The NFL 2012 Season

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway....this may be a dumb question but are there so many big scores because the pass game is harder to defend than the running game?

In short, yes. But it wasn't always that way. Rule changes, especially the five yard chuck rule, where a DB can't make contact with a receiver five yards past the line of scrimmage. There are other reasons, including other rules changes that largely favor the offense.

A pretty good article on this: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...anks-to-rule-changes-coaching-athletes-091611

A y-tube on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFj5nx5-bBM

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
A great punt/interception return is also a beautiful to watch. :)

I notice you didn't say "kickoff" returns. Nah, truth is, I think the level of athleticism today warrants certain rule changes to minimize injuries. It was probably a good move.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I notice you didn't say "kickoff" returns.

I missed that one. :)

Nah, truth is, I think the level of athleticism today warrants certain rule changes to minimize injuries. It was probably a good move.
Agreed. Players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger. In light of all the long term effects players are suffering, I'm entirely in favor of the new rules protecting players.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, the Raven's kicker is just awesome:

The Ravens have a tradition of embarrassing their rookies.

One by one, the newbies march in front of the entire team during training camp meetings and sing, tell a joke, or something of the sort to entertain the vets.

Kicker Justin Tucker saw it as an opportunity to impress.

He had already done a Christopher Walken impersonation near the start of camp. After watching terrible after terrible performances from his fellow rookies, Tucker decided to volunteer for another round on the final day.

Nobody volunteers for public ridicule. But Tucker’s not your typical rookie, or kicker, or player, or person in general.

“I decided to put myself out there,” Tucker said. “These vets, they deserve more.”

Tucker told the team he was going to sing opera. He even gave them three options: sing in Italian, Russian or Latin.

In a packed auditorium of veterans and coaches, Tucker belted out famous Italian aria, O Sole Mio, as if he were in a grand concert hall.

“Everybody’s jaw hit the ground,” linebacker Jameel McClain said. “Man, he’s pretty good!”

Since that day, Tucker hasn’t ceased to amaze and entertain his teammates.

He’s quickly become one of the biggest characters in the locker room, and a player that has seamlessly assimilated into the team unlike your average NFL kicker – especially for a rookie.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...irdness-/48f2d57c-a59a-4a0e-985d-73ae03707e59

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty wild. Like to see the U tube of it.

ArchaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Cowboys fan here.
Jason Garrett has to go. He's not aggressive enough to coach this franchise. He's so melancholy it's sickening. Yeah, he's been part of the organization forever but he doesn't have what it takes.
John Gruden is someone with passion. I would like to see him come back into the game as the coach for the Cowboys.
People like to pick apart problems with offense and defense and that's okay, but I see Jason as the biggest problem.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
More flags than the United Nations. It's gonna be hard to be a Steeler fan this year.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to get the win, anyway. Lost Polamalu again. How long this time? We are not nearly the same team without him; he's like 2 guys. Harrison came back too; looked a little sluggish. My game ball goes to Rashard Mendenhall who also came back today, and gained more yards on the ground than the Steelers have all season.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, RG3 gets his first knocked out of the season...

I like Kirk Cousins in relief of RG3 over sexy Rexy, but Cousin's showed in preseason that he is prone to turn overs and it happened twice today. Defense played a good game until the end.

I feel sorry for the home team crowd. Redskins have lost 8 in row at home...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, RG3 gets his first knocked out of the season...

I like Kirk Cousins in relief of RG3 over sexy Rexy, but Cousin's showed in preseason that he is prone to turn overs and it happened twice today. Defense played a good game until the end.

I feel sorry for the home team crowd. Redskins have lost 8 in row at home...

I saw a clip of that hit RG3 took. Is he alright? What are they saying about it?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
According to the new rules, he has to be tested first. More should be known at the usual Monday news conference...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't get why the Chargers kept Gaither in on that last play. It was obvious the man was only hopping around on one leg and the defender was set wide, guaranteeing that Gaither had not shot of being able to stop him. It was just physically impossible for him to do it on one leg.

Oh well, it was nice seeing the Saints get their first win and I'm sure Brees and Sproles enjoyed beating the Chargers.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many KC fans cheered when Matt Cassel got knocked out. From this response from Eric Winston, it would seem like it was quite a lot.

This is one of the worst things that happens in professional sports, in my opinion. I have no problem with fans booing their team or even demanding that players get benched or replaced or traded. That's fine. You pay money to see a good product and you have a right to be angry when you don't get one. But erupting into cheers when a player from either team gets injured - especially a head injury - teeters a little too closely on the edge of savagery for my liking.

I'm not ripping the people of Kansas City in particular, because this happens in a lot of places and in more sports than just football. But this latest episode is an example of how too many people can take this stuff entirely too seriously. It's a shame, really, and it takes away from my overall enjoyment of the sport.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, this has two things in common with the last time I saw a cheer for an injured quarterback. Well, for starters, it was the Browns that it happened to. Can't remember the name of the starter, but I'm pretty sure this is shortly after they drafted Quin, so he was the backup in both cases. And it was the Raven's defense that took out the starter both times.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Raven's defense this year is a bit of a let down. Lewis and Reed aren't the players they used to be. They only have one consistent cornerback. And without Suggs, they are really struggling with getting to the quarterback. Though they do have a good core to build around (Ngata, Webb, their young outside linebackers, and Pollard). They just really need a pass rusher so everything isn't put on Suggs.

They definitely need to add pass rushers in the next off season.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the worst things that happens in professional sports, in my opinion. I have no problem with fans booing their team or even demanding that players get benched or replaced or traded. That's fine. You pay money to see a good product and you have a right to be angry when you don't get one. But erupting into cheers when a player from either team gets injured - especially a head injury - teeters a little too closely on the edge of savagery for my liking.

I'm not ripping the people of Kansas City in particular, because this happens in a lot of places and in more sports than just football. But this latest episode is an example of how too many people can take this stuff entirely too seriously. It's a shame, really, and it takes away from my overall enjoyment of the sport.

Agreed, on all of this. I didn't see the game, so I don't know if it was just a few people, or what. You have to wonder what kind of mentality would cheer the injury, and as you pointed out head injury of a player. And I'll just speak for myself when I say that I have to wonder how many of those people ever put on a football uniform.