T.S. Eliot on free verse

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
He stated in "Reflections On Vers Libre" -

"The most interesting verse which has yet been written in our language has been done by taking a simple form, like iambic pentameter, and constantly withdrawing from it, or taking no form at all, and constantly approximating a very simple one. It is the contrast between fixity and flux, this unperceived evasion of monotony, which is the very life of verse".

Of course he also said that there was no such thing as absolutely free verse.

What do you think of his statement above?

I have no problem trying to do either, the problem is doing them well.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the link:

http://world.std.com/~raparker/expl...ssays/reflections_on_vers_libre.html#page-187

At the end, he provides a wonderful way of thinking about verse, no matter its fits or fetters: ". . .there is only good verse, bad verse, and chaos. "

I like my poems to sound good and have whatever particular rhythm suits them. Lately I've been thinking alot about prose, and truly, it's messing my mind!!

But thanks for the thought provoking topic!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I prefer free verse like Haiku, where there is a specific onji amount your "traditionally" expected to do before line.

I blame verse novels, on partially effecting my view on that form of poetry negatively. Though to be fair, free verse can be really really good. I've been curious about sort of like an Un-rhyming sonnet that otherwise follows the traditional patterns of the specific form.

They say the original Illiad and Odessy were in such forms.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer free verse like Haiku, where there is a specific onji amount your [sic] "traditionally" expected to do before line... .

I don't think Haiku would count as "free verse" since it has a specific form. Did you read the link?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer free verse like Haiku, where there is a specific onji amount your "traditionally" expected to do before line.

I blame verse novels, on partially effecting my view on that form of poetry negatively. Though to be fair, free verse can be really really good. I've been curious about sort of like an Un-rhyming sonnet that otherwise follows the traditional patterns of the specific form.

They say the original Illiad and Odessy were in such forms.

Yeah. Poetry is something that took me years to appreciate, but now I thoroughly enjoy writing it.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Beyers in "A History of Free Verse", says -

"Though Eliot's explanation does not explain all of free verse, it does a good job with his own. Consider these lines from "J.Alfred Prufrock":

Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
the muttering retreats
of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
of sawdust restaurants with oyster shells:
with streets that follow like a tedious argument
of insidious intent

The poet Harriet Monroe argued that "free-verse movement has been essentially a plea for personal rhythm, for the poet's independence in working out his most expressive form and using it with out prejudice".

Coleridge distinguishes between "mechanic" and "organic" form -

"The form is mechanic when on any given material we impress a pre-determined form, not necessarily arising out of the properties of the material, as when to a mass of wet clay we give whatever shape we wish it to retain when hardened. The organic form, on the other hand, is innate; it shapes as it develops itself from within, and the fullness of its development is one and the same with perfection of its outward form. Such is the life, such the form."

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
When, some time ago, I began to interest myself in the writing of poetry, I did so by using a form from a poet I admired. This was good practice. Soon I begin to see that my words, thoughts, images and inspirations, would seldom fit the form and when I forced them to it, the result was wooden at best.

Sometimes I still start with a form I like, but soon let my inspirations mold the poem into a form of its own.

Last edited: