The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boob

True river man...

Ed Williams: Unfortunately, PA hasn't leveled the playing field, they've put Mt. Everest on one end of it. To wit:

It`s a real shame Ed. They worked on their books so hard, sometimes for years, throwing in their blood, sweat, and soul. Then they buy posters, bookmarks, newpaper ads, copies of their book, and gawd knows what else, using money that most of them don`t even have. In the end they are broke, and their dream dies a pitiful death along side their book. It breaks my heart.

Boob.

Charlotte M. Leslie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This baby done wrote a letter

My letter is going out in the morning.. Come on people. Get busy.Every letter
counts.Each and every one is a stake through the evil heart of Publish America.
They will be held accountable one day. Let's make that a day around the corner.
They should not be allowed to rob and ruin people, because of greed.
Just a simple letter..Do it soon.

Hi ya, Boob. How's my favorite "cluck" ?

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Jeff said:
I am no genius with math, but from what I can figure this PA writer's book will top out at around 5,000 copies (that being the largest number of copies a PA book has sold that we know of yet) right around the first of the year.

That being the year 2008.

That is, if everyone who reads it actually likes it.

And recommends it to two of their friends.

And those friends buy it.

And PA actually ships it without losing the order.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Unfortunately, Jeff, none of the above are givens, especially that last one. Losing orders almost seems to be SOP for PA. :ROFL:

As to the 5,000 figure, that's a once-in-a-lifetime figure, to my knowledge. I know who did it; I don't think anyone else has come close. Sales of the average PA book are a fraction of that number. Enough to pay the back-door vanity fees, though.

Boob

Dolan: Your generalities about PA authors make no more sense than generalities about any large group of diverse people. It is rather insulting and seems to be over dramatically PA author orientated rather than about PA.

Bite me.

Charlotte M. Leslie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of bites..

I would never date two men at one time, nor drink two beers and drive my car.
And,I wouldn't sit on the fence as far as Publish America is concerned. You
say you have money...good..Why dont you hire a lawyer, Dolan. Maybe he
can help some of the other P.A. authors who don't have the means to fight
back. One bite or two? Make it two.. and make the big bite mine !!!

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Boob said:
It's expected that people will disagree from time to time on any given subject. Diverse opinions are, after all, what makes a discussion. But come on, is such rudeness really necessary?

Boob

It's expected that people will disagree from time to time on any given subject. Diverse opinions are, after all, what makes a discussion. But come on, is such rudeness really necessary?

He`s been sending me rude comments on my reputation list. He obviously dislikes me, and should keep his nasty opinions to himself. Cluck, cluck.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Guys: no flaming, please. If you really can't stop yourself from saying something like "bite me", put it in a private message. Or write it on the wall. Or scream it out your window. Just don't say it here.

Thanks.

- Victoria

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Boob said:
He`s been sending me rude comments on my reputation. He obviously dislikes me, and should keep his nasty opinions to himself. Cluck, cluck.
Reputation? Cluck, cluck. Do what Victoria suggested and take it somewhere else, please.

Boob

Listen, I made a harmless post that was my opinion. We are all allowed to have our opinions here. I appologise Victoria.

Boob.

Charlotte M. Leslie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry also..

Victoria, I am also sorry I lost my temper, and said something ugly.
Please accept my apology...

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Back when rep points were a really big deal at AWWC, the admins established the principle that giving negative rep points just because you disagree with someone's post is not cool.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Keep focus, guys. With 13,000 happy authors there's going to be a wide variety of expectations, motives, and experiences. The only constant is that PA tried to con them.

Speaking of our pals in Frederick, does anyone have any hard data on what happened to Michele Omran, and who (if anyone) replaced her?

(Here's a bet: Whoever replaces her is a young female, a recent college graduate, no experience in publishing, who has been with the company for less than a year.)

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Speaking of our pals in Frederick, does anyone have any hard data on what happened to Michele Omran, and who (if anyone) replaced her?
No word on what precipitated Michele's departure, but she may have been replaced by a Jody *Kolbyenson* (this is being spelled phonetically, based on a phone call), who was referred to as the new supervisor of Acquisitions.

Deleted member 42

The French variant on the Atlanta Nights Sting

Yes, they have vanity presses in France, too. The French newspaper Le Figaro submitted a lightly edited (they changed the author, title, and character names) version of Gustave Flaubert's classic nineteenth century novel Madame Bovary to the five largest vanity presses in France; you can guess the rest.

If you want more, I blogged about it here.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't follow that candy bar, kids!

changling said:
The arm of P.A.'s scam is long reaching. Care to visit Neverland Maryland, kiddies. Dangles candy bar from second story window of brick shanty.

Neverland Maryland? NOOOOOOOO! Must... have... candy bar... from Neverland Maryland? This may be tempting for some other kids, but for me... no way! I'd be scared to death of who or what is on the other end... ACK maybe even Larry... ACK maybe even Curlem... ACK maybe even Moe-randa.

Hmmmm... although changling's comments were deeply appreciated and made me smile momentarily, now every time "PA" shows up in this discussion, the first thing that will squirt out of my brain is "MJ" and "Neverland". If you happen to believe MJ is guilty, you should maybe think of PA this way... in an analogy:

MJ : little boys :: PA : authors
:Clap:

Come everyone! Post YOUR favorite PA analogies along with commentary and proofs of PA's wrongdoing while you're at it, to keep this on-topic. Be creative!

--Alan

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
victoriastrauss said:
Guys: no flaming, please. If you really can't stop yourself from saying something like "bite me", put it in a private message. Or write it on the wall. Or scream it out your window. Just don't say it here.

Thanks.

- Victoria

Ah now that was bea-u-ti-ful..

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Boob said:
Listen, I made a harmless post that was my opinion. We are all allowed to have our opinions here. I appologise Victoria.

Boob.

Yup we all have our own opinions here. That's what gives us the right to say "no, we don't like this post" or "yes, what a cool post," that's the thing about AW. We don't have to lie and agree, unlike the PA board, so expect lots of others to disagree, it's the way it is..

Freedom of speech and all. Doesn't give you or anyone the right to say bite me( especially when you have nothing to bite, might I add..), flaming is sooo wrong.

J.S. Blue

Registered
Reaction score
"Freedom of speech and all. Doesn't give you or anyone the right to say bite me (especially when you have nothing to bite, might I add..), flaming is sooo wrong."

Everyone has the "right" to say "bite me". :Lecture:
Everyone has something to bite.:banana:

Don't make me say it!

Last edited:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would anyone care to refute the point that the 200 author book will sell exactly two hundred copies?

What a delight it must have been for P.A. when that Idea popped up. 200 sales.
I can't see it selling to anyone else but those involved.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
changling said:
Would anyone care to refute the point that the 200 author book will sell exactly two hundred copies?

Maybe each of those 200 authors will buy ten copies (to give to bookstores, or leave lying around barber shops). Woo! 2,000 copies! A PA best seller!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
It just came to me that any punishment given to Larry, Willem, and Miranda ought to include the requirement that they read each and every book "published" by PublishAmerica while they're serving their time and that they produce a book report on each day to be verified as to its accuracy by the appropriate author so that they don't just produce thousands of book reports claiming that the book resonated with them.

Yeah, I know that one day served per book probably exceeds the Federal guidelines for sentencing, but it sounds and feels so appropriate.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
...but Ms Strauss,

victoriastrauss said:

Thanks.

- Victoria

What if it is a term of affection?

<ducks low to avoid the swinging dictionary-filled hand and returns to lurking in the corner.>

sorry, I couldn't resist.

Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.