• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spirit Magazine

Kimberly3301

Hi all. I am a new user to this board, and am hoping some of you may be able to help me.

I am a 30 year old woman that has recently decided to pursue her "writing career." I have found this board so useful, and hope that none of you think I am silly for asking this question :eek: I recently submitted 6 articles to Spirit Magazine, 4 of which they responded that they will be published. I have written the editor numerous emails pertaining to questions I have had, since this is my first venture. I have had few responses, but never had any of my questions answered. I first heard of this new magazine on this board, months ago. I am reluctant to submit anymore articles for "publication," as I feel the amount of contact I have had with her is so minimal, and they have a very generic website set up. She will not answer questions such as how often their magazine is published, legality of information in my articles, etc. Is there a way I can find out if this is legitimate? Have any of you ever heard of, or had contact with Spirit Magazine? I like to trust people until I have a reason not to, but am just stuck on this one. Any suggestions?

Thank you all so much for your help.

Kimberly

James D Macdonald

Is it this place? <a href="http://www.spiritmag.ca/" target="_new">www.spiritmag.ca/</a>

If so, they claim to be a quarterly, which means they come out four times a year.

The important questions are: what do they pay, and did the check clear?

Note: When you're writing for any publication it's a very good idea to look at several issues of the magazine.

Trusting people is nice. Trusting publishers .... always check out publishers before submitting your work.

Kimberly3301

oh boy...

Hi, they are as of now, a non-paying market. I guess I should've looked into this first. Oh well, we learn by our mistakes!

Thank you for your help, I REALLY appreciate it.:grin

RichMar

Paying on Publication

Usually, even well-paying mags that pay on publication can be trying. The chief reason for paying on publication is that the editor can maintain a pile of acceptances thereby giving him a cushion on deadlines, and the luxury of culling pieces. If it's never printed, you never get paid. Meanwhile, you've tied up your pieces that may fair well in another market. Sometimes an editor will say, (usually after holding it for a while and after you inquire) that you can still submit your acceptances to other markets. Of course you can--without a contract or a payment, all he's doing is filing them.

James D Macdonald

Re: Paying on Publication

...you can still submit your acceptances to other markets. Of course you can--without a contract or a payment, all he's doing is filing them.

Of course you can't. That would be simultaneous submission. Withdraw your work before you submit it to another market. The consequences of failing to do so can be ... unfortunate for your career.

Don't sim-sub unless both publishers' guidelines explicitly say you can.

bentbrains

Paying on Publication

Dear Kimberly,
First of all, congratulations on starting your writing career. Your thirties are a wonderful time to begin. Second of all, there are no hard, fast rules to publishing and like life, you will need to hustle a little bit. For example, many people warn against simultaneous submissions, but I have done it and even had the same piece accepted by both magazines! I spoke with the editor of the smaller magazine (the one who offered less payment) and MADE UP SOME EXCUSE. WE ARE WRITERS AFTER ALL, AND LYING IS A FORM OF FICTION! But seriously, be careful not to heed anyones' advice to the letter (including me!), unless they're paying your bills. Most people on this web site are at the same level as you are, and some are simply self published author (nothing wrong with that). Like every other business, writing is a game, chances are your piece will be rejected by most publishers so I say, go for the simultaneous submissions and whatever else you can get away with. Congrats on your published articles. No pay, but a great start!

Tish Davidson

Re: Paying on Publication

Bentbrainhas come in here with a lot of assumptions about the people on this board. Although he certainly is entitled to express his opinion, his advice is not the standard advice of professional writers, so perhaps he should share some of his background with us if he wants to be taken seriously.

SRHowen

--

on most BB there are not many pros--so bent assumed that everyone here is at stage one.

And you know what they say about assume.

It's always a good idea to check out the names before saying hey they don't know any more than--

James D is a pro in the total sense of the word, and his advice has more worth than many here.

There are many other pro writers and editors here--pro writers, not self published.

Shawn

James D Macdonald

Re: --

Simultaneous submission when the publishers' guidelines don't explicitly allow it is an intensely bad idea. It falls under the heading of Betting Against Yourself.

Editors really do talk with one another. They tell Horrid Author Stories the same way authors tell Horrid Editor Stories.

You don't want a reputation as a Horrid Author.

Tish Davidson

Re: --

They also tell Good Author Stories about authors who are easy to work with and who meet deadlines. I know because I
was asked to write a book for Scholastic because of a "Good Author" referral. Legit publishing 's a small world

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't reopened. Looks like Spirit is a ghost.