The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
If they had read the ms. Lola then they would have known what it was about. Looks like they are using their own faults against their authors. I tell ya, Purple was devestated when PA took back their offer. He wanted his story out there, wanted his thoroughbred momma, Mustang daddy, jackass cousin, and donkey girlfriend to be proud of him. Now momma, daddy and cousin just laugh and say "Who the heck do you think you are, Mr. Ed? How about Hildago? Are you Silver? You're a nobody." And his girlfriend left him for pack horse in the circus. He has tried therapy, but it didn't work.

lizziepants

Resident Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
Lizziepants!

Bonnie Gibson said:
Re: LizzyPants

I forgot --

Swivel Hips, Pitiful and Ugly Mug ... mentioned above on the list of sellers from the NYT advertisement (I thought I'd slip in the part about it being an advertisement, because some of the PA authors are unaware that it's only an advertisement, one PA has PAID for, that is, if they paid yet) that PA is running -- would probably have wound up on a legitimate best sellers list if published by another house. It's simply put one of the best written books I've ever read. Shame Bonnie didn't get this placed with a traditional publisher.

Well hello hello,

I've been off trying to finish my new book; trying to put the PA debacle behind me. Bighead and I finally tied the knot in a huge, fabulous, ridiculously expensive massacre of a wedding. And now, I'm back. I've been reading all day and catching up with the latest dirt on PA -- man oh man.
Very glad to see all the familiar faces, glad to be back. I believe somewhere in there I missed out on the free t-shirt deal, when I was banned by PA from their comedic boards.

*grins*

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Bonnie Gibson said:
When I go to my ipage to order from Ingrams and pull up a Publishamerica book, I get only 20% discount of the retail price. It also states that the book is non-returnable. I can't stock a book for a 20% profit. I would have to increase the retail price of the book to get at least a 40% profit. Then the 59 page book that retailed at $12.95 (already too high) would increase to over $15.00. Who would pay that for a 59 page book by an unknown author? I think we all know the answer to that.
:idea:

Bonnie

Oh, oh, oh...I know, I know...

Mom!

;)

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Publishing Questions

On April 18th I'm attending a panel (where I'm facilitating) with three major BC publishers (they all publish world-wide, so I don't feel that this is a regional thing just because their offices are in Vancouver).

These are the questions that have been posed to them:

How do you cost out a book and decide on the print run?

How do you decide on a marketing plan and budget?

From the publisher's point of view, what are the most important parts of the contract?

After the book is published, what do you expect from the author in terms of promotion and marketing?

What makes a good business relationship between publisher and author?

Since these are all items that crop up in this discussion from time to time, I will summarize the answers and post them here. If anyone has another question they'd like asked, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

C. James

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Literary Lola said:
I'm confused. How does one get a blob? Besides getting run over by a Mack truck, that is.
You start with one blob (just like heroin: the first one's free) and get another one for each 100 reputation points you collect. Ideally, members give reputation points for posts that contribute to the community by being especially helpful, clever, wise, or [insert name of merit]. There's more discussion in FAQ and Take It Outside.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
lizziepants said:
Well hello hello,

I've been off trying to finish my new book; trying to put the PA debacle behind me. Bighead and I finally tied the knot in a huge, fabulous, ridiculously expensive massacre of a wedding. And now, I'm back. I've been reading all day and catching up with the latest dirt on PA -- man oh man.
Very glad to see all the familiar faces, glad to be back. I believe somewhere in there I missed out on the free t-shirt deal, when I was banned by PA from their comedic boards.

*grins*
Hey, Lizzie.:welcome: Congrats on the bighead nuptial massacre. Holler if you want the tee-shirt link.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Literary Lola said:
I find this a fascinating insight into Larry, Curlem, and Moe's ardent need to control their authors. If they spent less time on assuaging their sick and twisted paranoia and more time in, oh, say, reading their submissions and marketing, they'd be...well...they wouldn't be PA, would they?
Not only would it not be PA, it also would no longer be the cultish mass of protoplasm it is.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
And with that, I've gotta send some major league smoochies to Kelly and Lindy for the outstanding graphic, but please resend, I accidentally hit the wrong button and sent it to that great pickle barrel up in the sky!

I just sent it to you Ed.

I've just been handed the job description for The Pickler's sidekick! They are as follows:

The Job Description for The Pickler's sidekick:

1. He/she must relish fighting PA, must be devoted to wanting them to go down, down, down.

2. Their personality can't be too briny, it has to be compassionate and firm all at the same time.

3. They can never discuss any extracurricular sins The Pickler might commit in the line of duty...

4. They can't be a fickle pickle, they have to be totally loyal and devoted to The Pickler.

5. They have to have an affinity for ICEEs, chili dogs, and any music made by the great fifties rock singers - Elvis, Jerry Lee, etc.

It is undetermined as to whether a uniform will be required. I'll get back to you on that one!

Remember, get those entries in by April 20th at my website and you can have the chance to be The Pickler's sidekick!
:D

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Know what cover would sell? Ed Williams dressed in the Pickler outfit. I bet it would sell millions.

Ed, you think PA would be interested in the Biography of The Pickler?

Hey Kevin, I think you'd make the perfect sidekick - plus, I want to read your entry! Come on, enter, would ya? :Hail:

I haven't gotten your story yet either, in case you've sent it.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
This is part of a rapidly growing phenomenon: "promotional" services aimed at POD and self/vanity-pubbed authors. There are so many of these now that I'm in the process of adding a page to Writer Beware discussing them.

- Victoria

In my opinion, they are just as bad as PA. They aren't going to be able to sell these books any better than the author can, and they could care less. All they want is the money. :Smack:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Can't ya just hear someone at the Grand Ole Opry singin' 'I Was Just Too Stipid to Live'?

jck is still whipping that poor dead horse:

"We have a huge advantage if we buy the books and could find a way or retailing ourselves.

If you had a bookstore with all 11,000 PA authors titles in you would be spoilt for choice and there would be no other like it to say nothing of all the signed copies you could stock.

This is the stuff dreams are made of. "

Dude just doesn't get that signed books by nobodies are...signed books by nobodies

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
CaoPaux said:

It's been discussed each of the last ten times someone at the PA boards figured out, no matter what PA says, B&N doesn't stock their books. One more time won't hurt.

But -- y'know, if I were going to comment on English Bob's posts it would come mighty darn close to author-pickling. So I'm just going to wait until his book actually comes out and let reality do the pickling for me.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Know what?

Literary Lola said:
I find this a fascinating insight into Larry, Curlem, and Moe's ardent need to control their authors. If they spent less time on assuaging their sick and twisted paranoia and more time in, oh, say, reading their submissions and marketing, they'd be...well...they wouldn't be PA, would they?
It just hit me, PA is being run exactly the way you would expect a company run by two jealous, vindictive, wannabe writers to run it. It's set it up so that no one who publishes through them can succeed, because if any of their authors do well they'll have outdone them. When you get right down to it, PA is simply a cruel hoax that satisfies Larry and Curlem's monetary and vanity needs...

***In the category of "run twenty thousand miles away from this as fast as you can," we have this quote from the PA boards concerning the distributor that some of their authors are considering signing with:

Think I'd check with the Better Business Bureau on this one first because they expect 25 books from you along with the contract and one immediate book.
RUN!!!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
From the thread CaoPaux posted:
As far as being stuck with books they can`t sell, maybe, if they actually read all the books they stocked they might end up with books that did sell.

Still it is funny to think that stocking one or two of your books might lead to the collapse of the bookstore if they did not sell.
Two points I wanted to address--having worked for a really excellent indie bookseller for a number of years:

1. Some booksellers and their employees DO read (at least very darn nearly) every title they stock. That's how we could make recommendations. Part of the game is knowing your stock inside and out, and knowing your customers--especially your regulars--and being about to say, "You just read Such-N-Such last week; if you liked that, I think you'll really like..." or "What do you usually read? If you like Nora Roberts, then you will probably like..."

2. It's been said before, but bookstores don't operate on a huge margin. Retail space is leased by the square foot. One or two books that don't sell have to go, to make way for books that WILL sell, and pay their own rent.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
1. "If you liked Last Voyage, you'll love Atlanta Nights." :D

2. Not to mention that "one or two" books multiplied by 11,000 Happy Authors equals, uh, many linear feet gathering dust. :idea:

Crystal Rivers

Registered
Reaction score
ZaZ said:
Here's a wild link of lunacy and outrage from the PA boards.

Wait, I don't check those, you do.

Very Funny, ZaZ! Pothead Grandmother Spared Jail

That was from the PA boards?
EmoteShrug.gif
I don't think so.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
What Moe-randa, Larry, and Curlem live for...

...straight from the PA boards:

As best I can remember, my pre-release notice was sent in late September, early October of 2004. That notice went out to the 100 names and addresses I sent in response to a PA Questionaire. These were my best bets as to friends and relatives who would buy my book.

The notice proudly announces that your published book is NOW available from PA at their price, which is a discount of $3 from their established retail price.

No one asked me for follow-up and I provided none so I can't help you there. PA sold 53 books for me in this process.

Not to worry Kelly, nothing more is required from you for PA's purposes.

Next you will receive an offer to buy books from PA at a discount to sell on your own. That's the PA promotional standard that will remain in place as long as you live. PA does not maintain staff to promote or distribute your book beyond it's own website and Amazon & Barnes and Nobles. com websites.

Lastly, comes your official release date, which to me meant nothing. I'd already sold almost a 100 books on my own.
The New Three Stooges ought to be staked down to a giant fire ant mound that's been stirred up good with a stick first....

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The notice proudly announces that your published book is NOW available from PA at their price, which is a discount of $3 from their established retail price.
Ah, but then PA charges $3 for s&h, yes? And if you don't click "softcover" your order won't go through. :poke:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
CaoPaux said:
Apologies if this has been discussed already... :Headbang:

Well, if some authors realize PunnishAmerica isn't as good a deal as others and can't sell their books very well, it seems some of that head banging may have knocked a few bricks loose.

Jck doesn't seem very easily discouraged though. I've sometimes wondered about his scientific theory of everything... by any chance, would it involve the way things resonate?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ed Williams said:
The New Three Stooges ought to be staked down to a giant fire ant mound that's been stirred up good with a stick first....

Isn't that a bit mean to the innocent fire ants? Fire ants aren't all bad. They like to eat ticks, which are horrible blood-sucking...oh.

Never mind.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
MadScientistMatt said:
Jck doesn't seem very easily discouraged though. I've sometimes wondered about his scientific theory of everything... by any chance, would it involve the way things resonate?
IIRC, the Universe is believed to resonate in a certain tone resulting from the Big Bang.... Hmm, what's the sound of one glove clapping?

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
ZaZ said:
Here's a wild link of lunacy and outrage from the PA boards.

Wait, I don't check those, you do.
Dang, Zaz, now you blew my cover. I had everyone convinced that I lived in Texas and my name was Memory. Crap, now I'm going to have to move the brownies. :Ssh:
:popcorn: Love the Pa song Bonnie, keep on singing!

Status
Not open for further replies.