Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from writing group. They liked it! Tweaks and expansions suggested, but general agreement that I should/could submit this play to the theatre not in the local playwright contest but as a legitimate professional production for their consideration.

I'm pleased. It's only my second play, not counting two-pagers, and my first full-length.

Maryn, who was filled with doubt

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yay, Maryn!

*hugs* for Caleb.

After THREE, count'em, THREE stores did not have Steam gift cards, I stomped through Wal-Mart. nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing--and then at the FIFTH gift card kiosk--SUCCESS! :hooray: They had three of the ridiculous things left. I bought two.

And with this, I announce Christmas shopping is well and truly over. :e2drunk:

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, the world needs more people who march to that other drummer. Sometimes I wish I knew more "off" people in my real life instead of only online, because they challenge and make me think in different and sometimes wonderful ways.

So I've got a major hug for you, Caleb.

Oh, I meant to mention, I'm using a whole lot of the greens-gathering information you provided here a few months ago. My dude's not real good at it, but his woman is.

Maryn, who buys all her produce

Thank you... And what greens are we gathering?

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I am being tested as of late. My patience is waning. I had to finally tell several people today "Stop telling me you want me to be happy. I'll be happy when it's time to be happy." People get amazingly offended when you tell them this. Just going to go move into tas's basement without her knowledge then creep out and lick her on the eye... Yes.

Remember tonight how much I liked using molasses to create various kinds of sauce.

Anyway, so how's everyone?

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and I learned one of my most amazing Kansas City friends will be moving away to the other side of the country. Saddens me a bit. If everyone remembers nap friend. She's moving. It will be good for her but I doubt I shall see her in person again.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
If you're moving into the basement, put plastic under your bedding. We get water when it rains sometimes.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That Tas, always the thoughtful hostess.

A jar of molasses lasts me forever. I guess I don't make any sauces which use it, since I buy bottled barbecue sauce. I do make a lovely molasses cookie, though. I like to roll them in red and green sugars at Christmas.

I finished the line-edits part of my edits already. Now on to the comments, which may be more difficult or may be nothing much, like "My, this is one long sentence" and "Was that invented yet?" It's the ones where the editor notes some fundamental flaw that kill me, i.e., "Can't we make James more likeable throughout?" So far I haven't hit one of those.

All the things I'd intended to sew for the kids for Christmas may not be happening. We shall see. The Kid needs flannel jammies, and I've got some lovely flannels, and Kid Two's elegant jammie pants are ridiculously short, more like capris, since she's so tall.

Speaking of the kids, I was quite pleased the other night. Mr. Maryn and I went out to dinner with a couple we don't know well. They asked about our kids, and I didn't have to change mental gears to say we had two adult daughters. Some day maybe I won't ever have to correct myself, not even in my own brain.

Maryn, hopeful

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maryn, you're great. In case no one's said that to you for awhile.

So I finished hand edits last night. Teachr Boy came home from his pt retail job at 10:15. I checked email on my phone one last time before bed.

Email from my editor: eek! We need a blurb for the short story!

:eek:

I booted my laptop, hit 'reply' and wrote a 7-sentence blurb. Had to ask Teacher Boy for help because he read the story on Sunday. I haven't looked at it for months. :flail: He made corrections, I rewrote, and sent it to the editor with permission to edit at will. :e2thud:

15 minutes start to finish. Who says I don't work well under pressure?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the Paleolithic Era, when I studied journalism, I did better work under a tight deadline than when I had plenty of time.

In the end, though, I was not cut out for journalism. You have to talk to other people!

Maryn, that loner you read about in the paper

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate!

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of you know but those that aren't the book of faces readers I am unemployed again. I was still a contractor, not perm yet, and my rep called me and told me they were letting me go. She was upset because they didn't tell her why which is unheard of. So no one knows.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Yule and a bright and happy Solstice!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Happy solstice!

Today, I made pecan pies for the very first time. One has rum, the other doesn't. The one with rum I'm calling "pirate pecan".

Gotta wait for them to cool before I know if they're any good.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's The Kid's birthday today, the shortest day of the year, the first day of winter. Her name? Sommer, of course.

We won't see her until late tomorrow, but I am aware, and grateful, that so far we've been able to celebrate both our daughters' birthdays on or near the date. For a lot of families, that ends with college or the first real job.

The tree is in the house. You call all come over and enjoy the smell, whether you celebrate the holiday or not. It isn't decorated or anything, just up.

Maryn, who's covered with fuzz from a sewing project

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As they say in the fairy tales, Huzzah!

Mr. Maryn is officially driving me bonkers. I made a spreadsheet for all the kids' gifts, Christmas and birthday, which he divvied up so it's even in terms of how many they open at Christmas, how much we spent, and how much we spent on birthdays last go-round. All very even-handed. He printed the list.

And proceeded to wrap the wrong stuff for the occasions, the list in his little hot hand, so now he's got a necklace and no Blu-Ray, a book and no socks, etc. What was the point of making the @#$%^& lists and dividing them up if he was going to ignore them?

I love the guy, but he makes me crazy. The fact that we got a wrong number at 6:30 this morning, a caller from Australia no less, and that I couldn't get back to sleep is no doubt a factor here.

Maryn, whose blood pressure is probably up

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Afternoon, everyone!

I have now completed the adventure titled "Gift Wrapping with Cat".

Dear gods. *faceplant*

We accomplished the same feat. Of course, Nazca cat also thinks that wrapping paper is delicious...

*flings Christmas cookies around Purgatory*

Done done done! Second to Nun is done and edited and done and sent to my publisher and DONE!

Christmas break begins now!

Yay for cookies and finished books! Super excited for you! :D

Sorry for the hiatus, everyone. Took me forever to not be sick anymore and I'm still not quite 100%.

Very grateful that T. and I are both done Christmas shopping (we did most of ours online anyway). Anyway, we don't really have any Christmas plans as is. None of us has family close by and most of our friends are either busy or out of town, so we'll have a cozy Christmas for two with good food, going to see Into the Woods and otherwise relax.

Of course our Christmas gift to ourselves, a new mattress and bed and a bedroom makeover, nearly killed us. We are soooo sore. We do however like the end product a lot:

10172601_10203190924793382_5363153210194161087_n_zpse2d2df51.jpg

Anyway, now that's done and the house is clean and I might take a reading break and maybe even get some wordage done. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
dys, glad you're almost at 100% again. :heart: Love the bedroom!

I've set up Buffalo and Syracuse book events and my brain is *already* nudging me with plot points for the next book. Dear Lily's Brain: I'M ON VACATION.

I have knitting next to me and a horror movie queued up on Netflix. No Giulia books until next week, period. I will however be learning Scrivener via YouTube tutorial, before I purchase it. I think Scrivener will help me immensely with time management and organization. I need that, a lot.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I like the idea of all my research right there, instead of having to open a bunch of folders. The only thing I don't like, from what I've seen, is you can't turn on the paragraph marks in Word. I always use them. It's a holdover from my typesetting days.

Status
Not open for further replies.