The New Girl

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another "Newbie" that used to be an 8-5 Office Zombie. I'm a retired Computer programmer. My nieces got me to try writing, and honestly, it beats the heck out of writing computer code! *I HATE COBOL* (It's older than I am!) When I quit my job it wasn't to write, it was to retire early, but I have never once regretted leaving that coding hell! :hooray:
Ha! Yes! I share the loathing. I was a COBOL programmer on my first job. The languages I was most familiar with when I graduated was C# and Java, and I ended up working with COBOL. :Shrug: Some sort of random allocation thing for new employees. Gah!

(Trying to remember how to code in COBOL and I can't quite remember even a single line. I guess I erased it from memory the moment I left the company.)

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Sadly, I can join the ranks here of Computer Programmers Anonymous... well, actually I thoroughly enjoyed programming -- but much more when it was more straight-forward than it is today. You know, back when you just had to know computers, and not 100 other things. Back when there were just a few languages, not thousands (and yet I still learned dozens of them).

I do like writing a great deal more, there's so few rules! And maybe I'm just in transition now -- since I've moved from programming into project management where I spend a good deal of my time writing dry, technical documents that I'm not sure anyone else ever actually reads...

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I can join the ranks here of Computer Programmers Anonymous... well, actually I thoroughly enjoyed programming -- but much more when it was more straight-forward than it is today. You know, back when you just had to know computers, and not 100 other things. Back when there were just a few languages, not thousands (and yet I still learned dozens of them).

I do like writing a great deal more, there's so few rules! And maybe I'm just in transition now -- since I've moved from programming into project management where I spend a good deal of my time writing dry, technical documents that I'm not sure anyone else ever actually reads...

I did enjoy the programming when I was in college, because I loved the process of creating something, which I wasn't able to do in the corporate world, because everything was about searching for bugs in all the spaghetti code, maintaining the system, and yes... documents... lots and lots of them!

Project management... never quite got to that level (but I imagine the pay is good!) That's a whole new challenge I think. *bows to you* I'm not sure if I have the patience or the people skills to pull that one off.

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm so impressed that you had the courage to take the leap - really inspiring.

*blushes*

Thanks!

*hears the chorus of Francesca Batistelli's I'm Letting Go playing*

But yeah... there's wisdom in all the articles that said, "Don't quit your day job!" Still, I'm glad and truly grateful that it worked out for me. :)

Dianna Marie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi from another overall Newbie. I was a transplant nurse until I decided I wasn't anymore. Now I'm an office drone, honing my skills and spending time doing the writing I couldn't do when I was too busy being responsible for keeping people alive lol. I know it's an adjustment for me, it certainly must be for you as well. Kudos to you for the courage to follow the path your true self seeks, not many people have it! Good luck and welcome! :D

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
:hi::hooray: as well!

Hi from another overall Newbie. I was a transplant nurse until I decided I wasn't anymore. Now I'm an office drone, honing my skills and spending time doing the writing I couldn't do when I was too busy being responsible for keeping people alive lol. I know it's an adjustment for me, it certainly must be for you as well. Kudos to you for the courage to follow the path your true self seeks, not many people have it! Good luck and welcome!
Why hello, former lifesaver! :e2heartbe Thanks for the wish of luck. I think life's too short to keep spending it doing something I'm not passionate or happy about. If I had the luxury of an alternative or a way out, then I just had to take the plunge.

Thank you! :thankyou:

Actually I'm reading your welcome thread while compiling in the background.

:Hammer:

Welcome!

Oh, the wave of nostalgia that came with reading your greeting... Programmer group hug! :e2grouphu

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I was mostly writing YA Paranormal Romances for my ghostwriting thing. For now, I'm sticking with YA fiction.

I'm currently doing a modern-day fairy tale spinoff with a Christian twist, since I'm targeting the Christian fiction market, but eventually, I want to write a fantasy novel and a historical one. I have the basic ideas outlined and planned... just need more research. If I could also do a screenplay someday, I'd like to look into that too.

So that, basically, is my writing bucket list. :)

Thanks for the welcome, Shaba! Hope to get to know more about you. ;)

You flatter me.:e2faint: I am nothing special.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sings (a little off-key)*: Welcome, welcome, welcome to the forum, Ivane!
A brave decision, good luck with your projects.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I dabbled in coding. Lets just say I didn't dabble for long. Its just so, so, time consuming and not worth it.

Hi by the way.

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
*sings (a little off-key)*: Welcome, welcome, welcome to the forum, Ivane!
A brave decision, good luck with your projects.
*harmonizes (still off-key)* Thank you, thank you, thank you for the welcome, Athena!

I dabbled in coding. Lets just say I didn't dabble for long. Its just so, so, time consuming and not worth it.

Hi by the way.
Hahaha... Coding had its perks. I'd still love to be able to code, but maybe in line with my writing. Come up with an interactive visual novel in the future maybe... :)

Hi to you too!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt that. :e2photo: Even the most seemingly ordinary people have something interesting about them, something special - a story worth telling. Based on your signature, you seem to be a person who already has quite a number of stories to tell. :)

Well, you've already won me over, and I enjoyed your tumblr links. I belong to the market you are writing:)

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Christian Market, Fantasy, and YA. My favorite are Christian, Fantasy, MG, and Sci-fi, but I'll read almost anything if it's very good. Yea, platforms are very hard to build. Mine has been coming for two months already, but I think I'll finally be able to get it up next weekend.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another "Newbie" that used to be an 8-5 Office Zombie. I'm a retired Computer programmer. My nieces got me to try writing, and honestly, it beats the heck out of writing computer code! *I HATE COBOL* (It's older than I am!) When I quit my job it wasn't to write, it was to retire early, but I have never once regretted leaving that coding hell! :hooray:

COBOL! Ha, my day job was UNIX shell scripting (and a little SQL).

Peace
Ty