Seeking Bitcoin-curious Authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameismonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Jaz and I've been helping my once-published now self-published writer/brother-in-law Michael Hickins for some time. I've recently decided to build a Bitcoin-based eBook marketplace, mainly out of boredom, but I'm curious to see if it's remotely interesting to anyone.

The site is at http://bitbooks.co (that's not a typo, it's .co not .com) and what I'm hoping for is a few authors who are interested in helping me see how well I built the thing. The main idea is you can upload files to your heart's content, and sell them for Bitcoin.

I know that sounds a little wacky, but like I said, I was bored :eek:)

If you have the time to run by and kick the tires I'd be glad to answer any questions or generally respond to feedback, all of which would be very much appreciated.

So as to not divert the conversation too much, I won't take this space to discuss Bitcoin itself, I'm merely hoping to talk with a few self-publishing authors who are interested in accepting Bitcoin. I know there's a self-publishing section here but I thought it more appropriate I post in the introduction forum.

Thanks in advance!

Jaz

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cooler.

Not sure you can talk about a site, or sales, in bitcoins, without talking about what bitcoin is, and is not. I have been reading about bitcoin a lot lately, but I am still now sure I understand what bitcoin is, how one mines and mints bitcoins, and what back the value of a bitcoin.

No offense, but as a writer, I don't give my work away for monopoly money. If I can pay the rent, or my car payment, insurance, doctors bills, etc with it, then why would I want to sell my work on a site that deals in bitcoins?

I do know the DHS, ATF, and Treasury department are very worried about sales using bitcoins. Not sure how that is going to pan out...

mynameismonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Fair comment, I just didn't want the thread to become a Bitcoin discussion. I'll link this https://www.weusecoins.com/en/ as an intro for folks looking to learn about it, but in this case I'm hoping to find folks who are already aware and interested in using it.

As for monopoly money, it's no different from the monopoly money you get by buying credits on any number of content services. I just bought $100 worth of Xbox monopoly money which I use to buy movies on their service. All tokens and store credits are monopoly money. The comment about ATF etc. seems a tad alarmist. These agencies are worried about all purchases made with all forms of currency for items that are being traded illegally, Bitcoin or otherwise.

The simple truth is people _are_ paying their bills with Bitcoin, either directly or through currency exchanges.

Anyhoo, I'm not here to entice people into using Bitcoin, just curious to see if folks are looking for ways to operate in this market.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just didn't want the thread to become a Bitcoin discussion.

You're right; it shouldn't. This part of the forum is for new members to introduce themselves, not interest members in a venture.

I'm thinking it might be moved so that you can come back and let us welcome you.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Moved the thread and reinstated Mr. Monkey, after an email.

Proceed with caution, though - the bitcoin thing seems pretty iffy to me, as well.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the bitcoin thing seems pretty iffy to me

This bit-money puts me in mind of how GIs were paid when my dad, uncles, and brother were in Korea and I was in Vietnam.

Its more polite names were “monopoly money” or “bogus bucks.” Ostensibly it was to thwart the black market, but if you didn’t spend it exactly right, failed to turn it in for new script on the secret day it changed, had got hold of some counterfeit stuff, or if you fell victim to a dozen other scams, it became worthless scraps of very crisp butt-wipe.

militaryscriptquarter.jpg

Above was a "queer quarter" in Vietnam circa 1970.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Hasn't the value of bitcoin gone down the toilet recently?
Yes. Though, truthfully, it also went sky high for a while before it went down.

I bought some bitcoin once... for a not exactly "good" purchases. It was a tedious process that took way too long. I'd never do it again. The price fluctuation is much too wild, and the products you buy with it... well, everything correlates to the dollar, anyway. No one really gives a fuck about the bitcoin. They're just a medium to hold the money until you can transfer them into dollars, or whatever the currency of your country is.

I don't see it taking off amongst anyone but online drug dealers and those with the online black market and you know. And people with too much time on their hands. And people who think the dollar and the euro are going to hell.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Nevertheless, bitcoins have trade-able value. If not wildly fluctuating in value was seen as a criteria, a lot of actual money wouldn't be money either.

I would not see it as a major income, but it might be fun.

Docaggie

Registered
Reaction score
The challenge, as I see it, to a bitcoin ebook marketplace is the relative value of the coin versus the cost of a book.
At the current(ish) rate of $100 per bitcoin, you'll have to have a system in place for handling fractional bitcoins. And I don't know enough about the currency system to know whether that's even allowed.

Also, these days when I think of bitcoin I don't think of ebooks. I think of buying things that are almost black market.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting idea Monkey. I use BTC and will contact through your site when my book is ready soon....

thanks

AbbyBabble

abbybabble.blogspot.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abbygoldsmith.com
Thanks, Jaz. I'm interested in selling my future ebooks in BTC. I'll contact your site when I'm ready to publish.

I glanced over your site, and there are a few grammar errors, just FYI.

'Oh, alright then' should be 'Oh, all right then.'

We have several checkout options,; or and each one will give you a confirmed price, and a time within which to pay.

I realize your site probably hasn't been up for a very long time. But maybe you can come back here periodically and let us know how it's doing? I'd love to know:
- How long it's been in operation
- How many customers buy ebooks per week, or per month
- Maybe a breakdown of sales per genre of fiction, and/or per format of ebook

Thanks for taking the time to come here and let people know.

Status
Not open for further replies.