MarNoWriMo 2015!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
2 out of 4 blog posts done. :) I don't write them on a schedule - just when I'm feeling inspired. So the other 2 blog posts (to complete my goal) might take weeks to happen.

Also read part of an old textbook. I'm not even halfway through it, and this is from reading 2 chapters today, and about 1/3 of the book during a semester at Uni. It's just dragging on and on!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished the first draft of my 2014 Nano novel. 95k words.

Amazingly enough, I'm actually fairly confident in the book. No major rewrites necessary. Plots all seem sound. Just need to modify little things like the fact that my MMC began the story with a dead wife and by the end of the story this had changed to him being engaged for political reasons. Never meet this 'fiance' during the story, so it's an easy fix.

But....I'm happy. I just downloaded it to my kindle. I'm going to do a full read-through before I edit. I'm so excited!

No goals for March. Taking the month off.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
So far. so good. Two days of sticking to my 257 words. I got so itchy about writing more yesterday that I started doing research and planning for some edits for another story so I can carry straight on after I finish my current story. Very pleased with that.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Was invited to a stitch and bitch last night, and brought my editing instead of anything crafty. It was not the most productive I've ever been, but it was still an hour of BIC with my MS.

The chapter has a big loose end in it, and it's annoying to see it. I could snip it off, but it might seem extra random without a connection anywhere else. It just seems to hang now, with a half-connected character we never see.

Both are not good options, but I'm not seeing any other way to connect the detour without adding a character who has to know someone in order to make this work. Bah. Upside, one of two such problems in the MS, and I'm past the halfway mark.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished the first draft of my 2014 Nano novel. 95k words.

Amazingly enough, I'm actually fairly confident in the book. No major rewrites necessary. Plots all seem sound. Just need to modify little things like the fact that my MMC began the story with a dead wife and by the end of the story this had changed to him being engaged for political reasons. Never meet this 'fiance' during the story, so it's an easy fix.

But....I'm happy. I just downloaded it to my kindle. I'm going to do a full read-through before I edit. I'm so excited!

No goals for March. Taking the month off.

Congratulations!

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Nice job Meowz! Reading your own work on the e-reader is kind of frustrating for me, but as long as there's a pen and notebook nearby to take notes and resist the urge to rewrite, it's fun.

And nice job Ellesi! And everyone else who are making their goals!

Haven't worked on my WIP yet, but just finished my first reading book (the Final Empire). Every book I read gives me more ideas and angles to work into my WIP, so that's a good thing. Now I need to alter my outline...again!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I've done very little so far. I just don't have interest in writing anymore. It's not lack of motivation, but pure disinterest. I would have laughed at you if you told me before I started writing that I'd one day be a writer, it just wasn't something I wanted to do. And it feels like I've gone back to that same feeling of disinterest. I like that feeling of not constantly thinking about a plot, my characters, etc. I am in trouble here, 'cause I need to get these done. And I hate forcing it, because it shows up in my writing.

Last edited:

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've done very little so far. I just don't have interest in writing anymore. It's not lack of motivation, but pure disinterest. I would have laughed at you if you told me before I started writing that I'd one day be a writer, it just wasn't something I wanted to do. And it feels like I've gone back to that same feeling of disinterest. I am in trouble here, 'cause I need to get these done. And I hate forcing it, because it shows up in my writing.

Perhaps you're not interested in the topic you're writing? Or is something else outside of writing taking your mind away from it? Forcing yourself to write gives you discipline, yet at the same time it places a seed of resentment towards your project (and ultimately towards yourself). It's a tough line to walk, but it can be done.

Maybe if you stepped away from your current project and did something entirely different, that would bring some inspiration back?

2,000 words a day can be a lot to someone who's just not feeling it, and it's a respectable goal. It's okay to change that goal!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you're not interested in the topic you're writing? Or is something else outside of writing taking your mind away from it? Forcing yourself to write gives you discipline, yet at the same time it places a seed of resentment towards your project (and ultimately towards yourself). It's a tough line to walk, but it can be done.

Maybe if you stepped away from your current project and did something entirely different, that would bring some inspiration back?

2,000 words a day can be a lot to someone who's just not feeling it, and it's a respectable goal. It's okay to change that goal!
I'm actually one of those who works on multiple stories simultaneously, so that if I'm not feeling it for one story I can work on another. But this is feeling different. I still love the stories, the characters. I want to see the story unfold. But right now I'd just rather it be as a reader and not as a writer. This is what worries me.

I took some time off already, and I think that may have been what made me lost interest. Or maybe it's stress, because I know stress makes me unable to write. But that's usually just a writer's block, not disinterest. I've still been trying to get in some writing each day, but my heart's not in it and I can't concentrate. Help...

Last edited:

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm actually one of those who works on multiple stories simultaneously, so that if I'm not feeling it for one story I can work on another. But this is feeling different. I still love the stories, the characters. I want to see the story unfold. But right now I'd just rather it be as a reader and not as a writer. This is what worries me.

I took some time off already, and I think that may have been what made me lost interest. Or maybe it's stress, because I know stress makes me unable to write. But that's usually just a writer's block, not disinterest. I've still been trying to get in some writing each day, but my heart's not in it and I can't concentrate. Help...

I think you're trying too hard to get that daily quota in, and in turn it's stressing you out. I am loathe to the pressures from deadlines so instead, I set general deadlines that I won't hold against myself if I fail to reach them. And make them achievable, no one's judging you! "You are your own worst critic," they say, so be an understanding and loving critic.

If your stress is coming from something unrelated to writing, then deal with that stress first. What your mind goes to while trying to write is what is a good clue where your stresses are coming from. I had to put my writing aside for over 3 years before the stresses of life subsided and the itch to write returned. I hope you're not in such a position, but if you love the power of a good story (which is sounds like you do!) and the desire to tell your own stories is there (which you already have laid out before you), don't be so hard on yourself. If you can't write today, don't beat yourself up for it. Be nice to yourself, you're your best ally!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're trying too hard to get that daily quota in, and in turn it's stressing you out. I am loathe to the pressures from deadlines so instead, I set general deadlines that I won't hold against myself if I fail to reach them. And make them achievable, no one's judging you! "You are your own worst critic," they say, so be an understanding and loving critic.

If your stress is coming from something unrelated to writing, then deal with that stress first. What your mind goes to while trying to write is what is a good clue where your stresses are coming from. I had to put my writing aside for over 3 years before the stresses of life subsided and the itch to write returned. I hope you're not in such a position, but if you love the power of a good story (which is sounds like you do!) and the desire to tell your own stories is there (which you already have laid out before you), don't be so hard on yourself. If you can't write today, don't beat yourself up for it. Be nice to yourself, you're your best ally!
No, I don't normally have a daily quota. I tried that before and it turned writing into a chore. So I went back to being an inspiration writer. But this problem started before this month. I only put in the quota because I had some serious catching up to do.

It could be stress, but I'm not feeling particularly stressed out right now, unless I'm subconsciously stressed. But it usually feels different, not a disinterest, but a block. During those times I usually want to write but can't. Right now I just plain don't want to write. I don't want to sit down and write, to think about the mechanics of putting a story together. It takes too much concentration that I don't want to put forth. I want to go play. :D

I tried also sending stuff to alphas to critique and that usually spurs a huge desire to work on the story, but that didn't work either.

It feels like I'm stuck in vacation mode when I'm supposed to be back at work.

Last edited:

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No, I don't normally have a daily quota. I tried that before and it turned writing into a chore. So I went back to being an inspiration writer. But this problem started before this month. I only put in the quota because I had some serious catching up to do.

It could be stress, but I'm not feeling particularly stressed out right now, unless I'm subconsciously stressed. But it usually feels different, not a disinterest, but a block. During those times I usually want to write but can't. Right now I just plain don't want to write. I don't want to sit down and write, to think about the mechanics of putting a story together. It takes too much concentration that I don't want to put forth. I want to go play. :D

Haha, well then go play! Play to your heart's content. Just let the inner needs have its turn so writing doesn't become something you don't look forward to. You know how it is.

Get lost in a video game, or shopping, or doing sports, cleaning and rearranging the house, or whatever it is that you find fun and distracting. Sometimes you need to scratch those itches (as long as it's not harming anyone, of course) to get yourself back on the track you want to be on.

The muse will be bugging you soon enough!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the first time in I-don't-know-when, I was able to sit down and work on my WIP. It felt so good. I didn't realize how much I missed working on it. I had to stop since I have rehearsal in an hour or so, then a performance, but I'm happy with the little I got done.

I guess I'm the reverse of chompers right now - almost aching to work on the WIP and just struggling to find time.

Write 10k words on WIP: 575 out of 10,000
Read two books: 1 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1
Review agent notes on Book 2
Make revisions to Book 2 as necessary

ETA: Finished the Wendig book between scenes at the show tonight and started Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire. Relieved to be done with the Wendig and enjoying the Eire thus far.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
We can start signing up for Camp Nano. Anyone want to start forming groups like we did last year?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to do Camp in April, but I'm not sure about the groups thing... Not that I don't *want to* be in a group - I just don't know how they work exactly.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
The last two nights after work I did a little editing on my first chapter, which is one of my goals. I didn't get much done, maybe half a page each night, but it's a minor victory anyway because ordinarily I wouldn't do any writing on the days that I work.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've read about 70 pages of this textbook in about 24 hours, and I've now got about 130 more to go... I'll be damn happy when it's finished, as it's fast proving to be a slow read.

Haven't done anything for my other goals today. Got sidetracked.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so down for Camp Nano next month.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't think I'll be Camping this year - I anticipate being busy in my "day" job through mid-May, and I want to stay focused on completing my current WIP (and the endless rewrites that will no doubt follow).

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I am SO in for camping. My SNI is all polished up extra shiny. The only questions left are Big Bad's name and gender, and 1st or 3rd...

I'd be glad to help set up cabins again. The only thing I think we learned last year was that if we need more than one cabin, we'll need a second person to handle invites to Cabin #2.

If you want, rather than me editing a post ten times, PM me, and I'll start making up a list? Cabins are 12 this year (I thought they were 8 last year?) so maybe we can get away with one...

I'll set up the cabin, you guys bring the marshmallows.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Coffee, repped you my Camp Nano username. I'd love to join the cabin if there's room.

I obviously need to finish this manuscript this month if I'm going to be ready for Camp Nano. Meep.