Any knitters in the house?

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Ack, lace. No desire to try lace at all.

It fascinates me to use sticks to make fabric.
Me too! :D

For stitch markers I use little girls' hair elastics. I got hundreds of them, in three different sizes in one package, for a couple of bucks at a drugstore. They came in separate size-compartments in the package and I just dumped each size into its own tiny plastic lidded box (those were 10 for a buck at the dollar store). Colorful and snagless and cheap! So I don't need to worry if I lose any.

Cranky, I think I do know what you mean...I've seen knitting looms with pegs to hold the yarn and a little tool for lifting loops to make the stitches (I think). I just didn't know you could make socks with them. I hope you have fun with it when you try it out! :)

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, ooh, I wanna join the knitting club!

I've got way too many projects on the go - the main one right now is an infinity scarf for my sister. She picked out the yarn - Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in Grey. Sooo nice, kind of expensive, but I'll do pretty much anything for that kid.

I love lace knitting over pretty much anything and I like using teeny tiny yarn on teeny tiny needles. My favorite knitting book is DomiKNITrix - lots of cool projects and charts and I'm kind of itching to make something from it again.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, ooh, I wanna join the knitting club!

I've got way too many projects on the go - the main one right now is an infinity scarf for my sister. She picked out the yarn - Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in Grey. Sooo nice, kind of expensive, but I'll do pretty much anything for that kid.

I love lace knitting over pretty much anything and I like using teeny tiny yarn on teeny tiny needles. My favorite knitting book is DomiKNITrix - lots of cool projects and charts and I'm kind of itching to make something from it again.
Ooh, alpaca...haven't worked with it yet but dying to. *drools (yet does not get drool on fiber)* ;)

I haven't tried lace and don't really have any desire to, at least not at this point, but I do a fair amount on US1, 2 or 3 needles with fingering weight. Of course after a few months I get itchy for a change and start something in bulky with 10s and then feel like I'm knitting with logs. (In a good way though) :)

I've heard of Dominknitrix but haven't ever seen it. I may have to go take a look at it - I heart charts. :D

Good luck and have fun on your sister's scarf in that yummy alpaca!

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I turned the heel last night on the striped stocking. Had too, the thing was about to become a sleeve for a sweater if I didn't stop.

What's an infinity scarf?? And has anyone knitted a cable scarf in the tube so it doesn't have a back side? I'm curious about how to finish the ends.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I made my kids tube scarves (no cables though). The pattern said to finish the ends with fringe, but my kids said no, leave the ends open. So I did, and it's worked fine all winter. Not even much rolling.

If you don't want to do the fringe thing, you could probably either single crochet around the edge or sc the ends closed. I think I'd go for sc'ing them closed if it were me (mostly because it's faster :D). It'd be a tidy edge and very secure.

Wtg on your stocking! I've never turned a heel yet, but when I do decide to get going on a pair of socks, I'm not sure I'd know what method to use...there seem to be a lot of ways to turn heels.

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolethegeek.blogspot.com
I'm dreading the kitchener stitch waiting for me

I dreaded it too for the longest time. The video on Knittinghelp.com was what eventually "stuck". If you're grafting stockinette, it's the best IMNSHO. If you are grafting a patterned stitch, I have an article here somewhere that explains it fully. Let me know and I can dig it out to let you know where I found it.

theelfchild

Thinking up something clever
Registered
Reaction score
Hullo fellow knitters!

I'm currently knitting a scarf - a really boring garter stitch one, but I want to use up all my yarn ends.

I normally knit lace socks. To those that think lace is hard - if you can read a pattern, it's actually pitifully easy. And everyone who doesn't knit lace thinks you are the god of knitting when you're doing it.

edit: after posting this, I'm having another sock knitting craving... but my sock needles are at my parents place! *cries*

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm currently knitting a scarf - a really boring garter stitch one, but I want to use up all my yarn ends.
Those types of scarves are the best, one of a kind! I do that too, but I will usually crochet a length-wise scarf. No ends to weave in because they become the fringe! Depending on the fibre, there's all kinds of fast projects to use up leftovers. I've been cataloguing my obscene stash, and I definitely have to get (more than) a few scrappy projects going.

I normally knit lace socks. To those that think lace is hard - if you can read a pattern, it's actually pitifully easy. And everyone who doesn't knit lace thinks you are the god of knitting when you're doing it.
That's the absolute beauty of knitting lace. It looks like a pile of something the cat yakked up until you get it blocked. Then you are looked upon as being omnipotent! I've knit a few shawls where even I doubted the ability to block it into something I could wear out in public. Do you prefer charts? Or written out patterns?

edit: after posting this, I'm having another sock knitting craving... but my sock needles are at my parents place! *cries*
That's the beauty of having multiples of various sizes! ;) I've got three different socks-in-progress within reach of me right now! *runs to hide the other socks and various projects lying about*
For me, I find nothing more relaxing and mind-clearing than knitting (or crocheting) away on something that doesn't require me to follow a pattern. Then I can go back to my writing and editing without my brain running off into a zillion directions... as long as my children aren't around that is! :D

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer charts - it's a lot easier to relate it to what I'm holding in my hands. That said, charts were scary the first time I encountered one of them.

I do have a sock on the go right now (as in, started two years ago and stopped partway through the second sock about a year ago...) Really complicated cabled one. It's very pretty, but so fiddly that I can't even watch TV while I'm working on it.

Knitting is wonderfully mind clearing. When I discovered audio books last year, I started 'reading' and knitting at the same time. It was great.

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I crocheted for many years before taking up knitting, so I was already used to reading a chart from all the doilies I had made. To keep track of my place in a chart I will use an extra-sticky post-it for repeating charts, or a photocopy and cross off rows with a highlighter for non-repeating charts.

My kids are always taking my ipod, so I haven't been able to try out audio books. My choice of DVD/Blu-ray often depends on which project I'm working on!

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
I also did crochet a lot before knitting, but I never followed patterns. I've always wanted to try making doilies sometime... or Irish lace. Are they hard?

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't think I've tried Irish Lace... it's done on a foundation if I recall correctly. But when it comes to other doilies, you name it, I've done it! Just like anything else in knitting or crocheting, it's simply doing one stitch after another. IMNSHO, charts are the only way to go for any but the smallest of them, and I keep track of what round I'm on with a post-it. I'm lost without a stack of post-its within reach at all times! Filet lace is super easy, 99% doubles and chains (US terminology), back and forth in rows. My favourite lace doilies are done with size 20 or 30 thread on a .85 or 1.0mm hook. It's like creating your own little (or not-so-little) spider web!

theelfchild

Registered
Reaction score
I've never knit a sweater. I don't think I have the patience for such a large project.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I've done two -- boxy stockinette pullovers that I could knit mostly in the round. They were for other people, by request (and they paid me for the yarn, which was nice). I've yet to tackle a cardi, with button bands and seaming and possibly a hood. Oh and shaping.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm just looking at knitting a big sweatshirt style sweater. Something with long sleeves that hang over my hands for sitting next to the fire drinking coffee. Big and comfy.

And I finished the first of the cable stockings.

421208_335805513122109_100000779892679_829003_709369213_n.jpg

For my first cable project, I'm rather pleased. I suspect everyone will be getting something knitted this year for the holidays. :D

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm loving the stocking! I wish I could fit something like that into my schedule.

I just finished a really easy cardi. Worsted weight yarn, top down, no seaming, no picking up stitches, no buttons or button holes. I *can* use a shawl pin if I decide to close it, but I don't do up my sweaters 99% of the time, so why bother! I'm currently working on a shrug. It's for when I'm cold in the living room in the evenings. A shawl will get in the way of whatever I'm doing or working on, plus not covering my arms completely. The shrug length will keep it from bunching up in the back!

My socks are coming along nicely. I finished #1 of a design submission Thursday, but I need to do some photography before I can start #2. My "purse sock" (a plain sock in my purse at all times for when I'm stuck waiting anywhere for any length of time) is just about done. I swear the foot on it keeps shrinking and the length of my foot is growing each time I try it on to see if it's "toe time" yet!

I am not a monogamous knitter by any means, and being bicraftual just adds to it. I have projects on the go to match my moods or where I am, so large or small, anything I want to make is possible. A friend just loaned me a loom to try out too, so I'm trying to avoid even looking at that right now while I have several deadlines coming up in the next 2-3 months!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know you were on Rav, Nicole - I must be blind. (I'm on Rav too but I'm not "moth" there.) I'm bicraftual too and am really eyeing your Gumdrop Hanging Towel.

TheaBlowsKisses

steaming up the e-readers
Registered
Reaction score
I've been knitting and crocheting for a number of years. So far, the yarn world has not collided with the writing world, though I'm toying with the idea of writing a pattern for a scarf and naming it after a character in my book-in-progress. I've only got one more row and the bindoff of a MASSIVE triangular shawl (Aeolian, from knitty) to do, so knitting may win out over writing today!

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the compliments y'all! :blushing profusely:

I checked out the shawl pattern... massive doesn't begin to describe it! I would have to empty out my living room to make room for my blocking mats to pin it out!

Debbie Macomber (sp?) has made a huge name for herself with the market of writing books with accompanying pattern books. I haven't tried any of them, the books or patterns, so I can't speak for the quality of either.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody!! I haven't been around here much at all in recent months, but I have been knitting and writing (and proof reading a lot). I have big news--my new book, Circular Knitting Workshop, is being released tomorrow. It's been more than three years in the making.

This week I start doing author events, kicking it off with an author appearance at Lion Brand Yarn Studio in NYC. Are any of you knitting writers in New York? If you are, I'd love to meet you.