The Tenth Circle

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you on reviews. (I think. We'll see.) But that was positive, and more importantly, it gets the book premise out there for lots of eyeballs to see!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Had emails (via editor) from cover designer the last couple of days, asking for details for the photoshoot so they can get them right -- what sort of swords etc.

*is excited*

Glad you got a (mostly) good review Lily! Takes the pressure off a bit?

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Update: It's getting close...the editor has requested a full-blown proposal and I should be turning it in to my agents tomorrow. One of the benefits of something taking a flipping year to produce is that expectations are tempered. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, photo shoots, how exciting Francis! And everything crossed for you Erin x

Well after an eon of not much news, I met my agent and a bunch of folk at my publishers yesterday and now have All The News! Viz:

My debut's going to come out in Australia and NZ - it's not a sale, it's through my current UK publisher who have a branch there, but still very cool. Also apparently Scholastic bought 500 books for their school fairs so yay. My sequel is being pushed back from Oct 2015 to Jan 2016, which I don't mind. Illustrations for Bk 1 are nearly done and they look fabulous, so that's v exciting. Plus apparently 'a few' US publishers are interested so everything crossed!

In less good news my lovely editor is pregnant and leaving, tho at least not till after she edits my sequel. And am not getting ARCs, they're just sending out PDFs to a few reviewers and bloggers (apparently illustrated books don't format properly on Netgalley). It's also too late for blurbs, which is a pity. Oh well, ups and downs, I'll take it :)

How are you guys doing?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Still playing the waiting game. One "no" under my belt, but the rest of the submissions have been outstanding for over two months now. No idea what a normal timeline is like, it's been years since I've done this.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for news, GF! That's too bad about your editor, but exciting about U.S. interest — sending mojo!

I'm confused about how blurbs work. Is there a window for getting them, and does the editor tell you when it is, assuming you have to solicit them yourself?

Contract is all squared away, and I'm waiting for my editorial letter with baited breath. May need to arrange a vacation to get the rewrite done, if it's next year. Looking forward to diving back into the book, which I haven't touched for ages, but also scared because I've never before written or revised fiction any way but on spec. It's a new world! I'm just glad I have written to deadline before (lots).

Sending mojo to you, too, Tas!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
GF, yay for good news and *hugs* for the not-so-good.

Tas, I'm on about the same timeline as you are. I'm trying not to obsess.

Re: blurbs. I was given a deadline of November, which I passed on to the people who agreed to read and blurb if they liked NTS. I gave them the ARC in September, so they'd have as much time as possible.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Fuschia - re blurbs, you just have to get them in time for them to be put on your jacket. The trouble with mine is that we really wanted any authors I might ask to see the illustrations as well as the text, and those aren't even finished yet. So everything is very last minute, and it's too late for me. I might still send the book to a few people and if they give me nice quotes I can use them on my website or Twitter or press packs in future. This was also all my doing, my publisher didn't seem to think blurbs were much worth getting unless you got a huge name.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
This whole "go get your own blurbs" thing just baffles me. I never had to do that. (and actually made some new friends with the people my publisher DID get to blurb me)

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I think it varies massively, and I also think perhaps they're just more up on all kinds of promo in the States than here in the UK. One debut friend I know had none, tho she offered to get some, another got a couple herself, and another got some herself plus her publisher also got a biggish name for her. I think for middle grade (which I write) they think they're irrelevant to the kids. But I thought they might be helpful for parents/librarians/booksellers/teachers, especially for a debut *shrug*

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
The blurbs on my first book were a hot mess. Now that I actually know other published authors, I'm hoping the second book is easier. Assuming there is a second book.

Turned in the edits, now waiting for agent feedback. I am trying to be patient. Now that I'm done with my freelance stuff for what I hope is the rest of the year, I'm hoping to spend the next 48 days plowing through the first draft of a novel based on my rejected project of last year. I is scared, but whatever.

You guys are all doing so great! I love hearing about your successes. That is all. <3

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
So I hope you all don't mind if I butt in here as an "outsider" with no book deal (yet), but I'm a contributor for Operation Awesome and am hoping to round up some debut authors to interview over the next year. Anyone here with a debut novel coming out sometime in 2015 willing to answer a few questions about their book, their writing process, and how they got their book deal? If so, please PM me!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Very cool, Wendy! I'm probably 2016, though. Next year! Oh, and I hope your subs are going well!

Good luck on the feedback and the novel, Erin! What genre of fiction are you writing?

*reminds self to start following potential blurbers on Twitter*

I just interviewed some very small publishers for a newspaper story. One of them was going on and on with the usual spiel about how big publishers don't edit anymore. She named a name (well known in a certain nonfiction area) and said she knew an author who had to hire a freelance editor at her own expense before she could publish with them, as they did not provide editing.

I wanted to say, "That's not the norm!" but I had to bite my tongue.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
[begin rhetorical question]

Why do people think I'm lying when I say "I don't read reviews. I don't want to know what they say."

:gaah

[/rhetorical question]

SO STOP TELLING ME AFTER I SAY, REPEATEDLY, "I DON'T WANT TO KNOW."

*finds the extra bottle of peppermint schnapps*

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
(((Lily)))

Just keep saying it; maybe they'll catch on eventually that you mean it, regardless of what the review says.

When I taught college, I stopped reading student evaluations eventually because 15 glowing comments could not make up for one really negative one. That was the one I focused on. Which is why I may be avoiding Goodreads once my book is out.

I admire those authors who tweet the most complimentary sentence in every single review they receive, but doubt that will ever be me.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scared of reviews because I have no idea how I'll handle them. Will I swear a bit, shrug my shoulders and get over it? Will I hit the bourbon? Will I defenestrate myself? WHO KNOWS. I do know I'll be reading them, because (a) I am incorrigibly curious (b) only a tiny handful of people have read my book so far and I want to know what readers think, especially kids (c) I'm a rookie, maybe I can learn from them (d) I respect all the people who only write for themselves, but that's not me - stories are, to me, something to (hopefully) be shared...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
See, I read them for my debut back in 2011 and my reaction was: defenestrate. I'm a hard, cynical, strong broad--except when it comes to reviews. I quit after the first two reviews.

So I guess I know my limits?

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
I think I could handle lukewarm reviews by professionals, and some of the GR reviews. It's the reviews where people totally misunderstand the book, or take some tiny thing out of context and say, "This author is a jerk" or just say, "I fell asleep trying to read this" -- I don't think reading those would help me. I would get obsessed with never offending any possible reader ever, and that way lies madness. (Not that I TRY to give offense, but I've had students who described Toni Morrison novels as disgusting filth that deeply offended them, and I respectfully disagree on that. Audiences vary. You can't please everyone.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I don't think I've told this story in here.

Many years ago, I belonged to an online crit group. One fine day I posted the first 3 chapters of the earliest version of my horror that's getting pubbed in May.

One of the group members who turned out to be an evangelical pastor with major issues re: strong women in fiction sent me a private crit. One entire page, single-spaced, with subheads in bold and certain comments in red. He ripped my writing, my characters, my plot, and my Biblical scholarship (which isn't too shabby, what with the ex-nun thing and all). He concluded that my writing was evil, that it would harm "baby Christians" and he hoped the book never got published. Signed it, With love from your brother in Christ.

:ROFL: :Headbang: :e2drunk:

After I picked my jaw up off the floor and blew my nose--yeah, he made me cry, the bastid--I blew him in to the group moderator, attaching the crit. The moderator enlightened me as to this guy's issues and blocked him from seeing any more of my work.

That was a pre-pubbed crit, which shouldn't have the same sting. But once eviscerated, twice shy. After my lapse in 2011, the only reviews I look at are the ones my publishers tell me to read. I do want to keep my publishers happy.

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
well my book *is* a kid's book about the son of Satan so, uh, I'm totally expecting some of those kind of reviews :D I think the reviews that'll hurt will just be any that say 'this was boring' or 'terrible writing'...

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all. . . mind if I join you? I'm in the last stages of edits with my debut and I'm eager to hear about the ins and outs of what comes between now and Winter 2016 :) Congrats on the adorable cover, Calla, and the review! And good luck on getting those blurbs, Fuschia and GF. :)

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, holy heidi! And huge congrats! I remember your book from Query Shark, and it sounds awesome.

Hope your edits are going well. Mine have yet to start — which should happen with the new year, I'm guessing. I'm scared but excited.

Lily, wow, talk about a book finding exactly the wrong reader. Getting it published is sweet vindication.