Maryn

blaquebutterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to you!

Maryn

Maryn,

Thank you so much!

Baby steps, but to me they feel like gigantic leaps :) As I learn, I learn what I do not want to have to do again LOL.

Hopefully when I begin the next in this series things will be smoother. Unfortunately, I didn't learn prior to writing my novel.:Headbang:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every learning curve has its blips, right? What matters is that each thing you write, no matter how arduous (and in my case, incomplete) it turns out to be, teaches you things that will make the next one both better and easier.

Maryn, who wants us all to succeed

blaquebutterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn,

You are absolutely right :) And the blips are each important in their own way. (I hope we all succeed too!)

elindsen,

Yes, it is. It will be the first in a series of four that will bring her to her happily ever after.

I can't wait to write the next hero for her!

~B.B.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
I may be going out on a limb with this idea but so far I love how it's unfolding.

I decided to take a step away from my novel/trilogy and work on some novellas. After reading Champagne Cupcake and Parametric's threads it seemed like it might be a good idea. I can learn about the self-pub part while I finish editing and writing the second novel.

So anyway...I have a couple ideas and I've begun working on one of them...I'm not sure if it breaks the rules of the genres but so far I dig it.

The idea is sort of "P.S. I Love You" gone kinky.

The MC returns home after her Master's funeral at loose ends. Until... she gets the package. Her Master knows she won't try to jump back into life so he's decided to have his nearest and dearest friends help her transition.

Each episode of the series will have a different friend, chosen by her Master for a different reason. They will also give her letters from him to help her along the journey. The friends will have complete access to her (as long as they use protection) The access will be all encompassing as she is a slave and that will include service of all kinds.

The romance is initially with her Master but evolves to her HEA by the end of the series.

Does this seem like an interesting concept? Or is it something that only the BDSM crowd would appreciate?

How long should a novella like this be? (word count) I see so many different opinions but was thinking 15-20,000 words (????)

So far I have about 5,000 words, the majority is erotica but throughout the romance and the relationship with her Master is woven in.

This is a great concept. But I am worried about Consent.
I mean, is this a BDSM Alternate Universe with laws about Sub's and Dom's? if not, if this is set in the real world is there a stipulation in the Sub's contract about if one of them dies? Do these people have a follow up letter in case she rejects them for whatever reason?

just....consent to me is very important. Whenever I write anything BDSM related I do my best to get the character's consent. One of the rules to BDSM is consent.

Please feel free to ignore all of this, but if I were to read your novella I'd be pretty nervous if they didn't get consent from HER for this.

blaquebutterfly

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great concept. But I am worried about Consent.
I mean, is this a BDSM Alternate Universe with laws about Sub's and Dom's? if not, if this is set in the real world is there a stipulation in the Sub's contract about if one of them dies? Do these people have a follow up letter in case she rejects them for whatever reason?

just....consent to me is very important. Whenever I write anything BDSM related I do my best to get the character's consent. One of the rules to BDSM is consent.

Please feel free to ignore all of this, but if I were to read your novella I'd be pretty nervous if they didn't get consent from HER for this.

She is not a sub....she is a slave (BIG difference!)

This is not written as an alternate universe, but the BDSM lifestyle is an alternate lifestyle and people within it play by their rules.

She can NOT reject them (I mean, I suppose if she wanted to taint the memory of her Master/husband she could) and would never fathom doing so.

But understand this please--a slave has trust that the Master would do the right thing by them. The Master would only choose what is best for her (on whatever level that might be.) He would never choose someone who would be abhorrent to her (unless they would serve a really deep purpose and wouldn't harm (vs. hurt) the slave in any way (emotional/psychological/physical.) She consented to being his slave-period. This means she does what he says and trusts in him-period. (that is how some real life lifestyle couples live.) The Master knows his slave well enough to know what is beneficial or not for her.

As for provisions if one of them were to die--she is HIS--he could've willed her to someone or simply given her contract to someone else (he did not want to choose this option.) She is a slave and would've done whichever option he chose for her (in this case he chose beautifully at every single turn.)

There is ZERO consent listed in the book itself (meaning no negotiations etc.)What is written are her thoughts/feelings (and they are loud and clear!)

I hope this clarified things. This is not about a submissive and dominant (although they are those things too.) It is Master and slave love story.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
She is not a sub....she is a slave (BIG difference!)

This is not written as an alternate universe, but the BDSM lifestyle is an alternate lifestyle and people within it play by their rules.

She can NOT reject them (I mean, I suppose if she wanted to taint the memory of her Master/husband she could) and would never fathom doing so.

But understand this please--a slave has trust that the Master would do the right thing by them. The Master would only choose what is best for her (on whatever level that might be.) He would never choose someone who would be abhorrent to her (unless they would serve a really deep purpose and wouldn't harm (vs. hurt) the slave in any way (emotional/psychological/physical.) She consented to being his slave-period. This means she does what he says and trusts in him-period. (that is how some real life lifestyle couples live.) The Master knows his slave well enough to know what is beneficial or not for her.

As for provisions if one of them were to die--she is HIS--he could've willed her to someone or simply given her contract to someone else (he did not want to choose this option.) She is a slave and would've done whichever option he chose for her (in this case he chose beautifully at every single turn.)

There is ZERO consent listed in the book itself (meaning no negotiations etc.)What is written are her thoughts/feelings (and they are loud and clear!)

I hope this clarified things. This is not about a submissive and dominant (although they are those things too.) It is Master and slave love story.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It sounds really interesting and lovely. I'll have to pick it up sometime. :)

blaquebutterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Consent is a prerequisite for some readers, but it is not a universal feature of all erotica.

I guess the best way to say it, besides consensual non-consent is--her thoughts say yes, her actions say yes her heart says yes and her mouth never says no (neither do the above mentioned areas :) )

So I could equate it to a sex scene unfolding with a couple. One is sleeping and is woken in the midst of sex. The one waking up doesn't verbally say "Yes, I consent to this, continue." but they don't say no and they respond fully. Isn't consent implied?

Sometimes it just doesn't need to be spelled out, IMO. If all signs point to "Do me, don't stop!" then carry on!