• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Advice on How To Get Legitimately Published

nikkibs

Hello,
My niece recently finished her manuscript. Is there anything out there that can give her information on writing the querey and hints on getting it published?

Originally, I toyed with the idea of paying for a vanity press but, this is a very good manuscript (Not because she's my niece, others have read it) and I'd like to see her get a break for a change. Thank you. Nikki:whistle

writingal

writersmarket.com

Check out writersmarket.com. For $3 per month you can search their publishing market database, which includes contact names and numbers/e-mails, how they want queries submitted and types of manuscripts they want. They also have great articles about how to write queries, etc.

Good luck!

sfsassenach

Just go to the public library

...and research Writer's Market, Literary Marketplace, etc.

James D Macdonald

Re: Just go to the public library

Here are the negative things you can do:

Avoid anyone who says, "If you pay me $XXX I can make sure your book is published." Whether agents or publishers, paying for publication is a bad idea. Check any publisher or agent at Preditors and Editors. Those who come up "not recommended" are not recommended for a reason. From this point out, the only money your daughter should pay is for postage.

Positive things you can do: come up to the Writing Novels board, and let's talk there. This is the Bewares board. It's for warnings.