The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Ya know, if you take a step back...

...and look on the PA boards, there's not much enthusiasm, not many postings of consequence, bottom line, it's somewhat like a party after all the food and liquor has run out. If what I'm reading there represents the thoughts and aspirations of 11,000 "happy PA authors," then PA is redefining what true happiness is. I think the small number of posters vs. the vast overall number of authors is very telling in and of itself.

Hmmm, no updates to the "New Releases" section in awhile....

Here's a sad thread, yet more PA authors discovering, a bit too late, the sad reality of what it means to be published by PA:

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11900.htm

Now, now, I must chide everyone who's discussing "bashing' - folks, we are not "bashing," we're "pickling." Sounds sort of naughty doesn't it? I thought so, that's why I like it. So please, in the future, use the correct terminology - the New Three Stooges and the POD Squad will be grateful.

Now team, let's get out there and PICKLE PA!

P.S. Here's all the inducement you should ever need to change from "bashing" to "pickling" - remember who coined the term "bashing"...

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The way some authors run into the minefield, it's enough to make you wonder if it would be better to put signs pointing that they should enter instead of beware. Then maybe they'd run away from the dangers.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:

P.S. Here's all the inducement you should ever need to change from "bashing" to "pickling" - remember who coined the term "bashing"...

Yes, remember, he "who no longer lives" has no right to be named. What a terrible epitaph.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Chang, I'm so sorry you're going through that. :( I have nothing smart to say, but I just feel lousy that apologizing to me would make people want to be nasty to you. That's sad.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
AC Crispin said:
Hi, just a message for those who have signed up to be part of Phase Two of THE PROJECT. (And it's not too late! Vic, could you please post my original message again?)

I'm currently waiting on some vital info from Writer Beware's Attorney. As soon as I receive it, I'll be forging ahead, and you'll all hear from me.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin
Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com
Author: STORMS OF DESTINY/HarperEos
www.accrispin.com

Sounds good, Ann. I've been in on this with you from the start. It's like giving blood at the Red Cross during a particularly nasty war. Anything for the cause!

John

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:
Check out this thread one more time, and read post #5. That's us!

Once again, another poster sees nothing past the "bashing." Nothing. Eyes closed, ears covered. Doesn't want to know about it.

Sigh.

Then there's post #6.

utc

Is that the same Carl from Publishers Weekly message board?

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sparhawk said:
I don't want to see some poor writer geting excited over what I feel is a bad business prospect only to lose their books and their money. They're already involved in one bad business decision, why compound an error in judgement with another one.

-Sparhawk

Do you have any idea how many PA authors have lost their books and their money thinking if they paid a PR firm thousands of dollars it would help them sell their books?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, I did what was right, and sometimes being right, and being popular, don't go hand in hand.

If they want to be like that, then they were never really friends anyway.

It doesn't bother me, it's sad that they feel the need to champion their publisher's fight.

The recent scathing news articles are great examples.

What should have been P.A.'s fight was slipped into the authors laps to save face for Molarrya, and group. Any rebuttal or castigation would reflect on the authors not the publisher. You saw what happened to P.A.'s champion, the one who carried their banner against criticism, their biggest supporter. They aren't backing him now, now that the masses are rabid for a lynching of the one with no name.
Why? Cause their money machine would rebel. Money talks, loyalty walks.

Ken

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There are people who make getting scammed their lifestyle.

You see 'em with a history that goes AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Dorrance, and PublishAmerica ... with a sidetrip through ST Literary Agency and Janet Kay.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Sweet lady, one of the oldest laws of marketing...

lindylou45 said:
Do you have any idea how many PA authors have lost their books and their money thinking if they paid a PR firm thousands of dollars it would help them sell their books?
...is that creating a demand for a product that is not readily available through normal distribution/sales channels is pointless - it's like giving a glass full of sand to someone who's been in the desert for a couple of days.

I am feeling such inspiration tonight, I have my new framed, "autographed to Ed" Jerry Lee Lewis photo sitting here on my desk. If I just had an ICEE and a Nu-Way hot dog my life, as I know it, would be complete.....

lu.gif

Now there's a smooch!

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
I received some e-mails that are less than flattering. I thought they were my friends. The e-mails have contained animated online jokes about burying the mule who keep climbing to the top of the hole, (P.A.) and the farmer who is trying to burying them getting kicked in a** by the mule(me). Some friends.

In gang terms, it's called "busting out". The only way to leave certain street gangs free and clear is to literally fight your way out -- by running a gauntlet of current gang members who do their best to puch, kick and assault you into unconsciousness.

While PA is by no means akin to a street gang, I am becoming more and more convinced as I read their boards that they are very much like a cult.

Look at it this way, chang. You're out. You're free as a writer. You get your novel back in 7 years (sooner, if you work at it and get lucky) and you have time to write the next one and improve your craft. You also now have the benefit of hindsight, when it comes time to send it out to be reviewed for publication.

Best wishes and good luck.

Hoover: "I, state your name..."
Pledge class" "I, state your name..."
Hoover: "Do hereby pledge alligience to the frat..."
Pledge class: "Do hereby... mumble, mumble..."
Hoover: "With liberty and fraternity for all."
Pledge class: "mumble, mumble, mumble."

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
lindylou45 said:

No, I honestly do not have that information. I was only saying that I didn't want to see a writer get hoodwinked by what I sincerely beleive, based on my experience, is a bad decision. I am truly saddened if a large number of people at PA have invested money with a PR firm and have recieved no success from their outlay of capital. Their publisher should be marketing and promoting their writers, not a PR firm hired by said writer. I can only hope that the number is small.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams]...is that creating a demand for a product that is not readily available through normal distribution/sales channels is pointless.

In my view, any PR firm that would accept a PA author as a client is just as culpable as PA. Chances are they've had more than one of these authors as a client and yet they continue to give them false hope. When I talked to one PR firm their starting cost was $2,500.00 and they went as high as $25,000.00. What PA author would be able to afford that w/o putting their house up for a second mortage -- and by the way -- I know two PA authors who did just that.

I am feeling such inspiration tonight, I have my new framed, "autographed to Ed" Jerry Lee Lewis photo sitting here on my desk. If I just had an ICEE and a Nu-Way hot dog my life, as I know it, would be complete

Wish I could help you out there, Ed. (BTW, we call them slushies here in Kansas). I just might share a piece of Mem's Rum cake -- of which I have discovered has no rum in it b/c Mem drank it all!

:kiss: Right back atcha'

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
A Disagreement

lindylou45 said:
In my view, any PR firm that would accept a PA author as a client is just as culpable as PA. Chances are they've had more than one of these authors as a client and yet they continue to give them false hope.

I have to disagree. Having worked for a PR firm, it's not up to them to decide if your product is saleable or being produced by a reputable firm. It's their job to get the word out, and to fulfil whatever contract is agreed upon between them and their client.

Canada James

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
Chang,

changling said:
Jenna, I did what was right, and sometimes being right, and being popular, don't go hand in hand. If they want to be like that, then they were never really friends anyway.

Trust me, don't burn any bridges. And let them know that while they may wish to burn the bridge at their end, you're always open for discussion. You will be surprised how many will come to you in about six months to a year and say, "Chang, sorry for the way I treated you. I now realize you are right, but don't know what to do."

Sometimes, a burning a little short term popularity earns you a lot of long-term respect. This in turn positions you to help PA authors when they are willing to be helped.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Canada James said:
I have to disagree. Having worked for a PR firm, it's not up to them to decide if your product is saleable or being produced by a reputable firm. It's their job to get the word out, and to fulfil whatever contract is agreed upon between them and their client.

Canada James

I suppose you're right, Canada James. It seems wrong to me, though. If a PR firm took on a client knowing full well there was not a thing they could do to enhance the sale of their product, I would hope they would at least explain the difficulty involved and allow the client to make that decision from there. But maybe I'm being naïve again. That is what got me in trouble the first time! :Smack:

Of course, there is the possibility that the PR firm did explain the difficulty the author would have, but being a PA author, he/she believed they would sell like hotcakes. Who knows, I wasn't there at the time. :Shrug:

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found the stooges!

stooges.gif

:0)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Lindy, right on. I know some PR firms won't take self/vanity-pubbed authors at all unless they have distribution in place; I respect that in the same way I respect a plastic surgeon who won't operate on someone with body dysmorphic disorder. In other words, they won't take the money if they know they really can't help.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Lindy, right on. I know some PR firms won't take self/vanity-pubbed authors at all unless they have distribution in place; I respect that in the same way I respect a plastic surgeon who won't operate on someone with body dysmorphic disorder. In other words, they won't take the money if they know they really can't help.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.