Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I always mean to try the ST flash challenge, but I can't commit to the time. At 8pm on a Saturday i'm usually trying to prevent my little darlings from killing each other. Not a great time for me to be writing under a time constraint.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did it once. And I did okay, voting wise. Which felt good. But I haven't been able to sell the story. :Shrug: And again, I HATE to waste time. If I felt like I could do it and come out with something publishable, I'd totally put in the time. It takes a lot of time to read and vote/comment on the participating stories.

It was a good experience. But I think I need to feel better about what I can generate in a short time-frame and to a specific prompt before I try it again. Otherwise I'm left with a story I feel like I can't DO anything with. And I'm not short on those. :rolleyes:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I do need something, though, to get me going again. Haven't been subbing much, haven't been writing much in the way of horror, either. Need something, but I don't know what.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
none of my pieces have sold yet either Soap, however I've participated in every contest. I have a box full of little gems just waiting to be polished.

It doesn't matter if I get votes or not there. Quite a bit of the comments and suggestions have been excellent and I know I've been progressing. I got a 3rd place once. (I about fell in the floor) but haven't been closer than that.

But I'm writing. Every other month I have something that makes me step beyond what I'm thinking of and put words on the page.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and my style for short stories at least isn't really horror (or fantasy or sf for that matter) genre. It's more literary fiction with speculative elements. It can fit but not always. lol

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite a bit of the comments and suggestions have been excellent and I know I've been progressing.
That's great. That's useful. The time I did it, I don't feel like I got much in the way of helpful suggestions. At all. But I think it was because there were A LOT of people participating that time. I want to say...30? And everyone was kind of burnt out giving more than a "I liked it" or "I didn't like it".

I got a 3rd place once. (I about fell in the floor) but haven't been closer than that.
That's awesome!

But I'm writing. Every other month I have something that makes me step beyond what I'm thinking of and put words on the page.
Yeah, I can see how it would be good for practice, even if you don't get the perfect story out of it. Just the act of challenging yourself on a regular basis.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH! I forgot to say. We're having a comic convention here this weekend, and Pam from True Blood is going to be there!

:hooray: :hooray:

:e2bummed: I'm not going though. But I was considering hanging around outside the convention center, you know, like a stalker. :D

I wonder what she'll do while she's in town. :idea:

I'm gonna go check her twitter feed!

Also, Cas from Supernatural. And a handful of other celebs. But those are the two I'd most like to see.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I love Cas! I found out today that my manager at work loves SPN, too.

I got another short story stubbed today. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of pubs. I kept track of them on Duotrope but my subscription ran out and I'm broke until payday. I really need to win the lottery.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Coffee: *leaves coffee, donuts, and other writing fuel out for the hounds*

I have a character with a sick obsession to "feed" people, who's been clericalized to give communion to the sick even though she's a lay person, and now has had that duty revoked because of a bitchy do-gooder who doesn't think she's worthy of doing it.

Should be fun to write, right? :evil

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
541043_517418158310194_1556793565_n.jpg

I'm here for you, Soapy.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

gotta love the tunnel-o-hugs

*backs away slowly*

*gets trampled on by a fleeing Soapy*

:e2thud:

Heya, Hounds. :hi:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay, every woman for herself...I get it. :p

How's the writing/editing coming along?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too busy today to do anything other than let my current short story plot roll around inside my brain. :Shrug: It's needed, though. Still unsure it's going to come together like it needs to. Maybe (if I'm lucky) I'll get it all down on paper tomorrow.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you should fix some nachoes tomorrow, that often helps work out the plot bunnies and stuff so I've heard. :D

Good luck on your story and the ones you have subbed out. :)

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You ladies running from me is going to make me cry and give me a stutter.

Last night I had a very vivid dream of meteorites. Good changes are coming. I'm still at 3 in-submission currently. Recently I was looking at all the un-subbed short stories I have and I got upset. My goal is to clean house and get them out.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You ladies running from me is going to make me cry and give me a stutter.

Which is precisely the reaction most people have when entering the cuddle tunnel.

:popcorn:

Last night I had a very vivid dream of meteorites.

I want to go to Russia... It'd be like being in a Michael Bay film. But not stupid. annoying, and filled with plot holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.