Injurious July 500 words/day thread--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You know the rules. Word count and cheering/and or consolation only. Maybe some chocolate. :Sun:

How did you do in June? What are your goals for July? How's the WIP coming? Is your favorite team doing well in the World Cup?

Scratch that one. Go to the Life of Crime and Chocolate thread for that one. :D

Ready... set... go July!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
[peeking in]

So, the goal is 500 words per day, huh? Can I play?

I've been working on my WIP for about four months. The first 40K words came tumbling out in two months. Since then...17K. Okay, part of that is that I do revise as I write--so the more I write, the more I have to edit along the way. But I'm hoping having a place to check in will reduce the number of days when I don't write anything at all.

Starting the day at 57,073.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Did fairly okay, but my wordcounts suffered b/c I've been editing my novella for an antho. I hope to get more actual words in this go around. I'm aiming for 30k on the main WIP, Grave Touched.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
June went better than expected, in a way. I got my third draft done, got some feedback on that, and did a fourth draft as well. And I didn't pare it down below 130K...but I got really close. :)

For July, I will need to make revisions based on notes I expect to get on the fourth draft. I'd also like to add another 10K to the sequel. I am circling around fragments of a plot (the character development stuff is pretty easy, since I know where they're all headed), but I still don't have a big, coherent hook. So maybe my July goal should be to come up with more of a plot for the sequel.

Onward!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
June was crap. Actually. We moved and had furniture to build and cleaning to do and everything was a mess and the dogs acted crazy. Not a single word was written.

July started with procrastination. But, I aim to write quite a few words this month.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 1,927 words this morning to bring me to 59,000 exactly (yes, I did add two words to bring me there when I realized how close I was). But this isn't going to happen often--I was lucky to have a fun, meaty scene to dig into today. Now I've got to transition to The Next Big Important Bit, which might mean a few days of screwing around until I figure out the best way to do it. Plus I've got to read over what I just wrote and fix it.

But I'm still pretty happy. :snoopy:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is a YA Noir, so I only half fit into this genre. Hope that's ok.

Started about a week and a half ago and am 17.5k words in. My goal is to do 750-1000 words a day though weekends can be hard when the house is extra noisy and everyone is home, demanding my attention.

Off to do my words for the day if I can convince my two year old to leave my lap!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Lindz, you'd be welcome even if you didn't half fit. :) Glad you're here.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Nothing for me yesterday. Between copyedits and feeling crappy, I'd didn't feel up to it. Tonight I'll get some words for sure.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:welcome: lindz! Pretty sure you're safe - I write SFF, and they haven't booted me yet. :)

After desperately trying to procrastinate by hitting the AW forums last night, I finally gave in and wrote 757 words on the sequel. Random bit toward the end, so it will almost certainly have to be redone; but it's helping me work out a plot.

Saoirse, I hope you feel better soon.

Here's to a fabulous July, everyone! :e2cheer:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I got some done in June, with breaks for the wedding.

But looking ahead, my goal for July is lofty. 40,000 words. Why? Because I have to. Thanks to a faulty memory, the due date of my novel is a full month earlier than I originally thought. Good thing I don't have a day job.

Yesterday's total: 2882.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Did 1,300 yesterday and 1,750 today to finish my chapter 8. This was my first real beginning the investigation chapter so just couldn't stop.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really hesitant to call myself a writer these days because I haven't actually written anything in a while. But today I rewrote a scene. Don't know the total, but there are new words, written today. I consider that a success.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Hurray for progress!

June wasn't the best month, but it wasn't the worst either. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but any progress is better than none. Shooting to wrap this one up this month, and I've got no excuses, as I am taking the entire month off from working.

Only managed 582 today, so far, and that may be it. Wrapped up a scene and got started on the next and I may have written myself and my MC into a corner. I'll let it sit for a day and go back over it, see if I have to do a complete rewrite of the previous scene, or if I can figure a way out of the corner. Anyone have a spare door or window they aren't using? WIP is now at 74,338!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm really hesitant to call myself a writer these days because I haven't actually written anything in a while. But today I rewrote a scene. Don't know the total, but there are new words, written today. I consider that a success.

I'm in your corner. I think I just about managed three digits last month.

Going for at least four digits this time around. Five would be nice.

Cheering you on, Alex, and everyone else too. Good luck!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I just beat my single-day record for most words in a day by writing 3,375 words today.

I had no idea I could write that fast.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'll dip a toe in here and see how the water is.

Was working on a Family Saga Historical and hated every minute of it. It was backstory gone wild for a have-no-idea-what-the-heck genre novel that does include crimes and a policeman (but no detection). I'd already written some 30+K words on that novel. Went back to it and loved it. That's what I did in June. Plus a little revising now that I do know a good bit more of the backstory.

Don't expect to make 500 words per day. If I average 200, I'm happy.

Oh, and if this is the place to say: I'm aiming to complete sometime next year.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for all the progress! So today we've had everything from just sitting down to write again to managing a record number of words... Well done, folks.

I didn't start the new chapter today, but I fleshed out a few things that were scanty in the last two chapters so still added 179 words to the total count. That's 2106 for the month.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Managed the 500 on both days so far, but seeing as I spent all day in front of my laptop staring at things it's more or less failing...

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
812 words of my next chapter and rewrote 289 of my last chapter that wasn't quite working. A lot better now.

Marlys

Registered
Reaction score
Managed the 500 on both days so far, but seeing as I spent all day in front of my laptop staring at things it's more or less failing...

That is not "failing." That is forward progress.

Congrats to lindz and BfloGal, too!

I put the WIP aside today to work on a synopsis for another story that I'm revising to try to sell. Then I went to that ms. and have been busy with it today. I suppose between the synopsis and some additions I made, I produced more than 500 words, but I'm only keeping official count on the WIP.

Last edited: