PA author gets fired from job because of book

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Exactly why publishers are taking out insurance.

My agent confirmed that the rider was a direct result of probs with writers pulling a (fill in the blank with Cassie Edwards, Kaavya Viswanathan, James Frey, Gary Brock).

Just shows, if you've got an axe to grind or a ranty to rant, take a moment and make sure you really ARE anonymous!

Which, given the times and tech we have, is pretty danged hard.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Open this book and you’ll meet the naked patron, the greedy, unenlightened patrons, destination hell, the masturbator, horny old men, Mr. Three Hats, and a menagerie of other characters you never dreamt were housed at your public library.
I clicked through to the Amazon graph and that above description was rather scary! Can you imagine recognizing yourself as the masturbator, the naked patron or Mr. Three Hats? (And wouldn't you call the police if someone was getting his jollies in your library?)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Just shows, if you've got an axe to grind or a ranty to rant, take a moment and make sure you really ARE anonymous!

I prefer to own my words. This doesn't mean I won't sometimes regret saying something or change my mind, but there's something to be said for taking responsibility for your thoughts, words, ideas, and actions.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I clicked through to the Amazon graph and that above description was rather scary! Can you imagine recognizing yourself as the masturbator, the naked patron or Mr. Three Hats? (And wouldn't you call the police if someone was getting his jollies in your library?)

I can imagine that PA are right behind her, offering her support at this time of great need.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...a lot of people on that message board discussion are talking about how frustrated they are that local bookstores aren't carrying it. I'm wondering if this is just as much about the publisher as it is the book's content.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
And yes, there are quite a few copies being bought by local residents curious as to what the big deal is. From what I've heard most that read it flop over to the "it's offensive" side.
That's the impression I got from some of the more recent posts on the message board (for example, on page 8). Apparently the author insults peole with low IQs, people who wear thick glasses, etc. Wow. So all the people who think she's some glorious crusader who is defending their children against pedophiles will be in for a shock. Especially if they or their children wear thick glasses.

Hmm...a lot of people on that message board discussion are talking about how frustrated they are that local bookstores aren't carrying it. I'm wondering if this is just as much about the publisher as it is the book's content.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. :) If any of the stores are chain stores, they might have corporate policies against ordering any PA books because of problems in the past. And the book might not even show up on their inventories. So people think it's a conspiracy to keep them from getting the book, but instead, it's all PA's fault. As usual. :D

Richard Martin

Villager
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mixedanimal.blogspot.com
"She refers to people that wear thick glasses as 'frogs peering through ice'."

It's a terrible thing to say, just mean & nasty & entirely unlibrarian-like, but, um, it aint a bad image.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the record...we don't have any chain bookstores within 100 miles of Ludington. We have one medium sized locally owned bookstore, which I'm sure won't deal with PA because the owner has always struck me as pretty smart and business saavy. And we all know business saavy people don't deal with PA. Besides that one bookstore there are a couple of small coffee shops downtown that will usually carry a few local books. They'd be the most likely place to find it, but only if the author bought the books and re-sold them in the store. I'd find it highly unlikely the store owner would buy them directly from PA.

jenniedee

Registered
Reaction score
This is actually the thread that brought me to AW. I wrote up a blog post about the whole thing, and it's kind of like watching a train wreck. I suspect that's true of most PA threads, though. I keep telling myself not to start reading, because if I do, I doubt I'll get any actual writing done today.