I am stuck - needing help with a healing journey

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
My character, Chago, a mercenary, at the end of September 1719, was heartbroken for having lost his lover and feeling guilty of her death (as she had been executed for helping the enemy - ie him - when they couldn't have him). But he won't be heartbroken forever.

He needed a healing journey... and it started on his return way, where he met in a tavern an old man he knew. And this one tried to comfort him... and to tell him that he'd have to find a way to go forward and give up revenge, which wouldn't get her alive again. That old man had lost a wife and a child in childbirth too, and he was now old and still alive. He had found refuge in study and travelling. Chago would find his too. He also was advised to go home and spend some time with his family.

Going home, Chago found the pleasant surprise to meet his brother, a priest in a mission in the jungle, returned for a few weeks for a fundraising and spending a while at home too. They hadn't seen each other for 5 years. He got to confess everything to his brother, both as best friend in childhood and as a priest able to give advice and forgiveness. They prayed together the novena for the rest of the dead lover's soul, and a novena for Chago's healing.

They spent together (and with their sister's family) All Saints' Day and All Soul's Day (Dia de los Muertos, which is a different way of celebrating, when the living ones are convinced that the beloved deceased are coming back to partake in the food, beverages and pastimes they liked). It ended with him having to tell to everybody Hermione 's story and it made sense for that day. So, he was asked to play her favourite songs, to write her a letter putting there everything which had remained untold between them, and to stand vigil that night as it was customary. His sister also promised to write her name on the list with deceased family for any mass of the dead, even when he won't be there anymore. And during the vigil, he saw Hermione (which made perfect sense for the holiday and the people's beliefs). She was telling him that he was not guilty of her death, and that he would find reasons to live his life as fully as she wasn't allowed to. So, this was the beginning of November...

While talking to his brother, his brother advised him to go on three pilgrimages too, to pray to the miracle-making saints both for the rest of Hermione's soul and for his healing and guidance. These pilgrimages are offering him the needed healing step by step. Up to now, I wrote two (the second ongoing, but I know what to write, it is just a matter of time) and I have troubles with the third, the last step in his healing journey.

He went on 18-th of November to Santa Virgen del Rosariohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Rosary_of_Chiquinquirá in Maracaibo. There he met an old flame who had tried to encourage him and also put some things in perspective. He left with a hope that healing was just a matter of time, and that he should consciously seek that her memory help him in furthering other ambitions he had; that in Hermione's memory he should do things to make her proud of him. She also gave him the idea that, since he was into guitar and music, he should write a ballad about her and sing it at all the fires... including in the town where she was executed.

On 17-th of December he undertook the second pilgrimage, at San Lazarohttp://www.trulycuba.com/el-santuario-de-san-lázaro-en-el-rincón-saint-lazarus-shrine-el-rincón in Cuba, learning more here.

On the way of the pilgrims from Havana to Rincon, he defended an old woman who was attacked by a big dog. He killed the dog, helped her, bandaged her wounds, and they keep together to do the remaining of the road. It turned out that she was a santera (you'd say voodoo priestess, it's close) and she had some wisdom to share too once he told his story. She'd cast the shells for him to read the future (what some santeros do, divination in cawrie shells), telling him that he'd have a change of path and some difficulties, but that she saw for him a family some time in the future.

On 2-nd of February 1720 he'll complete the pilgrimages with the one of La Virgen de la Caridad... and for here I need help what message to send (and how to send it)... or what to happen during this last pilgrimage.

The ending point will be that the "change of path" meant that after the last pilgrimage he understands he can't be a mercenary anymore, and he finds what to become next: a smuggler.

I know what will happen after the pilgrimage to show him the smuggler path (or maybe this will happen on the road to the pilgrimage? Not sure): he'd find a little sloop for sale, at a very cheap price, because the former owner had serious problems and needed money urgently (bail money anyone? Debt prison and selling all the goods at drumbeat?) and he'll buy it... naming it Hermione, of course. (For a while I wasn't sure what could he become after ceasing to be a mercenary, until it dawned on me that it is the best way - it makes sense for the character and he can further help the story by travelling here and there as needed).

I am stuck with this last pilgrimage, as concerns the signs which should make him understand to give up his current trade. Help, please?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a message he can interpret as warning him off ever being responsible for killing (which is the normal business of a mercenary, not so much of a smuggler) --poss. as a way to atone for the guilt he feels for her death, he must never cause the death of another. The signs that carry the message I can't help with -- I don't know the culture/symbology you're working with.