Is it possible to write a comic piece about a location without poking fun at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I've been given a task that I'm beginning to suspect is impossible. Here's my assignment:
Write a parody of the song "Dancing in the Streets of New Orleans."

The parody still has to be about dancing in the streets of New Orleans so as not to change too many lyrics.

It has to be appropriate for all audiences (No mention of drinking or flashing boobs for beads).

It has to be universally funny (No jokes that only locals would get).

I wrote a draft that filled all these requirements. I've lived here long enough to know that the topic of the city is something of a sacred cow to locals, and I was as gentle as possible.

Sample:
Dancing in the Streets of New Orleans
ain't as easy as it seems.
Cobblestones you miss, make you do the twist
like nobody's ever seen.

(You'll just have to trust me that it matches the song rhythmically.)

Bumpy streets. Who can get upset about mentioning bumpy streets? Well, apparently the woman in charge of the project can. If she had suggested other jokes or different word choices, I would have done my best to make the changes. However, she didn't like that I poked fun at the city at all. She suggested rewrites that all gush about how wonderful it is here. That's all well and good, except THE ORIGINAL LYRICS ALREADY DO THAT. Why not just keep them? They're cute and everyone already has them memorized. I'd be fine with singing it straight.

The only joke she left in was one that mentioned the heat. One joke about heat isn't a "New Orleans" parody. It's not even a "hot place" parody.

Frankly I'm stumped. Comedy people, this is my question for you. Is it possible to write a parody about a specific city without mentioning anything even minimally negative about that place? If I could use inside jokes that would only mean something to locals, I might pull it off, but with that possibility removed, I just don't know what to do.

Help!

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
She sounds horribly unfunny. Does she even want comedy/parody or just to steal someone's instrumental? Is that even legal if the lyrics don't fit the definition of parody?

If you can't bail, convince her that her rewrites are redundant, or get feedback from others proving that your version or the original is better, the only other solution I can think of is letting her edit it herself and fall flat on her face.

If everyone has memorized the original version, perhaps you could try to sway her opinion by saying that using it would reduce rehearsal time. If locals already know and like the original, maybe they'll connect with it and the performance better.

Last edited:

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
In a word - no. My opinion is you have to find some thing that's funny. You can't find something funny without something to pick up on. You can be funny and be in good taste. But if you try to be funny like Dean Martin's friend what's his face, you'll bomb. (Don Rickles - yeah, that guy) He was the king of insult. I hated him. No class. Classy was a good Johnny Carson.

Status
Not open for further replies.