Rejectomancy

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Still waiting on A&A. Still waiting on a couple of lit fic markets, some of which are well past due. Still waiting, still waiting...

At least I'm almost ready with a new batch of stories to begin making the rounds.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
R from Shimmer. Waah!

Another newbie question - just about everything seems to be closed to submissions right now, which makes the Waah! even worse. Is this common? Is it the time of year?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
R from Shimmer. Waah!

Another newbie question - just about everything seems to be closed to submissions right now, which makes the Waah! even worse. Is this common? Is it the time of year?

Some places (like Strange Horizons) close periodically when the slush pile gets large. They don't have set submission periods, but they aren't open every month either.

Some places (like Realms of Fantasy and Lightspeed) are closed due to restructuring of the publication/how they receive submissions. (Lightspeed is still open to sci-fi, just not fantasy.)

Could be due to the time of year too. It's not really uncommon for mags to close periodically. It just sucks when they all do it at the same time.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Pemako, yeah, a lot of venues close down over December. There'll be a flood of reopenings in Jan, though.

Oh, and Realms of Fantasy has died again, fyi. Not sure if it'll be resuscitated this time around, either.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Pemako, yeah, a lot of venues close down over December. There'll be a flood of reopenings in Jan, though.

Oh, and Realms of Fantasy has died again, fyi. Not sure if it'll be resuscitated this time around, either.

Well that sucks. That's what I get for linking to the submissions page in my bookmarks. I kept thinking they would be reopening. I'll mark it off the list of potential markets. :(

Crickets today. Will probably hear back from IGMS tomorrow. They are sending out 29 day Rs right now and I'm at 28 days. >_<

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
Actual (redacted) rejection:

Thank you for submitting $$$$ to %%%%. We are going to pass on your story.

We found your story quite funny and clever, but we are probably prejudiced against humorous stories, at least when it comes to purchasing them to publish. I'd like to think that &&&& and I have a sense of humor (my wife would probably disagree), but, though we don't have anti-humor specifications in our guidelines, we probably should.

I've enjoyed reading each of your submissions, and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Whatever happened to, "No Funny No Money?"

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
I think my crickets might've discovered immortality.

18 submissions out. 10 responses are overdue or at least above average Duotrope response times. A couple of them by a big margin.

Sigh.

Ahhh... aside from hell to which the slushpile rejects are consigned, there is the limbo for those awaiting editorial decisions.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
though we don't have anti-humor specifications in our guidelines, we probably should.

IMNSHO, if they really enjoyed the story but won't publish it solely because it's humorous, then they *absolutely* should state that in their guidelines. Otherwise they're just wasting writers' time, and their own to boot.

Good luck with the story elsewhere.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

It's common, but you can use the time to polish up some new stuff, start a novel, eat too much food... all ready for January.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
One of my three at Glimmer Train - the one I thought they'd like most - got a form today...

...followed by my second higher tier R from One Story. Given the amount of personal rejections listed on OS's duotrope though, I am thinking this is less of an achievement than I used to.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Yesterday was a double-R day with the fine folks at Apex and IGMS returning stories to me.

This, combined with me finally getting around to taking a last pass through one of my October shorts, made yesterday a triple-submission day, though...

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Bah. Form R from IGMS for The Collections Agent. I'll have to check my lists but I think anywhere else I would submit next is temporarily closed. I guess I can wait a couple of weeks to send it back out.

ETA: Figured I'd try Stupefying Stories while I wait for Strange Horizons to open back up. :)

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
A round of hugs for everyone. :e2grouphu Sorry guys.

I woke up to a form R from Flash Fiction Online -- at least they aren't slothful like duotropes has them pegged to be.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@Project Deadlight: DSF has published some dark fantasy/horror stuff before, but I imagine that to be a really tough sell there. Dark fantasy without much of a horror element would fare better (see "Like Origami in Water" by D. Walters Grintalis for an excellent example).

@defcon: There's a new editor in chief over at FFO and they're promising much faster response times. I've been seeing 2-4 day rejections on Duotrope since they opened for subs. My story is at 8 days currently, so I'm hoping that means it made it past the slush.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
There's a new editor in chief over at FFO and they're promising much faster response times. I've been seeing 2-4 day rejections on Duotrope since they opened for subs. My story is at 8 days currently, so I'm hoping that means it made it past the slush.

Ah ha. Thanks for this tidbit of information. I generally avoid markets which take over 100 days on stories unless there's a really compelling reason to submit there. (Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine is the main exception I've made. And, I'm talking about periodicals here, not themed anthologies where you might wait a long time if you're an early submitter.)

Maybe it's impatient or arrogant or something but I don't feel like having one of my stories sitting around in someone's slush queue for months on end without a really good reason.

</grumpyoldman>

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's impatient or arrogant or something but I don't feel like having one of my stories sitting around in someone's slush queue for months on end without a really good reason.
</grumpyoldman>
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't think it's arrogance, though. To me, it's a non-market, especially since I haven't sold to a pro-pay market (or semi-pro, for that matter) yet. If and when I do, and on a regular basis, I might consider a 100-300 day wait more acceptable, provided it's on my publisher bucket list. One day, for instance, I wouldn't mind selling to Tor. Maybe in ten years, once the trunk overflows with my unpublished diamonds. :D

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Ah ha. Thanks for this tidbit of information. I generally avoid markets which take over 100 days on stories unless there's a really compelling reason to submit there. (Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine is the main exception I've made. And, I'm talking about periodicals here, not themed anthologies where you might wait a long time if you're an early submitter.)

</grumpyoldman>

My "strategy" with long-wait markets is to take one story I feel is strong enough for a pro-market (since most of the "we'll get back to you in eight months" markets are pro) and sub to one "big" name. (The New Yorker, for instance.) Then I work the faster markets with everything else. As the time for response from the "big" market gets close, I sub a different story to a different "big" market. (Tor.com, for instance.)

Then it's just rinse and repeat 'til I get an acceptance. Which I have not yet, from any of my "big" markets. But some day soon....

Aggy, dreaming big

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

</grumpyoldman>

I tend not to submit to the much slower markets, either. (For example, I've never submitted to TOR.com and probably never will).

But even at the faster markets my stores have been sitting around for a very long time lately. *eyes Duotrope database where half of the submissions are now in red*.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
My "strategy" with long-wait markets is to take one story I feel is strong enough for a pro-market (since most of the "we'll get back to you in eight months" markets are pro) and sub to one "big" name. (The New Yorker, for instance.) Then I work the faster markets with everything else. As the time for response from the "big" market gets close, I sub a different story to a different "big" market. (Tor.com, for instance.)

Then it's just rinse and repeat 'til I get an acceptance. Which I have not yet, from any of my "big" markets. But some day soon....

Aggy, dreaming big

That seems like a good approach. I think it's fair to say that The New Yorker counts as a "special" market. (Assuming you're writing the sort of stuff they publish.)

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
I no longer have any clue about which of my stories are saleable. My one pro sale lost the Escape Pod contest and got rejected by a token market before finding a home at NATURE. My three personal favorite stories are still circulating, though rapidly running out of pro markets. And a few others sold to the first or second market submitted and I still don't know what I did right. One of them I banged out in an hour the night before a deadline, and revised it once for word count. [shrug]