• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Epic fantasy beta reader/manuscript critique needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonKOrner

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently working on my first novel, an epic fantasy that is currently at 30,750 words. It's estimated to be around 100,000-160,000 when finished.

I am looking for a critique to read over my first seven chapters. I need someone to read through and make sure everything is explained clearly and with great detail. I want to make my books the best that they can be.

Reply here if interested. I'm looking for one critique at the moment. Please tell me how many books you've written and/or how many manuscripts you've read in the past, so that way I know how much experience you have.

Thank you!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick heads-up that most of us here use the term "beta reader" to be the last gate your manuscript passes through before heading to agents, publishers, etc. Beta readers go over revised, edited, complete, and polished manuscripts seeking any remaining flaws or weaknesses, so you can fix them before you submit.

It sounds to me like you're after a critic to look over this first draft as it progresses, and if you're able to read someone else's manuscript in the same state, perhaps a critique partner.

Good luck getting just what you need!

Maryn, who doesn't real the genre enough

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me, but anybody who has written more than 30,750 words has more experience than you.

When you reach a post total of 50, you will be able to post the opening 2,000/2,500 words of your novel into a new thread in the Share-Your-Work section. And if anyone crits it for you, you can check up on their profile and posting record if you wish by left-clicking on their Username and following the drop-down menu choices.

The first few pages can be highly indicative of what follows and flaws perceived in those opening pages are usually repeated in the following pages.

Last edited:

BrandonKOrner

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me, but anybody who has written more than 30,750 words has more experience than you.

Yes, I know that. I'm a new author.

When you reach a post total of 50, you will be able to post the opening 2,000/2,500 words of your novel into a new thread in the Share-Your-Work section. And if anyone crits it for you, you can check up on their profile and posting record if you wish by left-clicking on their Username and following the drop-down menu choices.

I'd rather email what I've done so far to a beta reader than post it in a forum. I'm seeking a beta reader to look over what I've done and give any advice that would help improve it.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being a beginner is one reason you maybe should reconsider your position.

You may not be aware of it, but the Share-Your-Work Forums are deliberately password protected - the password is vista - and therefore submissions and critiques in the Share-Your-Work Forums are not available to roaming bots such as Google.

Where you go is up to you, and I wish you well, but by ignoring the SYW Forums you may be depriving yourself of a large source of potential help. Many members here are published and experienced writers - not to mention that if anyone is seen to give advice that seems incorrect others will be perfectly willing to point that out.

Choice is yours.:Hug2:

And as mentioned earlier, a beta reader is not what you seek. You want a critiquer to cast an eye over your opening - and that's exactly what SYW will give you.

Yes, I know that. I'm a new author.

I'd rather email what I've done so far to a beta reader than post it in a forum. I'm seeking a beta reader to look over what I've done and give any advice that would help improve it.

Last edited:

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the word count or experience to beta read anything, but I'm curious: What would be the harm in just sort of practicing? I guess it would depend on whether the author trusted me with his or her manuscript.

Sorry for the (sort of) thread hijack, and did I use that colon correctly? :)

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What happens between an author and beta reader who connect via this Forum is obviously a matter between the author and the beta reader, and yes, trust has to play a massive part when dealing with any stranger.

If you wish to offer, feel free.

No hijack. And I'd have used a period instead of the colon. :)

I don't have the word count or experience to beta read anything, but I'm curious: What would be the harm in just sort of practicing? I guess it would depend on whether the author trusted me with his or her manuscript.

Sorry for the (sort of) thread hijack, and did I use that colon correctly? :)

Last edited:

BrandonKOrner

Registered
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks everyone.
I now have a beta reader. I'm beta reading her work and in return, she is beta reading mine.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. I hope you both gain much from the experience.

Maryn, in a hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.