Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.


Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #2376
profen4
Monkeys are evil
 
profen4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 1,659
profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Congrats on the books! Will have to check them out.

Hope you have lots of success!
__________________
---
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #2377
JustSarah
practical experience, FTW
 
JustSarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,767
JustSarah is well-respected
I seem to get the most enjoyment from writing middle grade. I tried getting myself to do New Adult, but my characters always seem to default to MG these days.
__________________
Nymphs Of Winter Fire -- Middle Grade Fantasy -- Third Draft
Purgatory Of Anna MacCline -- Picture Book -- Second Draft
Wolves Sorrow -- Picture Book -- Second Draft
Maggie's Medicine -- Picture Book - First Draft

My Smashwords
My Booksie
JustSarah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #2378
meltong
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
 
meltong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
meltong is on a distinguished road
MG has all the fun, in my opinion. I like the sense of wonder that goes with writing MG.
__________________
Please check out https://meltongblog.wordpress.com/ for a glance of my fantasy novel with dragons, unicorns, a sprite and tengu.
meltong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #2379
wlwashburn
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
wlwashburn is on a distinguished road
I agree with you, Meltong, it's the wonder factor. Whenever I think about the kind of book I want to write, I remember the themes that really grabbed me when I was 10-13. For me maybe it's just the nostalgia that kicks in later in life!

(I'm new here. )
wlwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #2380
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 343
Supergirlofnc is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwashburn View Post
I agree with you, Meltong, it's the wonder factor. Whenever I think about the kind of book I want to write, I remember the themes that really grabbed me when I was 10-13. For me maybe it's just the nostalgia that kicks in later in life!

(I'm new here. )

Nice to meet you wlwashburn! When I finally sat down and thought about when I enjoyed reading the most, it was during those years. And their so many good books to read, and they cover so many different genres!
__________________
TWITTER

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #2381
Fullon_v4.0
Shard Knight
 
Fullon_v4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mantlestown
Posts: 46
Fullon_v4.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwashburn View Post
I agree with you, Meltong, it's the wonder factor. Whenever I think about the kind of book I want to write, I remember the themes that really grabbed me when I was 10-13. For me maybe it's just the nostalgia that kicks in later in life!

(I'm new here. )
Yes! Totally the nostalgia factor...that's what makes it so much fun! It's the thin line between childish innocence and teenage identity issues.
__________________
Works:
Isaac Comett, ebook : MG SF, The memoirs of a boy who bought an interstellar weapon...for five bucks.
Publish date 7/29/14, more info below

https://www.facebook.com/shardknights
Blog
http://rtdriver90.tumblr.com/
Fullon_v4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #2382
BookmarkUnicorn
figuring it all out
 
BookmarkUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 81
BookmarkUnicorn is on a distinguished road
I've always loved books like the Ramona series because of their timeless appeal. I think the best of MG stories all share this ability to feel like they could be talking about the reader themselves or someone they know.
Of course, that could just be the nostalgia talking for me to (I just joined, hello )
BookmarkUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #2383
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 343
Supergirlofnc is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookmarkUnicorn View Post
I've always loved books like the Ramona series because of their timeless appeal. I think the best of MG stories all share this ability to feel like they could be talking about the reader themselves or someone they know.
Of course, that could just be the nostalgia talking for me to (I just joined, hello )
Hi BookmarkUnicorn. It's nice to meet you! As an aside, when I was younger, I used to collect unicorn bookmarks. I bought one each time I bought a book (:
__________________
TWITTER

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #2384
BookmarkUnicorn
figuring it all out
 
BookmarkUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 81
BookmarkUnicorn is on a distinguished road
I loved unicorn bookmarks. All and all I'm still a big unicorn fan, call it a habit I guess . I'm not sure if the theme is as popular in children's books now? Hm.
I still collect bookmarks when I can even though I have a kindle to. They're almost an art form in their own way, I think.
BookmarkUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #2385
killdeer
practical experience, FTW
 
killdeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 170
killdeer is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookmarkUnicorn View Post
I loved unicorn bookmarks. All and all I'm still a big unicorn fan, call it a habit I guess . I'm not sure if the theme is as popular in children's books now? Hm.
I still collect bookmarks when I can even though I have a kindle to. They're almost an art form in their own way, I think.
Used to be, all a book needed to hook me was a unicorn or a cat If I couldn't find those, a dog or a horse would do in a pinch. I don't think unicorns are ever really out of style. It's not always obvious what to do with them, though. Their mythology don't let them slot as neatly into the enemy or ally role as some creatures (dragons, for example).
killdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #2386
BookmarkUnicorn
figuring it all out
 
BookmarkUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 81
BookmarkUnicorn is on a distinguished road
True, but myth gave them kind of a bad hand I figure, they were tied up and done away with for their horn half of the time. I'm sure a dragon's fire keeps their teeth and scales from being collectables.
I guess with creatures in fantasy, most of all MG, it's not so much what they are as what their character is that matters. I would say girls liking anything horse like was just a stereotype if I could, but I'm a grown up example of that and know some in the next gen are very much the same .
Cats are so common place but mysterious in their way, it's no wonder they feature so much in books to...
BookmarkUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #2387
killdeer
practical experience, FTW
 
killdeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 170
killdeer is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookmarkUnicorn View Post
True, but myth gave them kind of a bad hand I figure, they were tied up and done away with for their horn half of the time. I'm sure a dragon's fire keeps their teeth and scales from being collectables.
True, but OTOH dragons get it from both sides! Unicorns only get harassed by the bad guys. Dragons get killed by the good guys (if they're evil), or made to serve the bad guys (if they're neutral), or get tamed and made to carry around the hero (if they're good, with bonus points if they're telepathic).

Quote:
I guess with creatures in fantasy, most of all MG, it's not so much what they are as what their character is that matters. I would say girls liking anything horse like was just a stereotype if I could, but I'm a grown up example of that and know some in the next gen are very much the same .
Cats are so common place but mysterious in their way, it's no wonder they feature so much in books to...
Unicorns seem to have some of that same mystery. You're as likely to catch a glimpse of one, or have a single pivotal encounter with one, as you are to have a unicorn buddy to pal around with. Horses... horses are a fantasy of freedom and power and unconditional love all in one big bundle...no wonder that speaks to girls.

I strolled through a kids' art show recently. To the extent that it's possible to tell, every horse was drawn by a girl, and every car was drawn by a boy. I think cars are the socially acceptable boy's version of a horse fantasy.
killdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #2388
BookmarkUnicorn
figuring it all out
 
BookmarkUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Posts: 81
BookmarkUnicorn is on a distinguished road
Dragons are fun, but I love when they are the more chatty types like in the Dealing With Dragons series, more than say, the aloft D&D dragon types.

I don't want to say that it's just a girl thing, as boys love horses to, but I think on some level the horse love is about a memory in our collected history as humans where horses were basically our cars and our pets rolled into one . As horse books go I was always more of a Black Beauty fan than a Black Stallion series fan. Something about the subject matter of horse racing seemed more like a boy theme, even though I didn't care about the MC being a boy or a girl.
BookmarkUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #2389
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 343
Supergirlofnc is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookmarkUnicorn View Post
Dragons are fun, but I love when they are the more chatty types like in the Dealing With Dragons series, more than say, the aloft D&D dragon types.

I don't want to say that it's just a girl thing, as boys love horses to, but I think on some level the horse love is about a memory in our collected history as humans where horses were basically our cars and our pets rolled into one . As horse books go I was always more of a Black Beauty fan than a Black Stallion series fan. Something about the subject matter of horse racing seemed more like a boy theme, even though I didn't care about the MC being a boy or a girl.
I wish I still had my bookmark collection. I kept it for so long, but after many moves, I think it finally got donated! Hopefully, it made its way to some young bookmark collector. I still love bookmarks though. And I guess we have similar tastes because I wrote a horse and a dragon into my book (:
__________________
TWITTER

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Custom Search

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Buy Scrivener 2 for Mac OS X (Regular Licence)


All times are GMT +4.5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.