Newbie seeking ideas

Mireille Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! Just got approved to join today. I also just published my first self-pub novel, m/m erotica/romance in an urban fantasyish setting, last week. So far it hasn't sold much, but then I'm a complete unknown; I figure it'll take awhile to build up an audience and I'm already working on my second book with that in mind.

My question is this: what can I do to build up momentum? I'm thinking now about the following:

-Doing a price drop on the first book simultaneous with the release of the second (they're standalones), to encourage people to buy both,
-Buying an ad on Smartbitches or somewhere -- not sure how many m/m readers follow that site, though, or whether it's worth the cost,
-Doing a price drop now on the first book, since maybe $3.99 is too much for a book by an unknown author. To maybe $1.99?

Any opinions? I welcome advice here!

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Real the stickies in:
Self Publishing: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47
And
Book Promotion: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

- I like this idea and have seen good things about it, but make sure you promote the special price drop with the second book.
- Never heard of them--does that answer some concerns? Either way, I wouldn't buy an ad; you can do a lot for free.
- I've seen conflicting reports about price drops/increases. Some people have said their sales increased when the book price increased (from very cheap to a reasonable price). Perhaps because it's a first of a series and you are a debut author it might work out if you drop the price.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Welcome, Mireille. Smartbitches are awesome, but pricy. Free, limited promo opps are available at Marketing For Romance Writers, and Love Romances Cafe - two yahoo groups I'm on. Check out major book blogs like Scorching Book Reviews and the Exquisite Quill.

I'm not sure about the mileage of price drops, since I've heard of good and indifferent results.

Certainly, write and publish more to build a competent backlist.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Also check out The Romance Studio. They have some free or very inexpensive advertising and promo opportunities available (you would want their Rainbow Studio subsite for M/M), and if you pay $5 a month, you can have a Featured membership that makes more free promo opportunities available and often gives you a discount on the paid ones.

I have a top banner spot today on The Rainbow Studio; because I'm a featured member, it only cost me $25. And they get a good amount of traffic.

wordsmithy

M/M Erotica Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
*waves*

And if you're still around, please let us know how it's going. It sounds like a pretty good book, tbh. :)

Penguins_are_rad

Registered
Reaction score
So me personally, I wont risk spending money on an unknown writer. I refuse even if most the reviews are amazing, that's because the self published world of Erotica is filled with stories that are just plain awful. Self publishing is tricky, so the only way I get picked up as a customer is for the author to have a free title. I know, I know, why spend all your time and effort to not get paid. But I think that's a good way to get new readers. During your new release you could have the first few months be free and also drop the price of your other book. Or you could have the price of your first book be free along with the release of your new book. Until you sustain a following you wont make the good money anyway.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm the opposite: I've been burned so many times by awful free books that I won't bother with them unless they're from an author I already like. I look for types of reviews: thoughtful three-to-five-star critiques with some actual thought in them, not just gushing approval. I live by samples: show me a great first chapter or two, and I'm more likely to buy.

I have some free stories on my blog, tie-ins to other works or older stories that are never going to get sold as reprints. I have free fan fiction out in the wild. The only time I'd ever consider offering longer original fiction is to promo a series or collection. I'm a long way from that happening.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm of the same opinion as Filigree. I've downloaded way too many free stories and novels which sounded interesting but, on reading, had no business being out in the wild. Gross errors in writing and layout (misspellings, homonyms, words used incorrectly, characters whose names change without explanation, repeated paragraphs or pages) and sexual feats rendered impossible by human anatomy are pretty common in free works. It seems I get exactly what I paid for.

I will happily snag a freebie from an author I like, though. And I'll take a chance on a free book from a person I like whose work I have not previously read.

Maryn, knowing everybody's different (No! Really?)