What are you reading?

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It was awesome.

Now I'm starting to re-read The Passage. I want to see all the character connections, so I'm going to do it backwards.

Cronin is amazing. I want to be him. :D

carlstevenswriter

A would-be bard in the digital age
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Moby-Dick again; looking for a big enough wall upon which to mount the fish that got away.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished Body of Work by Christine Montross. The sub title is Meditations on Mortality From the Human Anatomy Lab. Part memoir, part history lesson, I learned a lot about human dissection through the ages, and it was an absolutely fascinating look into the world of a first year medical student. I would recommend this to anyone who's interested in the ethical dilemmas doctors face in both their education and post-medical school.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
The Painted House by John Grisham. Love it, read it bunches time and will reread again someday.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Arranged (Catherine McKenzie)
Just started Love is a Battlefield (Tamara Morgan)

Drainland

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Collector by John Fowles

It's never too late to stop reading that. Because once you reached the end, there's no way to unread it. Trust me.

I feel the same way about Shutter Island. The logs in the lake. Now I don't get to have logs for the rest of my life. Just logs + remembering that scene.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Finally reading Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Beautiful so far.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Finally reading Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Beautiful so far.

Her descriptions are just stunning, such beautiful pictures. I also found that the narrative distance actually added to the story, which just goes to show that anything can work. She does have a few writerly tics that grated on me towards the end though.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The cleverness makes me shake my head in wonder. They must have been laughing the whole time they were writing.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
I am about to finish The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, in between reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Steering more towards classical literature at the moment. The last contemporary book I read was The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly which I really enjoyed.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Well, I'm onto the last book in the Death Works trilogy by Trent Jamieson, but I've just started it. So far, so good. Just light, action-packed reads for me, nothing too heavy, although I love, love, loved, his depiction of the Underworld. My imagination is apparently so limited as to think that without God/gods there can be no Underworld, but his seems strangely atheistic in a way. Like it's just something past this life and nothing tied to judgment at all. Anywho, that was just what I took from it.

Picked up A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick on Saturday afternoon and was done with it by Sunday. Very good book and one I'd been wanting to read for awhile. Oddly enough, I've taken a peek into Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and it sounded absolutely ridiculous. No interest in reading it at all, unless someone here thinks I'd like it since I loved A Scanner Darkly.

Oh, and I sorta/kinda finished Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep A Secret? In other words, I skimmed through the last bits because the book was honestly bringing me down. What kind of screwed-up person gets depressed by a fluffy romance like this one? Oh, me. It's one of the reasons I don't like reading romance-heavy stuff (unless the romance itself is highly dysfunctional and not sugar-coated in the least) - it sells you a dream that can never come true. So yeah, I prefer to read something a little more depressing - honest about life, in other words - as much of life is spent seeking happiness, and if you're seeking it, there's a reason: a la, you aren't happy now.

Last edited: