The New Never-Ending PublishAmerica Thread (NEPAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
That darn James Macdonald has been using the APS ointment rather heavily this month. It's no wonder he hasn't received any of those email offers. Well, other than not being a PA author... that we know of. ;)

[email protected]

Metaphysical Spiritualist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I feel for thoes who PA scammed. I also feel for thoes who are in PA's corner, one that they have been backed into. Look, I had an offer from PA. I was going to sign, regardless of what all sources revealed(I'd like to add that as of this date, the ONLY positive things I've heard about PA comes from PA, or SOME of their authors). My intention was to sacrifice one manuscript in order to get a 'publishing credit'. So, what happened?
1) I queried over 15 agents, editors, and publishers who REQUIRE an author be published before submitting to them. There was only one who considered a book from PA to be a publishing credit.
2) I scanned over my last email from them. It was from one of their 'editors'. This message had within it: Echoes, double negatives, double modifiers, and redundencies.
That's who will be editing my book?
Ummmmm.....Uhhhhhhh......no.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
This makes me want to hug my publicist.

Ya know, the one my publisher provided.

...Goes off to be non-exploitative...

Yes, I LURVES the marketing goddess at my publisher.

P.S., Mr. PA author: My publisher will print up and send brochures on my book (pre-orderable by the bookstore FOUR MONTHS in advance) to minimum 100 bookstores. All I had to do is make up the brochure (which is okay, they provided us a course on how to do it), get it approved by marketing and e-mail it to the publisher's assistant.

Cost to me: NADA. Just a little time to copy/paste stuff into the template THEY gave me.

My publisher will also send along all my book info to their distributor, who will in turn sell the book to the bookstores. Once it's there, it's got a better chance of selling than if it weren't.

Just FYI, yanno. (And my newest book is 248 pages and sells for $13.00. But you can pre-order it on Amazon now for $10.60)

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
There was only one who considered a book from PA to be a publishing credit...

Snipped

...Ummmmm.....Uhhhhhhh......no.

An agent is concerned with selling to editors, who, in their turn, are concerned with what the general reading public (me, for instance ;)) will buy.

And that's where the ...Ummmmm...Uhhhhhh...no. comes in.

You don't have to be a savvy reader/buyer to avoid PA books. 'Cause frankly, they'll never even ping on our radar.

What kind of agent would seriously credit that?

Last edited:

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Four in August (Is that a first?)

Dear Author,
A quick reminder for authors who choose to have extra books on hand: PublishAmerica authors are now given a 50 percent discount on all purchases.
There is no minimum purchase limit, therefore the offer applies to orders as low as 1 copy. Shipping is FREE for all orders of 10 copies or more.
Phone orders only, at 301 695 1707, between 9am - 5pm EST. Hardcovers are excluded, but full-color books are included! Free shipping within USA only. Offer expires August 8.
Thank you!
PublishAmerica Author Support Team

Dear Author,
One more week: PublishAmerica authors are now given a 50 percent discount on all purchases.
There is no minimum purchase limit, therefore the offer applies to orders as low as 1 copy. Shipping is FREE for all orders of 10 copies or more.
Phone orders only, at 301 695 1707, between 9am - 5pm EST. Hardcovers are excluded, but full-color books are included! Free shipping within USA only. Offer expires August 15.
Thank you!

Dear Author,

Here's a royal bargain for those who elect to have copies of their own book on hand:

PublishAmerica authors are now given a 50 percent discount on all orders, plus we will pay royalties.

There is no minimum purchase limit to qualify for the discount; the offer applies to orders as low as 1 copy. Royalties will be paid on orders of 10 or more copies.
Phone orders only, at 301 695 1707, between 9am - 5pm EST. Hardcovers are excluded, but full-color books are included! Offer expires August 22.

Thank you!

Dear Author,
One more week: here's a royal bargain for those who elect to have copies of their own book on hand:

PublishAmerica authors are now given a 50 percent discount on all orders, plus we will pay royalties.

The offer applies to all orders of 10 or more copies. Royalties will be paid on orders of 20 or more copies.
Phone orders only, at 301 695 1707, between 9am - 5pm EST. Hardcovers are excluded, but full-color books are included! Offer expires August 29.

Thank you!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Well, after all they need money to pay the retainer for those Washington attorneys they're hiring to represent them in the Instabooks civil suit.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Ah, that makes sense now. I'd bet one of them is the one my fellow SP author knows. The one PA paid in 100 free copies of his poetry book. JM is from that area, so I'm betting the lawyer she mentioned in her blog entry is too.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
They could just come right out and say: "We've been sued and need some fast cash to retain some pricy attorneys." Of course that would mean being truthful...

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The swiftness of those offers makes me wonder if they're trying to confuse their authors into thinking they're in time for one offer instead of a later one. Would that make those a new form of bait-and-switch?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
The swiftness of those offers makes me wonder if they're trying to confuse their authors into thinking they're in time for one offer instead of a later one. Would that make those a new form of bait-and-switch?
Pales by comparison with the giant bait-and-switch that is PA. Bait with "become a published author," "chance your book deserves," and the rest, and switch to "well, not really, and you have to do all the work yourself, against all the odds."

--Ken

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Wonder what next week's sales pitch will say?

(over B&W footage of a grounded Bell JetRanger, while sad music plays)

"Somewhere, in a rainy Maryland field, Harvey the Hellocopter waits. It has given its all. Fuelless, needing a ring job, bereft of hope...it waits for help. It waits...for you. Please, won't you buy some of your own books for the the Harvey the Hellocopter Fund? Let's all help put Harvey back in the air. Today."

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I just got my latest royalty statement, furnishing proof positive how many copies of a PA book get sold when the author refuses to play along and buy his own book: zero. The royalty statement, as well as the one from January 31st, are posted on the PA page of my web site, christianityforthinkers.com. Both show zero books sold. Here's the link if you are interested: http://p7.hostingprod.com/@christianityforthinkers.com/publishamerica.htm.
May God bless.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Don,

Did they send that to you via e-mail or through the US postal system?

Marie

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Don,

Did they send that to you via e-mail or through the US postal system?

Marie

The most recent one indicates it was sent from author support via email. It's also a completely different format than their previous statement. Perhaps, PA will be sending this email to their authors who have not earned any royalties rather than the zero dollar checks they sent in the past via snail mail?

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
(over B&W footage of a grounded Bell JetRanger, while sad music plays)

"Somewhere, in a rainy Maryland field, Harvey the Hellocopter waits. It has given its all. Fuelless, needing a ring job, bereft of hope...it waits for help. It waits...for you. Please, won't you buy some of your own books for the the Harvey the Hellocopter Fund? Let's all help put Harvey back in the air. Today."

Hey! Harvey was my late Wonder Hamster. Call it - I dunno, Huey or Hobie or Hogarth or --- something.

*Refrains from suggesting a "Name the Hellocopter" contest*

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The most recent one indicates it was sent from author support via email. It's also a completely different format than their previous statement. Perhaps, PA will be sending this email to their authors who have not earned any royalties rather than the zero dollar checks they sent in the past via snail mail?

I wonder how long PA will use emailed royalty reports before they realize that makes it easy to share the information with jelous toady bugs, both domestic and foreign?

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Yes, the royalty statement came via email. PA sent out an email about a month ago saying they were going to do that for books that had not sold any copies, but would use regular U.S. mail to send the royalty checks. I didn't buy any copies of my book, so none were sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.