Help! What do I do?

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have partials out with two agents, one I just sent out, so that's fine, the other agent has had my manuscript for two months now. I sent a nudge a few weeks ago and got back a confirmation that she has it. I was content to wait. NOW I have another agent asking for a partial manuscript, but he doesn't take simultaneous submissions. Well, I have it out with two people already! I sent him a polite email explaining, and he said if they pass I should send it to him. That's great! Now do I just sit back and wait? How long should I wait? (I don't want him to completely forget who I am and what my manuscript is.) Am I being paranoid? What's the proper procedure here. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or be rude.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Definitely let the agent know. They may go no farther, but there are other consequences if you aren't completely transparent about your status. IMO, those other consequences are likely worse.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Okay, I have partials out with two agents, one I just sent out, so that's fine, the other agent has had my manuscript for two months now. I sent a nudge a few weeks ago and got back a confirmation that she has it. I was content to wait. NOW I have another agent asking for a partial manuscript, but he doesn't take simultaneous submissions. Well, I have it out with two people already! I sent him a polite email explaining, and he said if they pass I should send it to him. That's great! Now do I just sit back and wait? How long should I wait? (I don't want him to completely forget who I am and what my manuscript is.) Am I being paranoid? What's the proper procedure here. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or be rude.

I wouldn't worry about him forgetting about you. He might, but when you remind him that he asked you to submit (include that email below the email you send to him), he'll remember and treat your submission accordingly.

Side note: If you grant an exclusive submission, ask the agent for a date of when the exclusive expires. I've had friends give exclusives and get their rejections six months later because the agent forgot to send it earlier.
bo do lot nu goi cam do boi xe day cho be vay cong so nu ban buon quan ao album anh cuoi dep
ETA: Yea for another Victoria BC author!

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Side note: If you grant an exclusive submission, ask the agent for a date of when the exclusive expires. I've had friends give exclusives and get their rejections six months later because the agent forgot to send it earlier.

Better yet, tell, don't ask. In general, exclusives are bad for writers. If you decide you want to grant one, therefore, set a time limit, usually 4 to 6 weeks. That way, if the agent doesn't respond within that time frame, you're free to start submitting again while waiting for a resonse.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
4 weeks is a long time. An agent should be able to read and make a decision in a week, two maximum.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Four weeks doesn't seem so long considering the first agent I sent it to has had my partial for two months! I know she's super busy, but the waiting is killing me, lol.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's why you don't give indefinite exclusives. Agents are busy, if you don't force the issue they'll keep it forever and reject you anyhow.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
4 weeks is a long time. An agent should be able to read and make a decision in a week, two maximum.

Agents are primarily responsible to their existing clients. They have to take care of them before they turn to new submissions. So while they often can make a decision about a book in a week or two (or more quickly--I've had offers to represent me in a couple of days) they will often take much longer.

That's why you don't give indefinite exclusives. Agents are busy, if you don't force the issue they'll keep it forever and reject you anyhow.

I agree that writers shouldn't give indefinite exclusives, but forcing the issue with an agent will often result in a rejection, unread.

As for them rejecting you anyhow--it doesn't always happen, you know.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Better yet, tell, don't ask. In general, exclusives are bad for writers. If you decide you want to grant one, therefore, set a time limit, usually 4 to 6 weeks. That way, if the agent doesn't respond within that time frame, you're free to start submitting again while waiting for a resonse.

Totally in agreement with this. Maybe even earlier than 4 to 6 weeks. Perhaps even 2-4, I say. Exclusives are difficult to determine whether or not to give out. That puts a hold on it if others come out of the woodwork and want it too. Again, if you are able to give this exclusive agent a window, give a set time for sure and stay on it. IF this agent gets one and the time is up, email and ask. IF they still stall, I would remove the hold on it and move on. That's just my two cents. Good Luck to you!!!

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

Yes, assuming he/she drops everything else and just reads. Unfortunately, all the good ones are overworked and constantly juggling, and priority always goes to one's current clients, not potential ones. I agree with those who said that exclusives should be avoided wherever possible and limited in time when they are granted; but four to six weeks is reasonable.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You didn't say whether the first two agents it's with now are on exclusives. Are they? Or is it just a matter of the new agent wanting one?

I find it really unusual that the new agent would want an exclusive on a partial. That's normally reserved for fulls. Did he actually say that in his response?

If so, and he's not willing to read until the others are done, then I'd simply send an email to the other agents and indicate that there is interest in a "larger portion" of the manuscript (than you sent them). Sometimes that helps a bit.

Ultimately, you're going to have to weigh which of the agents you're most interested in signing with. If it's the new agent, then you can simply withdraw the manuscript from availability from the others (recognizing that you might not get another chance) or just leave it as is. It does sound like the new agent is willing to wait. If he says he is, he probably is.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
So an agent has asked for an exclusive on a partial, without even reading it first. Do I understand that correctly?

I have nothing against exclusives, and I certainly understand an agent wanting to claim "dibs" on a wonderful manuscript that nobody is currently considering -- and in return for that exclusive is willing to expedite the process. This arrangement can work out incredibly well for both parties.

But in this case, I think I would say "thanks, but no thanks" and continue querying agents who recognize that authors normally query multiple agents simultaneously, and grant exclusives only on fulls. Why would I put all my chips on one number of the roulette wheel for an unspecified period of time with an agent who has yet to read a word of my manuscript?

But that's just me.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the agent does want an exclusive on a partial, and he's a pretty big fish, so it would be tempting to do as suggested and withdraw just for a chance from him, but the first agent who has had it for awhile is huge (I'd give my right leg to have her...okay, maybe not a leg, but at least some fingers) and I've already given her a nudge so I don't want to bother her again. And the exclusive agent didn't seem to have a problem waiting, so I guess I just....wait. Arg...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Usually if an agent asks for an exclusive and I have other agents reading (which has always been the case), I have sent a response with the partial/full attached, saying "someone else is reading, but if you still wish to read it, it's attached." Every one of them has read it. Without the attachment, you're inviting them to say they'll wait. But what happens if you get a third, non-exclusive request before the first non-exclusive request gets a response? What happens if you're waiting 15 months on this first agent (I have one out that long)?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'd email the first agent and say, "[X] at [Y] agency has asked for an exclusive read on this manuscript. Since you have had this manuscript for two months, may I ask you to please make your decision within the next three weeks? Thank you so much."

Then email the second agent and say the same thing except more graciously and without any mention of how long s/he's had it, since s/he just got it.

Three weeks is a reasonable time frame, and telling them that the competition is hot on their trail will only increase their interest in your manuscript.

If you don't hear back from one or the other of them, wait the three weeks, send the manuscript to agent three (with a limit on how long you'll give him an exclusive; again, three weeks is quite generous), and email the other two to politely withdraw the manuscript from submission. Hopefully it won't come to that, however.

By the way, I agree with Sage's advice, that you should have sent agent three the partial with a letter apologizing for the fact that you can't give him an exclusive since two other agents already have the material. He probably would have read it anyway.

However, as long as you're courteous and professional with everyone, I expect the situation will work out well regardless.

Best of luck! Fingers crossed that you wind up with a wonderful agent!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd explain to him that other agents are already reading the manuscript so you can't give him an exclusive: but that you'll stop submitting, and if anyone responds to the queries you've already sent you won't give it to anyone else for the next two to four weeks (specify the length of time you think appropriate), and if one of the agents who is already reading it makes you an offer you'll let him know before responding to that offer.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
So an agent has asked for an exclusive on a partial, without even reading it first. Do I understand that correctly?

How else would it work? They don't read something until after it's submitted, so they can't ask for a partial/full -- exclusive or otherwise -- after they've read it. The request for an exclusive submission can only come before they read the submission.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
How else would it work? They don't read something until after it's submitted, so they can't ask for a partial/full -- exclusive or otherwise -- after they've read it. The request for an exclusive submission can only come before they read the submission.
It's not the before/after aspect I find unusual (though my agent did ask for an exclusive after reading my full). What I find unusual is that the agent requested an exclusive on a partial, not a full. I've never heard of an agent requesting an exclusive that wasn't on a full.

So when an agent asks for an exclusive on a partial, how does that work? Do you give him exclusive time to read the partial, and then more exclusive time to read the full if he requests? Moreover, the mention that this agent "doesn't take simultaneous submissions" sounds like his request to exclusivity extends even to queries, which is asking a lot.

Of course, if his client list is full(ish), and he's happy with the way things are, he's free to operate any way he likes. But the OP needs to consider what's best for her.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is spot on. Don't think of it as bothering the agent who has the manuscript. You're just keeping everyone updated on the status of things and looking out for the best options for your work. An agent will be able to quickly determine whether they want to keep reading and represent you or if they have too full of a load or it's not a good fit for them. If you're worried about being a nuisance...you're probably not one. ;)
I'd email the first agent and say, "[X] at [Y] agency has asked for an exclusive read on this manuscript. Since you have had this manuscript for two months, may I ask you to please make your decision within the next three weeks? Thank you so much."

Then email the second agent and say the same thing except more graciously and without any mention of how long s/he's had it, since s/he just got it.

Three weeks is a reasonable time frame, and telling them that the competition is hot on their trail will only increase their interest in your manuscript.

If you don't hear back from one or the other of them, wait the three weeks, send the manuscript to agent three (with a limit on how long you'll give him an exclusive; again, three weeks is quite generous), and email the other two to politely withdraw the manuscript from submission. Hopefully it won't come to that, however.

By the way, I agree with Sage's advice, that you should have sent agent three the partial with a letter apologizing for the fact that you can't give him an exclusive since two other agents already have the material. He probably would have read it anyway.

However, as long as you're courteous and professional with everyone, I expect the situation will work out well regardless.

Best of luck! Fingers crossed that you wind up with a wonderful agent!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Usually if an agent asks for an exclusive and I have other agents reading (which has always been the case), I have sent a response with the partial/full attached, saying "someone else is reading, but if you still wish to read it, it's attached." Every one of them has read it.

Of course they have, it's human nature: how can you not peek? I think Sage's suggestion is a very smart way of handling that situation. For the same reason I generally advise writers to send the first few pages of their book with the query letter, even if the agent doesn't ask for it. If the query letter interests them, they will look at the pages and quickly determine whether or not they want to read more. Saves everybody time.

twright

Registered
Reaction score
So the impression I'm getting here is that unless an agent specifically requests a exclusive, just assume that it's not and feel free to send out full and partials to those who request it.

I have a situation where I have both a full and a partial out from my first two queries, and am getting ready to send out more. So just wanted to make sure there's not a conflict.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
No; no conflict. Most agents don't request exclusives, and if they do, they tell you. I've not had anyone request an exclusive for me this querying round.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So the impression I'm getting here is that unless an agent specifically requests a exclusive, just assume that it's not and feel free to send out full and partials to those who request it.

I have a situation where I have both a full and a partial out from my first two queries, and am getting ready to send out more. So just wanted to make sure there's not a conflict.

No, no conflict. And :welcome: to AW and many congratulations on the requests!