Is my novel a thriller or a horror?

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
Help! I still don't know if my book is a thriller or a horror, for marketing purposes. I'm about to publish, and I really cannot decide.

Here is a bit of information that may help you point me in the right direction...

My book:
-Takes place both in everyday reality and within the dreams of the protagonists
-Has a few monsters, but does not have much violence or death (the monsters are psychological archetypes of fear). There is no gore in the book.
-Has a detective, but he doesn't do any crime solving; he is just looking for someone
-Has a creepy, surreal atmosphere, but the atmosphere is designed to be unsettling and surreal; it does NOT have the intention of inciting terror in the reader
-Has cliff hangers, suspense, tension

In my opinion, the book is a psychological thriller or a suspense thriller. I think it is not a horror because it is not designed to terrify the reader; merely to generate an unsettling feeling of loneliness/confusion.

However, many thrillers have crime-solving elements, and there is no crime-solving here. Furthermore, there are surreal elements (I am hesitant to call them "paranormal" because the monsters do not exist in the real world, only the dream). For these reasons, a thriller-fan may consider this book a horror.

Lastly, and most importantly, I have looked at a lot of novels in the Horror genre, and many of them are about the fear of impending death. They are about monsters and ghosts and being chased or watched or stalked. My book, conversely, is about learning from our fear, examining how it controls and shapes us, and overcoming the traumas that inspire those fears. This book has more of a "soul" than a lot of the run of the mill gore/creature/killer books.

Please help me. It would mean a lot to me.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
If you mean your self publishing then you can probably get away with putting in both categories. But I would say horror. Horror doesn't have to be gory. To me it sounds like literary horror.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Is there a sense of hope at the end?

For me, true horror has an absence of hope. Any triumph is temporary; horror is confronting things we would rather hide and realising they will always be there.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> Takes place both in everyday reality and within the dreams of the protagonists

That would be Fantasy.

-cb

thelastwordsmith

Brother's Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like horror to me. You have dreams and monsters. Horror stories use lots of MTS elements so I guess you can call it whatever you want if you're publishing it.

Last edited:

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
It does have a sense of hope- the ending is bittersweet, but the protagonist comes out a better person than s/he was before.

Also, it has been mentioned to me that it is fantasy- however, I'm reluctant to put it into the fantasy genre, because most people seeking fantasy are either looking for high fantasy with elves and dragons, or dark fantasy with vampires.

I think that my book would basically run aground in the fantasy genre.
Do you kind folks know if a book can be marketed on Amazon in multiple genres?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You can choose two categories on Amazon. I'd suggest looking at what categories are available. Some you choose directly. Others you choose the main overall category and add the right keyword. See here for the keywords: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A200PDGPEIQX41

Though from what you've said, I think the paranormal suspense category might be a nice one for you. To get in that, you pick whatever they're calling the thriller/suspense category and then make sure you have paranormal as a keyword.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've described a lot of the elements and the tone of your book but I still couldn't suggest one specific genre over another. What is your blurb? Knowing the actual plot and some of the stakes may make it easier for someone here to help you pinpoint your genre.