Cozy Mystery Author Advances

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
When my first novel came out I did a library appearance where one person showed up. I read to her from the book, she bought a copy, we chatted about writing. It wasn't fabulous, but it wasn't a disaster. :) What I've been trying to do this second time around is invite other authors to appear with me. It's harder to ignore a panel of mystery authors, especially when one of them has something like 13 books and over 500 short stories published. I'm glad he's my friend and lives in the next town. :) And, as my husband says, a real class act.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
If you're writing in an established series then that's probably why you're working on a for-hire basis. Not the genre.

The series is new. I'm contracted to write at least the first three books. But the idea originated with the publisher.

And I have talked about this with several other write-for-hire authors who have started the same way. One of them I met at Bouchercon in Cleveland when her first write-for-hire cozy came out. She just announced today she just sold another three book cozy series to Berkley that will be under her name.

And I know a few more who have broken into Berkley this way.

I understand why some would think this kind of contract is less than idea--because it is. But at this stage in my career (beginning), it was worth taking.

And I'm not complaining. My agent was clear about the contract terms. And it's done for me exactly what I'd hoped.

One thing my savvy agent did do is take out a standard clause that allowed them to contract more books under the same terms. Instead, they have to negotiate with her.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a taboo question, it just may not have a hugely satisfying answer. One of the best ways to find out this info is to go to a bookstore and look in the acknowledgement sections of some of the bestselling cozy mysteries. Authors usually thank their agents there. Next to that, you can look online for the websites and blogs of successful cozy mystery authors. Often you'll find agents mentioned there in the 'Contact' section or sometimes 'Media' sections.

Another good way, although it's a subscription service, is to look at Publishers Marketplace and see who has sold what.

Beyond that, it will be surprising if anyone here will know a list of big-selling cozy agents off the top of their heads. Maybe if some of the agents who frequent the board come into this thread, you'll catch a list, but other than that, I can't see how that's going to happen.

Thanks, Perks. Maybe it's just the way I've perceived certain things on this forum that cause me to feel that certain questions are taboo. There are a lot of very strong opinions around here at times!

I appreciate your research tips and will definitely use them. Still, I find it difficult to believe that there aren't agents who are renowned for their work with cozies. Certainly there are agents who are renowned in every genre, just as there are top publishers.

Jenkies! A real mystery to solve!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Still, I find it difficult to believe that there aren't agents who are renowned for their work with cozies. Certainly there are agents who are renowned in every genre, just as there are top publishers.

There are? I mean, maybe there are. But not as boldly as you might think. Most agents (and boy did I research a LOT of agents) have an array of genres and sub-genres that they gravitate to and sell in.

So I write crime fiction with a literary bent and I couldn't tell you any particular susperstars in that one avenue. It just doesn't work that way.

If you have any cozy mystery authors who you particularly admire, definitely look to pitch their agents, or if you research agents and agencies who will consider cozy mysteries and sell a lot of manuscripts in general, that's a fine bet, too. But I don't know that there's a Holy Grail cozy agent any more than there's a Holy Grail literary crime agent.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
If your publisher sends you on a book tour you are going to have a few Ace Hardware moments. I've seen signings where not one person has turned up. I've seen signings where the author has sat at her table for two hours and no one has even spoken to her, let alone bought her book. It's brutal, and if I were offered a signing I'd think very carefully before agreeing to it.

Oh, this I fully expect to happen. Especially at the start; the lonely writer sitting at a card table as people pass by and wonder who this nobody is. It's going to happen. But that's more than okay with me. I'd still do it because it's not an ego thing for me. I'm not trying to prove anything and I'm not delicate, thin skinned or easily bruised. Sure, I'd like to talk to people and sell books but whatever happens, it's part of the experience and THAT'S what I'm after.

Have you ever watched the TV show Big Brother? I have. Boy, those folks get mean and vicious, don't they? That show is not about who you are as a person but how well you can deceive, backstab and manipulate others. Those are traits I despise in folks. But I'd go on that show in a heartbeat just for the experience! I don't care that I wouldn't win, I'd just want to stay in the house as long as possible to experience it.

I mean that I don't want to be sat in an actual Ace Hardware store in desperation for promotion. That would actually embarrass me to no end! I don't know if people have actually done that but I've watched films where writers have tried to promote their books in very unusual places out of desperation.

When I am ready for a proper book tour, I want to keep it relevant, professionally managed but fun and personable. Forgive me if I speak as though it's a sure thing to happen. I don't mean to come across prideful or egotistical. I just really believe that I can do this. My life has been filled with adventures around the world and, whenever I've set my mind to something, I've accomplished it most of the time. It doesn't do to keep negative thoughts and self doubt actively running through your head all the time. Given what I've been through, I'm just determined to have fun and allow myself to dream and go for it!

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
When my first novel came out I did a library appearance where one person showed up. I read to her from the book, she bought a copy, we chatted about writing. It wasn't fabulous, but it wasn't a disaster. :) What I've been trying to do this second time around is invite other authors to appear with me. It's harder to ignore a panel of mystery authors, especially when one of them has something like 13 books and over 500 short stories published. I'm glad he's my friend and lives in the next town. :) And, as my husband says, a real class act.

I think that was incredibly kind of you to read to that one person. It sounds like you treated them with the same grace and gratitude that you would have given had there been a whole room full of people. That tells me a lot about you as a person. Your mystery author friend may be a class act but so are you.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My husband asked me what I do when only two people show up to an event instead of twenty. My answer? "Same thing, just with a lot more eye contact."

It's fun, but it doesn't sell enough books to justify the travel expenses. Newbie authors almost never get elaborate book tours. The promo money is much better spent elsewhere.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
The series is new. I'm contracted to write at least the first three books. But the idea originated with the publisher.

And I have talked about this with several other write-for-hire authors who have started the same way. One of them I met at Bouchercon in Cleveland when her first write-for-hire cozy came out. She just announced today she just sold another three book cozy series to Berkley that will be under her name.

And I know a few more who have broken into Berkley this way.

I understand why some would think this kind of contract is less than idea--because it is. But at this stage in my career (beginning), it was worth taking.

And I'm not complaining. My agent was clear about the contract terms. And it's done for me exactly what I'd hoped.

One thing my savvy agent did do is take out a standard clause that allowed them to contract more books under the same terms. Instead, they have to negotiate with her.

There are many doors of opportunity around us. It sounds like you found the right one for you. I'm glad this is working out to your expectations!

So, the publisher came up with an idea for a cozy series and hired you to write the first three books of that series? That's intriguing. It makes me curious to know what hook they thought of that excited them so much. (I don't expect you to tell me by any means. But I am curious!) Since you don't have your own series out first, it makes me wonder why the publisher would choose an unpublished writer (of their own cozy series) to write their series.

All rhetorical questions, I promise. My core thoughts behind them are seeing how the publisher thinks.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
There are? I mean, maybe there are. But not as boldly as you might think. Most agents (and boy did I research a LOT of agents) have an array of genres and sub-genres that they gravitate to and sell in.

So I write crime fiction with a literary bent and I couldn't tell you any particular susperstars in that one avenue. It just doesn't work that way.

If you have any cozy mystery authors who you particularly admire, definitely look to pitch their agents, or if you research agents and agencies who will consider cozy mysteries and sell a lot of manuscripts in general, that's a fine bet, too. But I don't know that there's a Holy Grail cozy agent any more than there's a Holy Grail literary crime agent.

Well, if there are, I'll find them. I'm a self-described Research King. By the time I research a something, say amputating a leg, I could perform it by the time I'm done researching it. (Darn perfectionistic, over-analyzing brain!)

The reason I find it strange is because there are superstars in every occupation if you look for them. Those folks who stands out due to their success rate, personality, passion and/or drive. And there certainly must be publishers who, when they think publishing great cozies, have certain agents who come to mind that they enjoy hearing from and working with because of their work.

Heck, when I worked for Wells Fargo years ago, I was in the top 1% of the company nationwide and was awarded a free trip to DisneyWorld with luxury accommodations and given the royal treatment everywhere I went. No lines, free gifts, free everything... If even Wells Fargo recognizes the "best of the best" (and I only worked in the Phone Bank), there must be stand out agents that are recognized for their successes.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
My husband asked me what I do when only two people show up to an event instead of twenty. My answer? "Same thing, just with a lot more eye contact."

It's fun, but it doesn't sell enough books to justify the travel expenses. Newbie authors almost never get elaborate book tours. The promo money is much better spent elsewhere.
I agree on both counts.