Series naming question?

Anadalya

Registered
Reaction score
I have a YA fantasy manuscript written, it is called Goddesses of War. My second book will be a continuation of the first but what should I call it? Goddesses of War book two? Or something new entirely?

Having a plain old book two seems kind of boring. What are your experiences with naming your series?

JackdeNileth

Eternal Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jack-de-nileth.com
I'd try to find a title that describes the entire series, with Goddesses of War just being the subtitle of the first book.
I also had no idea how to name my series at first, as the games it is based on had a title that already existed, so I just threw some latin words together :D

Anadalya

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I see what you mean JackdeNileth. Time to brainstorm!! :) It is so hard to come up with a good catchy name...

Well if it works for your book whose to question it? Besides, Latin sounds cool :D

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
I'd reiterate what they said. A series title with subtitles for each novel. Good way of doing it.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Or names that are familiar sounding/trendy to each other.. sort of how Veronica Roth did it with her Divergent/Insurgent/DeterAllegiant series.

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
It sounds like you have "Goddesses of War" for your first book, and that can pass as your series name. So then you'll have something -- "Goddesses of Peace" (GoW #2), "Goddesses of Retribution" (GoW#3). That's perfectly fine.

Personally, I went the other way. The series is called "Not a Love Story" -- and the books are "Somehow You're Sitting Here" (NALS #1), "Holding On" (NALS #2), "As We Go" (NALS #2.5) and so on.

Both work.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
If the book/ series is about these goddesses of war, then maybe that would make a good name for the series? We'd need to find a new title for each book.

That might give us something like "The steel bra itch", book one of the Goddesses of War series. Followed by "The Leather Miniskirts of Lesbos", book two of the Goddesses of War series.

Okay, okay, maybe we'd need to find better titles. But hopefully you get the idea.

Ride the Pen

Registered
Reaction score
What I wanted to write here has already been said: Subtitles!

The beauty about a subtitle is, you have the opportunity to give your books two titles each. Often, one is a short, crisp one and the other one is more long-winded and explanatory. That way, you get both in, so to speak: The coolness and the description...

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing the subtitles!

I did types of theatre for my books and wanted to come up with an overarching name for the trilogy that tied into theatre, but all the ones I came up with were really corny so I stuck to the character name - the Micah Grey series.

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
I like Goddesses of War as a book series name. Depending on the story of your books, Goddesses of ??? might read nicely.

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your personal preference and also what the whole series covers. Goddess of War I think is a great title for either a series or a single book (or even both). Any way you choose to go, the series title should relate to the overall scope of the series. For example, these are some well known fantasy book ones and their series names:

The Lightning Thief - Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone - Harry Potter Series

The Eye of the World - The Wheel of Time Series

A Game of Thrones - A Song of Ice and Fire Series (though the TV Series is also called Game of Thrones)

There are plenty more but ideally each book will be given a title relating to that book and the series will be given a name that relates to the overall scope of all the books. That said, chances are whatever title you give the series might take on another name with the masses (as Game of Thronesbecame synonimous with A Song of Ice and Fire).

Anadalya

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone has great information, examples and ideas! :) I do like the sound of using Goddesses of War for the name of the series, but I will have to take some time to find the right subtitles for each specific book.

ckmartin

Registered
Reaction score
I will have to take some time to find the right subtitles for each specific book.

I went through this recently and kept a couple of pages in my notebook where I just scribbled vaguely related nouns, phrases, lines from songs etc all in one place without really thinking about it over a couple of weeks. Then, when I went back to it, I managed to steal bits from all over the page and finally came up with something that worked :)