What Are You Researching Today?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be one of the big ones: historical era or culture, it could be a smaller part of what will be your WIP.

I'm currently reading Slavery in the Roman World (Sandra R Joshell), because my Roman spy has gone undercover as an escaped slave, and things are about to go horribly wrong . . .

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm doing some research on the Regency Era for an Alt History book. I know quite a lot about the clothing, but need more background on society, travel, and technology of the era.

Eddy Rod-Kubry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading an article on tactics of the Franco-Prussian War:

Tactics in the Franco-Prussian War

I'm mainly interested in the transition from muzzle-loaders to breech-loaders and how tactics were seemingly lagging for a while. For example, the French were still attacking in columns when breech-loading small arms and artillery made such compact formations highly vulnerable during frontal attacks.

It's a good article.

Eddy Rod-Kubry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing some research on the Regency Era for an Alt History book. I know quite a lot about the clothing, but need more background on society, travel, and technology of the era.

Oh interesting. I like that era, though from the Empire perspective.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Malaya and Singapore 1941-42. I love research - especially self-pubbed personal histories by people who lived through it.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
I've been researching early medieval armor. It started as a WIP project, but now it's rapidly become a fascination.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Manchu mythology and folklore. The Manchus had their own mythology seperate from the Chinese.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Doing some more research on Djinn. Pretty tough. Probably need to head to the university library this week and try to look for more source material.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
There's a good book called The World of the Jinn and Devils that might help you. Its available on Amazon pretty cheap.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Doesn't have to be one of the big ones: historical era or culture, it could be a smaller part of what will be your WIP.

I'm currently reading Slavery in the Roman World (Sandra R Joshell), because my Roman spy has gone undercover as an escaped slave, and things are about to go horribly wrong . . .

Hah, slavery too! Mine's Slavery in Private Households Toward the End of the Third Millenium B.C. (what a mouthful:D)

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com

Ooh! My WIP is Georgian, but I did quite a bit of research on the Regency. Let me know if you need any help.

I'm doing a little light research on the Dollar Princesses of the Victorian Era for a new idea!

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I am researching the Black pharaohs,Nubian empire and kingdom of Kush.

I am also looking up Irish folklore. I love me some banshees!

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Daily life in Merovingian France. If anyone has any recommendations, lay them on me. I can find sources about daily life under Charlemagne and daily life in Gallo-Roman France. But not much in between. I've got clothing and jewelry covered. Trying to figure out diet and what sorts of buildings people would inhabit.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I am googling pictures of poisoned cats. Really. It's not pleasant and i wish i didn't have to look, but... sometimes you just have to kill a cat, and be able to describe it realistically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I am researching the Black pharaohs,Nubian empire and kingdom of Kush.

I am also looking up Irish folklore. I love me some banshees!

I've seen those pharoahs. 11 and 12th Dynasties.

Meanwhile, I've been reading a book on the Achaemenid Empire (over a thousand years after the 11th Dynasty) -- yes those same Persians who overwhelmed the Spartans at Thermopylae in 480 BC and then eventually financed the Spartan's eventual drubbing of Athens in 404 BC -- just to note a few of their historical doings. They also helped the Judeans rebuild their temple in Jerusalem.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I am googling pictures of poisoned cats. Really. It's not pleasant and i wish i didn't have to look, but... sometimes you just have to kill a cat, and be able to describe it realistically.

:(

And yes, god help me if anyone ever looked at my search history.
"How much force does it take to break someone's neck?"
"How long do broken ribs take to heal?"
"How does flaying work?"

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Lutist and royal musician Jacques Gautier, and why he was imprisoned and tortured in 1627 for something so secret that only the King and the Duke of Buckingham could interrogate him. Alas, it seems the only source of info is the possibly unfounded speculations of the Venetian ambassador to London (who seems convinced it was a sex scandal).