Longest rejection letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just set a new record. I received a 1,437 word rejection letter on a 1,000 word article. First time in a while that a rejection has made me laugh.

I don't know what the editor was thinking, but she can't possibly send out letters like this on every article she rejects.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She used 1437 words and still didn't manage to convey what she was thinking? That's even more bizarre.

:D

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's why she's the editor rather than writing her own damned articles, I daresay.

Thanks for the laugh, James.

Maryn, bidding good weekends to all

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
She used 1437 words and still didn't manage to convey what she was thinking? That's even more bizarre.

:D

I think she was conveying everything she was thinking, including how her breakfast was making her feel queasy.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I got one once in which the agent mused on for three pages about the sad state of publishing. A little personalization at the start; the rest could have been form. Kind of a fun read, actually.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she was conveying everything she was thinking, including how her breakfast was making her feel queasy.
Holy crap!

Thanks for sharing, as it gave me a good laugh :D

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
That editor isn't as busy as I am.

My rejections for unsolicited pieces are one or two lines. I have plenty of stuff I need to edit (and write) to ensure the paper doesn't go out on the newsstands with just a bunch of ads.

If I know and respect the writer, maybe three. :) Granted, we don't call for submissions and can't use the vast majority of them. People usually pitch us ideas first.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That editor isn't as busy as I am.

My rejections for unsolicited pieces are one or two lines. I have plenty of stuff I need to edit (and write) to ensure the paper doesn't go out on the newsstands with just a bunch of ads.

If I know and respect the writer, maybe three. :) Granted, we don't call for submissions and can't use the vast majority of them. People usually pitch us ideas first.

That's basically what I do as an editor, except for the very occasional writer that I have to reject, but who shows great promise.

The give and take is much different when I query, and get a go ahead. This article was for a magazine department, though, and because of it's quirky nature, I guess, they want only complete articles.

Now, probably because of my publishing record, I very seldom receive a form rejection, but even teh personalized ones have become almost form. There usually a paragraph telling me how much they liked the article or the story, but can't use it. Then a paragraph or two telling me why they can't use it in detail.

Often, there's another paragraph or two telling me what the editor is after at the moment, and asking whether I'd be interested in writing this or that.

It's almost always one page, and two, every great now and then, but I've never had an editor go on like this one did, or anywhere close to it. It makes me wonder if she might have been sampling a little Christmas cheer a bit early.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Editors on deadline for week after week with constant crises looming have been known to go a little mad, as well as to resort to the "holiday cheer." Not that I'd know anything about that. ;)

When we have our work-all-weekend-under-the-gun double production (now), there's usually a bottle of Kahlua getting passed around in the last few hours before the paper goes to bed.

I've written some pretty weird emails during those days, but they were usually to coworkers, and not 1400 words long. I admire her stamina, I guess. :)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her she needs to get a Twitter account.
Seriously. I stopped following agents on Twitter because they kept tweeting about really personal shit I did NOT want to know. The final straw was one of them tweeting not only what they had for breakfast, but the fact that it made them barf later. No. Just no.

I'm laughing at the letter James got, though. I hope if I ever get a rejection like that I'll be able to find the maturity not to send back a snarky reply.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. I stopped following agents on Twitter because they kept tweeting about really personal shit I did NOT want to know.
It was a bit of a joke about the stereotypical tweeter, and giving the editor in question an outlet other than rejection letters.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that anyone should follow this editor's tweets...

Status
Not open for further replies.