• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Murder 203 Conference

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gang: Does anyone have experience with the Murder 203 conference? I just got an invite to it. It sounds worthwhile--but is it? It's a 6.5-hour drive from my house, plus registration and hotel, and I'm already registered for Malice Domestic April 28-May1.

I know that you're only a debut author once, but I have to draw the line somewhere, and this may be it.

Thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I just got an invite to it. It sounds worthwhile--but is it?

Are they offering to put you on panels and give you a signing? (And be prepared to have no one show up for the signing.)

6.5 hours is on the outside edge of how far I'll go for a con (there's one I do that for, and I don't go every year). And I only do that because I have friends in the area (I used to live nearby) who I wouldn't see otherwise.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
They are offering a signing. I don't have the email here at work, so I'll have to double-check on the panels.

I'm driving 7 hours to go to Malice April 28-May 1 this year. My choice--cheaper than plane fare, I can bring there and take home what I please, then I have a car-pooler from there to a one-day in Oakmont, PA after. Thus, this 6.5-hour thing had better offer me a personal minion for the 2 days, yanno? :tongue

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the conventions I attend are within a 4-6 hour drive. But I live in North Texas, and there are some good conventions that are an 8 or so hour drive away that I'd consider if I got an invitation.

Jim is right, though. Don't expect a mob at the autograph table. Then you can be pleasantly surprised if it happens!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'm from Connecticut and I've never heard of the con, but then again I'm more sci-fi/fantasy than mystery.

It's being held at the library (in a very rural area), so I don't think it's going to have a major attendance, like a con held at a hotel.

That being said, it looks like fun, but if it were me -- I wouldn't drive the 6.5 hours for it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last conference was in '12, and site is now gone.