How much sex???

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am working on two works at once. One is a cozy mystery with a teacher MC, and a crazy sidekick. She is married, but hubby is in the background. The other one has a female detective MC, she is single but damaged a bit by what she has seen on the job. Ex-drinker, she is not comfortable in social situations and dating without alcohol. She's very conscientious and caring.

I need a subplot, so I decided on a surgeon friend - and they will cross paths after his aunt tries to set them up. This is a different genre than the cozy, and to be honest, I just read and now write, so I don't pay attention to all the sub- genres. So how much sex is expected in a mystery that does go into character quite a bit?

I am a teacher and principal in training, and I planned to write the cozy series under my own name, but i have to be careful here. Anything over PG ( and I am not comfortable with explicit, "he did this and she did that" anyway) I would write under another name. I wouldn't be ok writing Janet Evanovich scenes in my real name.

Knowing that, what do you think readers generally expect in this slightly less cheery genre?

Thanks,
Nancy
I know every reader is different, I'm just trying to pick your brains for opinions.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea about the particulars of your genre. That, frankly, is your job to know before you write in it. That being said, sex for sex sake in any genre besides erotica is just bad or pandering writing imo. If the sex is necessary to the story or character you have no choice but to write it in anyway you are comfortable with. Saying you are a teacher - have a real life and job - that you worry about as you write, is worrisome in itself. Leave it at the door or don't write in that genre or don't write the scene. It seems what you are asking is -

is the work marketable without gratuitous sex - IDK. If you are uncomfortable writing sex that is necessary - well that's an issue. I say - write what the work needs, no more or less, and if it is good and true no one will judge you for your art unless its not art but something else you are ashamed of which I'm sure you hope it will not be.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Write what you want to write. It will find its audience. :)

There are no rules. Do what seems right to you, at your comfort level. Have fun!

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but I am not sure what the rules for genres are, if there are any. I know cozy mysteries are lighter, but that seems to be changing, and there are lots of different types of crime fiction. I think I'm asking because I don't want to have more detailed crimes, and then naive elsewhere.

I know it's my job to find this out, Relayer, but I thought I'd ask. It was a stupid question.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
There are no stupid questions. :) Sex is one of those things you can certainly leave out without harming the story, unless you are writing erotica. I guess even Romance novels have a lot of it too, but I don't read those, so I'm not sure. My favorite crime novels don't have explicit sex. If there is any, we leave the scene "at the door."

But you really do need to read what you want to write. Read some police procedurals, if that's what this is. Or romantic suspense, if that's where it's going. Read in your genre.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
You are finding out about it when you ask on here. Asking what seems to be obvious to some is what AW is for. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
My opinion is, write what the story calls for. If it turns out to be explicit, and you're concerned for your reputation outside of writing, I'd suggest a pen name. But since you've already expressed a reluctance to write a sex scene explicitly, then I doubt this will become an issue. The reader can and will read between the lines.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I'll get looking for some books in the same vein as mine and see what they do. I really appreciate your help,
Nancy

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It is absolutely NOT a stupid question and asking here is wise.

Jesey has it right--read lots.

My opinion is that you're going to find that the answer is that there are no real rules for this sort of thing so you should write what you're comfortable with. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for mysterys and thrillers. some have sex, some don't. I have never read one that is graphic.

As Jude said- write what feels right to you.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Fading to black shouldn't be a problem. Play it carefully and you might have crossover between the cozy readers and the other series (as it doesn't sound like it's completely grimdark and gritty... just with a few more serious/darker bits).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of the last mystery I read that had explicit sex (and I get irritated by romance in cozies, so I'd probably remember).
If you need a subplot about her personal life, and you're portraying her as "damaged a bit by what she has seen on the job. Ex-drinker, she is not comfortable in social situations and dating without alcohol", why not show them gradually getting to know each other, as their busy lives and personal problems keep pulling them apart: if it isn't her case, it's his surgery, etc. If he's also not in a relationship (presuming that's why the aunt is involved) that suggests he has issues of his own.
Add in the aunt, pressing as to how it's going, that should keep you going for a couple of books. Which, if you need a subplot, is probably more useful than instasex.
And, when you get to actual sex, go to black, close the doors. I'm sure I'm not the only reader who can fill in the blanks for themselves.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of the last mystery I read that had explicit sex (and I get irritated by romance in cozies, so I'd probably remember).
If you need a subplot about her personal life, and you're portraying her as "damaged a bit by what she has seen on the job. Ex-drinker, she is not comfortable in social situations and dating without alcohol", why not show them gradually getting to know each other, as their busy lives and personal problems keep pulling them apart: if it isn't her case, it's his surgery, etc. If he's also not in a relationship (presuming that's why the aunt is involved) that suggests he has issues of his own.
Add in the aunt, pressing as to how it's going, that should keep you going for a couple of books. Which, if you need a subplot, is probably more useful than instasex.
And, when you get to actual sex, go to black, close the doors. I'm sure I'm not the only reader who can fill in the blanks for themselves.

Hi,
Thank you everyone! That is more of where I am going - she's hesitant, he's hurt by divorce, they both are incredibly busy. I like the idea of a crossover genre. I, too, don't need to read about sex when reading a mystery. The Evanovich subplot ot two men annoys and distracts me, but I was getting he impression that publishers wanted it, even in crime and mysteries.

Great suggestions from everyone - thank you!
Nancy

PlannerDan

Planner Dan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danboutwell.wix.com
Hi all,
.... So how much sex is expected in a mystery that does go into character quite a bit? ....I am a teacher and principal in training, and I planned to write the cozy series under my own name, but i have to be careful here.
I know every reader is different, I'm just trying to pick your brains for opinions.

If the scene calls for it and it moves the story logically along, then write the scene. However, you can let the sex happen without being explicit. I also feel uncomfortable being explicit in my stories. So, I build up to it and create the mood but don't go into a blow by blow account of the act. That simply is not necessary. I'm confident you can write this so your readers know what happened without watching it.

http://danboutwell.wix.com/saying-it-with-words

Last edited:

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
The Evanovich subplot ot two men annoys and distracts me, but I was getting he impression that publishers wanted it, even in crime and mysteries.

If you're basing your decisions on Evanovich's books, you're not reading widely enough. Those, albeit popular, books are comedic women's fiction disguised as MTS.

Sex, or a version of courtship/seduction, is often part and parcel of "suspense", which has lately become a description of women in jeopardy. A lot of former romance writers pen this kind of suspense. Tami Hoag is a good example of this type.

But Mystery and Crime Thrillers seldom have explicit sex scenes, or even any sex scenes at all. The "fade to black cut to the next day" approach to sex scenes is common. Sanford employs this in his Virgil Flowers series. The late Robert Parker used this with great alacrity with his characters Spenser and Susan.

For many readers, there's something unsavory about reading explicit sex scenes juxtaposed with gory/sad/tragic crime scene descriptions.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
One thing that can be said is that sex scenes without a specific purpose in terms of enhancing the storyline or character development will more likely be turnoffs than sex scenes which do serve a purpose in terms of revealing something about the characters. Ten sex scenes that reveals something about the character in question will likely be less grating and irritating than one sex scene that is there for no other purpose than having a sex scene. Or at least I would see it that way, and i could well be alone here but there you go.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I actually do read a lot of mysteries and classics, as well, it just seems that the trend is headed to more and explicit. I gave Evanovich as an example. I do actually read. In fact, I find it hard to find good books, because I have read so much in my life, it seems like I've read ten versions of each one already. I'm always looking for good mysteries to read. I just can't get grabbed by most of them.

Thank you for your help, all,
Nancy

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Knowing that, what do you think readers generally expect in this slightly less cheery genre?
A good story, engaging characters and good writing.

If you have those, forget writing a "genre" and write the book. If you don't have those, forget about writing the book under any genre.

When the book is done, let your agent figure out the genre to sell it in.

Jeff

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Okay, so I just started reading last year's Edgar winner, Dennis Lehane's Live By Night. Entirely too much romance and sex for my tastes. Some crime, sure, but what's up with the love interest? I'm still reading it, but it better shape up soon.

So I guess, if you want to win the Edgar, you have to include sex. Lots of it, too.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if I came off harsh. Your question was not stupid. I'm wondering if you can research publishers that publish the genre who may have guidelines in what should and shouldn't go into your story - like romance publishers do for their writers.

In the end, its your story. I'm sure what ever you do will reflect your tastes and values.

Good luck.

Last edited:

7luckyclovers

Lost somewhere in my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I deal with this as well. A lot of us do I think, so thanks for asking the question!
Maybe concentrating more on the feelings of the characters in the moment instead of the actual "act" would help. Especially if she's damaged goods. New relationships are so much fun to write. The awkwardness, butterflies, the first kiss. I know that might sound cheesy, but I like romance. Messy, heartfelt, and shows character growth is okay by me, and that can be done with out the mention of a fella's throbbing manhood and KY Jelly.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know that might sound cheesy, but I like romance. Messy, heartfelt, and shows character growth is okay by me, and that can be done with out the mention of a fella's throbbing manhood and KY Jelly.

Well, shoot, cuts the heart right out of "Romeo Does Juliet", that.

;)

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I got tired of Stuart Woods' MC, Stone Barrington, because he seemed to spend more time in bed with his girlfriends than he did solving the mystery - and the sex didn't really add anything to the story.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow cozy writer! I finally found one!

I have to disagree with the "no rules" thing. When it comes to regular mystery books, that's probably the case. But there are definitely rules when it comes to cozy mysteries. I've been reading them all my life, I'm involved with cozy mystery groups online, I've met some cozy mystery authors and I'm friends with three well known cozy mystery authors.

What makes a cozy a cozy at all is the fact that they're light-hearted, not overly serious, lots of fun, and where justice is always served. A few authors have snuck some "minor" cuss words into their novels but, in general, cozy fans don't want it. Personally, if I run across more than one "d*mn," the book is done. If I see even one "b*tch," that author is done. Cozies don't cuss.

When it comes to violence, the murder never happens "live." Always off-screen. Cozy readers don't want to read/see the gruesome details.

And sex? Not in a cozy mystery. There are many romances and some of them might imply that a couple slept together but that's the limit. I can't think of any off-hand that even imply it but there could be. Sex is not romance. A cozy romance is about looking at each other, holding hands, sitting next to each other, heads on shoulders, hugs and a gentle kiss.

The three basic rules of a cozy are no sex, no violence, no cussing. That's what makes them cozy. They're books you can read to your grandma.

If you have a way to read books electronically, I recommend going to iTunes and getting Nancy J. Cohen's book called Writing the Cozy Mystery. It's only 42 pages (no fluff) and is only $.99. ($6.99 cover price.) You can read it in an hour at most. It's very helpful and informative.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I don't know if my book would be a cozy anymore. My MC is an ex-drinker, and the towns folks are "swingers," although there are no details and they come across as bumbling, bad swingers who are mostly absurd.

My other mystery is much more gritty, but still - she's not the sleep-around type. A kiss for the first time in 4 years threw her off balance.

Nancy