

I'm sure san_remo_ave will give you your medal when she returns from her business trip. You certainly deserve it. Keep us posted!

:hooray: :hooray:

c.e.

Last edited:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
After beginning research in 1990, and having an agent try and fail to sell it i the mid-1990s and Anita Shreve editing without my asking the first 75 pages, and coming close with a significant publisher on my own and failing by one vote (had to be 100%) for acceptance, and so on, my historical novel will be published in hard cover this year by a relatively new independent press. See below.

I have received permission for a blurb from one of my author heroes from the 1950s, Barnaby Conrad, former U.S. Counsel in Seville, matador, secretary to Sinclair Lewis, and author of 30+ books including the definitve biography of Spain's gretest matador, Manolete, a best selling novel based on his life, Matador, and founder of the the Santa Barbara Writers Conference.

I am now writing the 2nd draft of its sequel and polishing a WWII fighter ace novel.

You are a testament to perseverance, donroc. Congratulations. I'm sorry you had another short delay in the book's release, but if you can hang on for eighteen years, what's another thirty days? :) And how exciting to have one of your author heroes write a blurb. Wow.

san_remo_ave will send you your medal when she gets back from her business trip. In the meantime, :e2cheer:

c.e.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Thanks C.E!

If you're a sucker for wounded heroes you will like it. It has been a small step on a long road, but it sure feels good.

All the best

I'm going to check out your book, as I'm a sucker for wounded heroes.

I'm sure san_remo_ave will give you your medal when she returns from her business trip. You certainly deserve it. Keep us posted!

:hooray: :hooray:

c.e.[/quote]

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I spoke to our local historical society about my book this past week. It was really wonderful to see all the attentive faces, to hear the compliments and requests for more. In my usual way, I encouraged all of them to write up the stories they know about the community's past for preservation and possible publication by the historical society. I didn't pull any punches on the difficulties of getting a book with primarily regional interest published. But knowing how much the community likes and appreciates the two efforts I've made on their behalf makes it all worthwhile.

I've been donating a dollar from every book sold at these local presentations to the organization having me speak - good PR and definitely worth it. Puma

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
How great! I just received my November issue of The Historical Novel Review and Solander so I'll have a look as soon as I get offline. I was a small contributor to Michelle Moran's article (bestselling author of Nefertiti & The Heretic Queen) in November's Solander - How Far Must One Go?
I couldn't wait to look.:) Nice review. Good luck on mega sales!

Anon4

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of querying my literary/historical novel, and have one partial out.

I understand the market for historical fiction is not so good. Anyone know any agents who really like historical fiction?

Thanks!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohio History Course Material Listing

Just found out that my novel is now listed in the Course Materials, Ohio History and People: Resources for Excellent Reference. Just about every other book in the Ohio History list (the one I'm in) is non-fiction. So, there is some hope for faction. Puma

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
I'm in the middle of querying my literary/historical novel, and have one partial out.

I understand the market for historical fiction is not so good. Anyone know any agents who really like historical fiction?

Thanks!

Really? Hmm. Well that won't deter me--historical fiction is all I ever write :p I don't know of any agents though...not yet.

Anyway, I'm *this* close to finishing the first draft of my novel. I just can't figure out how to end it yet...
And then comes the extensive research process :) I have a lot ahead of me, as this novel takes place in a completely different culture (Japan) so I have to look up historical facts as well as cultural things. It'll be fun but I'm afraid I'll get lost in it (like I normally do with research, haha).

lkp

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

Look up the agents who are attending or have attended the Historical Novel Society meeting either in the States or in the UK.

Do a search for historical fiction on agentquery and then google those agents and/or check their websites to see what they have sold. Or check them on Publisher's Marketplace (sunscription only).
And congrats on querying! That's a success story.

kilroy64

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose no matter how small a success it is still a success. I had scribbled 2002 and 2003 on some of the books I purchased for research on my HF project so it has been going on awhile. I guess there are many, many people who claim to be "writing" a book out in the world using ongoing years of research as an excuse for not finishing.

Well, after all this time I finally finished my butt in chair version of my project on inauguration day…..well, 3am of inauguration day.

Since I am an uneducated, land-locked Mesquitian with barely a high school degree and no more than a few hours of day sailing during vacations in my experience, I suppose it is funny that I am writing a HF novel that combines revolutionary spy/intrigue with an age of sail adventure.

But at least I finished a very rough draft. That’s something isn’t it??

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it is, Kilroy. Good job. BTW, are you familiar yet with share your work that's up the main board? There's a historical subforum there that we all post parts of beginning chapters and/or snippets in so we can get comments and help on improvements to our writing. If you haven't looked at it, check it out and see whether you might be inclined to post a bit (1,000 - 2,500 words - more than that tends to bog people down). Puma

kilroy64

Registered
Reaction score
Yes indeed Puma I am aware of the share your work section. Infact I did submit a BiC chapter several years ago that was not badly received. That chapter is not in the book anymore...but it was not badly received :p

Now that I have a complete story from front to back I am going to do one "re-write" just to tighten it a little bit. I mean I did not even pause to see if I had used the same name in chapter 12 that I used in chapter 2, it was just COLONEL SOMEBODY.

So even in rough draft form it would be chaotic and out of sorts.

Once I do that I will be looking for input.

Thanx!

DMarie84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes it is, Kilroy. Good job. BTW, are you familiar yet with share your work that's up the main board? There's a historical subforum there that we all post parts of beginning chapters and/or snippets in so we can get comments and help on improvements to our writing. If you haven't looked at it, check it out and see whether you might be inclined to post a bit (1,000 - 2,500 words - more than that tends to bog people down). Puma

I'm still a newbie so I didn't know this.

I'll have to check that out. I'm part of a local critique group but another place for input can't hurt!

Thanks for bringing this up.:)

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Congratulations kilroy64!

I'd say that's quite a lot. Celebrate well, then it's time for those pesky edits!! :D
:PartySmil

I suppose no matter how small a success it is still a success. I had scribbled 2002 and 2003 on some of the books I purchased for research on my HF project so it has been going on awhile. I guess there are many, many people who claim to be "writing" a book out in the world using ongoing years of research as an excuse for not finishing.

Well, after all this time I finally finished my butt in chair version of my project on inauguration day…..well, 3am of inauguration day.

Since I am an uneducated, land-locked Mesquitian with barely a high school degree and no more than a few hours of day sailing during vacations in my experience, I suppose it is funny that I am writing a HF novel that combines revolutionary spy/intrigue with an age of sail adventure.

But at least I finished a very rough draft. That’s something isn’t it??

DMarie84

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, yesterday was rather productive for me. 5 chapters and slightly over 5000 words completed on my first draft.

Only 15 chapters to go.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Recent successes:
Had my debut novel picked up by agent Marly Rusoff
Had my debut novel picked up for publication by Avon Books
Had the Spanish rights to my debut novel sold
Finished the outline and character sketches for second novel
:)

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Recent successes:
Had my debut novel picked up by agent Marly Rusoff
Had my debut novel picked up for publication by Avon Books
Had the Spanish rights to my debut novel sold
Finished the outline and character sketches for second novel
:)

Congratulations, vsrenard! I hopped on over to your website - Wow, that's quite an intense scene you have there. I wish you the best with this book. Thanks for sharing your good news.

c.e.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Been awhile since I've had anything worth putting here, but after a long drought I finally got off my duff and started playing with The Scourge of Rome again. Lopped off the prologue, revised the intro for the dozenth or so time, and made some streamlining edits here and there. And, for kicks, fired off a few more queries.

Woke up this morning to a request for the first 50 pages + synopsis + bio. Only...I don't have a bio written up...and my synopsis is probably two years old now (and BAD)!

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!