What we're reading, the SFF edition

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
Iron Council, by China Mieville.

I've been putting this off for a while as I don't want to say goodbye to Bas-Lag. It's a great series with some incredible world building. After I've finished up, I'll be moving on to either Half a King by Joe Abercrombie or Wool by Hugh Howey.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
After a visit to nonfiction land with The Lost City of Z (disappointing, sadly), back to tackle another book on my list.

Note: This might be a bit long, but there are no spoilers here; any plot details mentioned can be found in/inferred from the description of the book.

Mirror Sight by Kristen Britain

I've been a bit anxious to take this one on, honestly. Scores of scathing reviews and outright anger and hatred for this tale of time travel directly continuing the events of the last book, Blackveil. Catapulted nearly 200 years into the future, series heroine Karigan gets a taste of an utterly bleak reality. With magic all but gone from the world, can Karigan find a way to alter the past and return home or is everything lost, forever?

I can see why so many people hate this book. Reader expectations, for one. What started out as a fantasy adventure series is suddenly a Victorianesque steampunk time travel story. Karigan is basically on her own (for the 200 pages or so I've read so far anyway), with only glimpses of the friends and allies we've come to love over the last four books. She has new allies in this future land of course, but they seem so bland compared to the Riders we've come to know so well. And one of the biggest sticking points of all: the enemy is not who one would expect. What strange fate has twisted this future, so close and yet so distant?

This book has some massive obstacles for fans and it shows.

For myself...eh, it's hard to say. The steampunk setting doesn't bother me; I've read and enjoyed it before. I do find it interesting to get a look at how the world develops, given how often fantasy worlds seem to stay in stasis. Kristen's done an admirable job of portraying this advancement, if nothing else.

As for the time travel, this also does not bother me overmuch. Given what happened at the end of Blackveil, it's a logical consequence of Karigan's actions. Regardless of intent, messing with stuff like that is and should be dangerous. I'm also not particularly adverse to time travel in general as long as it's done well.

For myself there are really two main sticking points: first, the characters. I'm not going to lie, I'm really missing some of my favorites, some of whom haven't been major players in two books or more. One of my favorite parts of the series, the dynamic between Karigan and Zachary, is completely missing. The overall tone has also gotten more serious and I find I'm missing some of the lighter moments in all of this plot-fueled desolation.

Second, the plot. It's still early enough that obviously I don't know much more than Karigan does at this point, but so far I'm just not seeing what I expected as far as enemies go. I'm sure it will be explained later on, but it makes me as lost and confused as Karigan, wondering what the hell happened.

Paradoxically, even though I should dislike it, I find myself unable to put it down. The glimpses of old friends, new mysteries on both sides of time, the horror of Sacoridia's future-past. It both repels and pulls at me. I need to know what happened and why, and if Karigan can really pull this one off. Curiosity, and an interesting story about an interesting character. Sometimes that really is all you need.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I had no trouble blowing Mirror Sight off. You raise good points, but for me the biggest flaw is that most of the book is entirely unnecessary. Karigan has time-travelled before and gotten the information she needed quickly enough. That could have been just as easily done here but for some reason it got dragged out. Worse, it has zero consequences beyond Karigan gaining a lost love when she already has a love she can't be with. What's the point of this one when the first one already did a good job of creating drama?

Anyways, Cast in Flame and Magic Breaks both came out today.
I am a very happy person. :)
That's 2 of my 3 favorite Urban Fantasy stories, which are Chronicles of Elantra, Kate Daniels, and October Daye.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Since it was free on Amazon, I decided to try the first seven chapters of The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. I really, really want to read the rest, but it's thirteen dollars on the kindle. :cry:

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey. I devoured the first seven books in the series, but now it's been a four year gap between the last book and this one. I'll admit that I picked it up out of a sense of weary obligation to the series. But now I'm really enjoying it, and I'm not sure why I thought I wouldn't. I think I didn't find Moirin's story as intriguing as
Phedre's and then Imriel's, but now that my memory of those trilogies has faded some, Moirin isn't paling by comparison.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since it was free on Amazon, I decided to try the first seven chapters of The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. I really, really want to read the rest, but it's thirteen dollars on the kindle. :cry:

I really liked that one.

I'm reading Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey. I devoured the first seven books in the series, but now it's been a four year gap between the last book and this one. I'll admit that I picked it up out of a sense of weary obligation to the series. But now I'm really enjoying it, and I'm not sure why I thought I wouldn't. I think I didn't find Moirin's story as intriguing as
Phedre's and then Imriel's, but now that my memory of those trilogies has faded some, Moirin isn't paling by comparison.

I have the first book of that on my list, but I never feel in a mood to go get it. I see that it's highly regarded, but the descriptions of the book make it sound boring, and that's not good when the book is 1,000 words long. I've also seen a lot of people say the book is very focused on sex, and I really don't care that much for reading about sex. Not that I have a problem with it. It's just not what I look for in a book.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some fantasy novels with dark humor?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. That would be over my limit for a Kindle edition of just about anything.

I buy a lot of use Paperbacks from Amazon. A lot!

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Note: Possible spoilers for Mirror Sight ahead, nothing of major detail if I can avoid it.

I had no trouble blowing Mirror Sight off. You raise good points, but for me the biggest flaw is that most of the book is entirely unnecessary. Karigan has time-travelled before and gotten the information she needed quickly enough. That could have been just as easily done here but for some reason it got dragged out. Worse, it has zero consequences beyond Karigan gaining a lost love when she already has a love she can't be with. What's the point of this one when the first one already did a good job of creating drama?

I literally just finished it a few minutes ago and now I am able to see the whole picture. I actually do agree with your conclusion, that much of the book is not necessary. In fact, I think it would have made an excellent novella, ending with her return to Sacoridia and then an actual book picking up with her return, rather than combining the two. Basically it would have worked better for me as a side adventure, not a main plot. I enjoyed the story for what it was but I don't think it really needed to be the bulk of the 700+ pages that it was, especially knowing in advance that it was essentially going to be a 'dream' sequence. I never once doubted she'd make it back so there was no real sense of risk or tension, only curiosity in how it was all going to unfold.

As an aside, we have no way of knowing yet what the consequences of her time travel were. What about the mirror sight? No idea what it's for but obviously it'll be important in the future (heh). It seems to me like Karigan is gaining an awful lot of new powers and abilities, possibly related to the avatar thing, but who's to say she won't be paying the price for them later on? Admittedly it's a poor argument, as so far it seems like she's being given these pieces of power as a reward for her experiences. It doesn't seem far-fetched to me that she's being set up for a direct confrontation with Amberhill/Mornhaven at some point, though.

I also agree the romance thing was completely unnecessary and honestly, I felt like it was out of Karigan's character. I have a feeling Kristen has no idea how to work with Karigan and Zachary's relationship as things are now, and that was her trying to work out an alternative. I'd rather it have been left out entirely. Things are complicated enough with all the Second Empire stuff without bringing in ghost romances and alternate timelines. Besides...I really like the dynamic between them. It hits the wish fulfillment in all the right places, you know? Not that I want anything to happen to Estora, but I would really like to see them together someday. They make such a cute couple. :p Bet their fights would be terrifying for the castle staff though, lol.

Ah, all this talk of them makes me want to reread the first two books. By far my favorites in the series, especially First Rider's Call. Maybe that's what I'll read next! :)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Can anyone recommend some fantasy novels with dark humor?

Joe Abercrombie & Mark Lawrence both have this going on in their work. Their books aren't what you'd call funny, but there's definitely some grim humour in there especially in Abercrombie's stuff.

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
The Wind Up Girl.

It's fantastic so far. Wonderful understanding of culture.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Abercrombie & Mark Lawrence both have this going on in their work. Their books aren't what you'd call funny, but there's definitely some grim humour in there especially in Abercrombie's stuff.

Yeah, really enjoy Abercrombie, it's rare to find books with witty, dark humor. I'll check out the other guy, thanks.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Half a King by Abercrombie. Good book, well-written as always, but the plot not as original as his other work. Perhaps even a little cliche. Not as much darkness or humor either. But the twists were great.

I'll pretty much read anything he writes at this point. Really wish he'd get back to his first law world, but looks like that might be awhile.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just read (and posted a quick review of) an old fantasy picture book from childhood, unearthed when I reorganized a bookshelf: The Woodland Folk in Dragonland, by Tony Wolf. Imaginative illustrations - which are what I remember - though the story's sadly dated and sexist.

I'm also about a hundred pages into The Eyes of the Dragon, by Stephen King, a somewhat dark take on a "once-upon-a-time" fantasy tale. Not a bad read, though nothing spectacular so far. I'm still turning pages, at least.

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished two books today.

In urban fantasy: Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia. It gives you pretty much what you expect from the title. It's fun but relatively simple. Note: if you're not into guns, it's probably not the book for you.

In secondary world fantasy: Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. This book was also quite a bit of fun, though I struggled a bit at first. At the start of the book, the main character was torturing someone, which didn't help me warm to him. By the end, though, I did. This is another book that doesn't do anything groundbreaking, but it tells a fast-paced story with plenty of action.

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
Rogues -- short story collection with an intro by George RR Martin, the audiobook version.

Some are good, some are background noise, but that can sometimes be attributed to a narrator who "reads" instead of being the narrative voice. Each story has a different narrator. The various takes on the "rogue" ethos make the book diverting and interesting overall, especially if you're invested in the rogue mindset.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Between books again.

I'm sad to say although I tried, I really did, I couldn't even make it through the 25 page sample of A Darkness Forged in Fire. A shame.

I'm kind of in the mood for a stand alone. It's just series overload right now. Literally every book in my TBR pile is part of something. Trilogies, epics, even a prequel novel. It would be nice to be able to just...read a book.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Between books again.

I'm sad to say although I tried, I really did, I couldn't even make it through the 25 page sample of A Darkness Forged in Fire. A shame.

I'm kind of in the mood for a stand alone. It's just series overload right now. Literally every book in my TBR pile is part of something. Trilogies, epics, even a prequel novel. It would be nice to be able to just...read a book.

Yeah, I couldn't either, even though I really wanted to like it. I am disappoint. :(

I hear you on the standalone thing. It's unusual for me, since I tend to prefer series, but maybe it's because I'm working on my own that I don't want to invest multiple volumes of time and thought into someone else's world right now. I'm reading Neverwhere right now, and enjoying it, but I'm definitely open to more recommendations!

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
On the SFF side of my reading, I skimmed through the rest of Snow Crash. I got somewhat bored at the info-dumps and religous talk, and I can't get into some of the characters. Also, I felt the brief sex scene was un-sexy and unnecessary (and a bit gross?). (I don't mind sex scenes, but I prefer them in romance stories. This sex scene wasn't even sexy or erotic--if it was meant to be erotic, anyway. And I've read erotica stuff.) Still, it's easier to understand compared to Gibson's poetic prose, and it has some interesting worldbuilding (like Gibson's Nueromancer).

It's a really good book, but it's not to my taste, that's all. :)

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying the Percy Jackson series. I'm also enjoying Ursula LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness. :) Makes me want to re-read H.G. Wells' stuff. (I loved, loved, loved H.G. Wells' Time Machine and Island of Dr. M. :D )

Last edited:

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished White Night by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files #9). It was a very enjoyable read, but I didn't like it as much as I've liked other books in the series. Maybe it was just my frame of mind. I don't know.

Still, it's so much fun, and Butcher is one of those writers that I'll pretty much read anything he writes.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
More urban fantasy. I finished Sacrificial Magic by AW's own Stacia Kane (her fourth Downside Ghosts book). These books are quite enjoyable, though I'll admit I start skimming when there's a sex scene (just not my thing). These books are also a great example of how to make an antihero work. Chess is completely messed up, but she usually is trying to do the right thing.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
More urban fantasy. I finished Sacrificial Magic by AW's own Stacia Kane (her fourth Downside Ghosts book). These books are quite enjoyable, though I'll admit I start skimming when there's a sex scene (just not my thing). These books are also a great example of how to make an antihero work. Chess is completely messed up, but she usually is trying to do the right thing.

Oh, I've been wanting to read those, but I know she's one of those authors who doesn't believe in "fade to black". Really great writing, based on the samples of her work I've read, but I'm not into sex scenes. :(

Detailed sex scenes are what made me stop reading some adult (especially paranormal) romances and M/M romances for a long time.

Edit: I saw some MG scifi-ish books ("Quantum League", "The Lost Planet") and some superhero MG stories, which was pretty awesome. Well, "Quantum League: Spell Robbers" could be sort of science-fantasy, because the kids have some kind of superpowers. :)

Last edited:

Ken Horn

I drank what?
Registered
Reaction score
Have burned through quite a few titles and series recently so lets see here goes.

Fantasy:
The Dresden Files & Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
Butcher tells a great story usually a good deal of humor thrown in fun reads

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Herne
A great series following a 2000 year old druid who has a long list of enemies among the supernatural world.. joined by his trusty wolfhound Oberon the two mentally converse throughout the stories an will leave you laughing out loud causing friends an loved ones to look at you funny

The Mageborn series by Michael G Manning
A fun series I found when I ran out of titles with my usual author stable a fun approach to magic with a modern logical twist and humor

Science Fiction:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Fantastic standalone title, can't suggest this one to enough folks. if you love 80's pop culture you can't miss this one

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell aka John G Hemry
A fun space fleet drama also has a follow on series featuring the MC

Old Man's War series John Scalzi
fantastic space military series one of my top 10 Sci Fi favorites

Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia
if you like monster hunters, guns and epic battles with the supernatural this is the series for you check it out.

hmmm think that's everything I've read in the last couple months for further old favorites for both fantasy an sci fi drop me a pm I have a long long list of other titles I'd suggest in a heartbeat

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan (the second in his Powder Mage series, following Promise of Blood). This book was simply amazing, as was the first in the series. This is gunpowder fantasy done right. Lots of action. Good characters (sympathetic but flawed). Great magic system.

McClellan is becoming one of my new favorite fantasy writers.