The Eldritch Tomb of Unknowable Caffeine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It's hot.

Biking went good until I wiped out in a spectacular fashion. First time it's ever happened. The bike is fine, but I managed scrape and bruise my knee and hands. At least nothing broke. Work's going to be fun tomorrow.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Blegh. Just spent all day moving. First I somehow managed to misplace my new keys not 48 hours after getting them. That got solved, though it cost a lot of money I didn't want to spend. Then my brother accidentally locked his keys in his trunk. We called AAA and they popped a door open, but that set off that car alarm and locked all the electronics, so we can't get the trunk open. He's spending the night in a hotel.

At least all my stuff is out of the old place on time. Some of it's still in vehicles, but most is in the apartment now. Threw away so much stuff.

All the kittens! :tongue And that about sums up my puppy situation. My coworker's Morkie just had puppies and they're giving them away, and it has taken so. Much. Self. Control.

Aw.

Ha! As if I'd give up the secret to my kryptonite that easily. Nice try, taco-loather. Nice try. :evil

Curse you, LAM! I'll get you eventually!

It's hot.

Biking went good until I wiped out in a spectacular fashion. First time it's ever happened. The bike is fine, but I managed scrape and bruise my knee and hands. At least nothing broke. Work's going to be fun tomorrow.

Geeze, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad you didn't break anything. :Hug2:

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Evening Cantina.

@everyone - Satay sauce is a peanuty creamy thing. It is beyond delicious and one of my favorite things to cook. Some noodles and veggies and whatnot? Done. Just, done.

And regarding eclipses, eclipsii? Those things, I've been in a position to see two that I can remember, and both times it came over cloudy. I was not impressed, because I really really really love anything space. And this is BIG space stuff. One of those phenomenon that shows just how BIG this whole thing is.

And currently cooking. The GF is away on a girls night/wine tour thing tonight and tomorrow night, so I have a cold and empty bed for the first time in... a long time. I'm not a clingy person, but I'm still a little flat. Looking very much forward to our weekend away in Sydney next weekend though. I am fully prepared to spend a fortnights' pay on some fancy dinners and wines.

Annnnnnd finally, has anyone played Mafia? Not the video game, but the forum game. 3 people are mafia, the rest are not, people vote each game day to lynch somebody in the hopes of killing the mafia before the mafia kills them...

I'm thinking I wanna play a game of it here. Well, in the office party space or wherever appropriate. Just curious as to whether anybody has had experience?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
At least all my stuff is out of the old place on time. Some of it's still in vehicles, but most is in the apartment now. Threw away so much stuff.

Yay for getting the brunt of the move done and over with! :hooray:

I am NOT looking forward to leaving this place if I do manage to sell it before moving to the US. Just. So. Much. Stuff. And it's not like I can pack it all to the new place - I just can't take it all with me across the Big Pond.

You need a bigger griddle, then.

Takes me 20 minutes, tops, for an entire batch.

I believe we have talked about this before? It's not a griddle thing, because I can't get a proper one here. It's a combination of how our stove tops work with having to use a skillet. It's damn frustrating.

And the same thing happens with all similar recipes, tortillas, french toast, all of it. Just takes me ages. :(

I'm thinking I wanna play a game of it here. Well, in the office party space or wherever appropriate. Just curious as to whether anybody has had experience?

I would suggest asking either the OP Mods or the Games Mods. Run your idea by them, see what they say. :)

My friend ended up getting two kittens, both of which are adorable. If he posts anymore pictures on Facebook, I won't be able to get any writing done...

Kittehs... :hooray:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a griddle thing, because I can't get a proper one here. It's a combination of how our stove tops work with having to use a skillet. It's damn frustrating.

Come to Americaaaaaa... we are notorious pancake-enablers :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Cantina!

We had a terrible thunderstorm move through last night. A huge crack of thunder woke me out of a dead sleep and scared me half to death. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

My didn't feel too bad at work. Bending was a little difficult and I had to stick to lighter boxes. Either than that, it went fine. I must have had a dozen coworkers ask me what happened.

Yes. I make them at least once a week with chocolate chips and sometimes bananas. I also use real maple syrup, the kind that comes from a tree. :D

Last edited:

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon Cantina!

We had a terrible thunderstorm move through last night. A huge crack of thunder woke me out of a dead sleep and scared me half to death. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep.

My didn't feel too bad at work. Bending was a little difficult and I had to stick to lighter boxes. Either than that, it went fine. I must have had a dozen coworkers ask me what happened.

Had the same trouble here in England last weekend - no storms directly over-head, but all night long there were flashes and rumbles of thunder. It kept waking me up.

Yes. I make them at least once a week with chocolate chips and sometimes bananas. I also use real maple syrup, the kind that comes from a tree. :D

Careful, that stuff that comes from the tree can trap you...you don't want to be the object of a future Richard Attenborough's genetic cloning experiment, do you? Holocene Park...

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, yes, you are. :heart:

:D

I have this awesome round griddle that I use for everything.

I am so, so looking forward to setting up my new kitchen on account of these little things. I mean, it's not like I can pack all my stuff here and take it with me, so it kind of feels like setting up house for the first time, but with the knowledge and experience I have now. :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Awww, kitties. :D

Went to a write-in with my crit group today and got 2000 words for my new WIP. Had a false start of about 250 words before I realized I was starting too early to get into my MC's head. Second start was much better.

Favorite line so far: "Personally, my lady, I am a walrus." I'm almost sad this character's only a secondary. I like her already.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The last two days I've been picking at this story idea, brainstorming over on the Sandbox, doing a little spot research, talking to my sister for ideas. Once I got past the logistics issue, I'm running into a nice problem. WAY TOO MUCH! There are so many things I could put into the story, I'm not sure I can fit it all in.

I like that a whole lot better than having to scratch for enough to fill out the outline. I guess that's what I get for setting a story in Appalachia, huh?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
WAY TOO MUCH! There are so many things I could put into the story, I'm not sure I can fit it all in.

I like that a whole lot better than having to scratch for enough to fill out the outline. I guess that's what I get for setting a story in Appalachia, huh?

I, for one, would totally love to read a story set in Appalachia, esp. written by someone who genuinely sees the setting as an opportunity for richness of detail, rather than slapped-together lazy stereotypes.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I, for one, would totally love to read a story set in Appalachia, esp. written by someone who genuinely sees the setting as an opportunity for richness of detail, rather than slapped-together lazy stereotypes.

Thanks! This is gonna be Dieselpunk (marginally; I'm coming at it from a weird angle), a war story set in Appalachia. You can spot some of our conversation over on the Sandbox list, if you're curious. Think "Red Dawn", "V for Vendetta" and "Sky Captain" all mixed together with Nazis and hillbilly accents, heh heh heh.

Though the more I pick at it, the less V For Vendetta is showing up. I may have to save that for another story.

ETA: BTW, when time comes to sell this story, I already have a good place to start. There is a SMALL publishing house in the area, the Jesse Stuart Foundation; the primary requisite for their submissions is that the story be set in Appalachia, or peopled by Appalachian characters. They accept any genre, so long as it's Appalachia-centric (though they generally lean heavily toward literary fiction). The nice thing: my son works there, so he can get me past the slush pile (though I know he can't get me any further than that; the story has to stand on its own merits).

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Launch Day, Cobra! I just went to Amazon and wishlisted your book; I really enjoyed the first, so I simply MUST read the second. I wish I could buy it today, but gotta wait until my money situation is a little less dire.

BTW: Hubz got the job, I think I told y'all that. But he starts work today, yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.