XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
But I'm getting so sick of not being able to write. If it's not my early mornings draining me of all my energy, it's my brain not being able to focus, or just having no desire to sit my ass down and type. It's really starting to upset me.

Well I'm off to bed. Night Cantina!

I'm in the same boat, I think.

Anyway, night LadyV ^^

Reaction score
I'm ~2,500 words into a short story about three sisters who hunt dragons professionally, but as much as I love the concept I worry that my heroines, particularly the younger two, may come across as too bitchy for their own good. On the one hand, their bitchiness logically stems from anxiety about hunting a dragon more dangerous than the usual and it does provide some conflict within the group, but on the other hand their arguing while stealing through the jungle in search of their prey makes them look implausibly incompetent.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good night, Cantina 4.0. Good work. Sleep well. The Mods will likely kill you in the morning.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: for 10 and Raven. And welcome back zanzjan.

In other news, I just edited my novellaette. Well, I think it was a short story, at 8.7k words, but I added 350, so it's a novellaette again. Doh. But the voice is friggen awesome. *hugs only good story I have*

Writers of the Future would disagree for starters...

8700 words is a novelette as far as most definitions go, but the World Fantasy Award would call it a short story. The dividing line there is between a short story and a novella and is at 10,000 words. But if that's the sort of wordcount your voice lends itself to, then go for it. Embrace your voice.

I've written a few novelettes and two novellas (one published in my 2003 collection, the other an excised prologue to my trunked fantasy novel The Storyteller's Tale). Oddly enough, my collaborations seem to run longer than my solo stories. My short fiction output over the last decade seems to be short-story length, but I have one in progress which in just over 1000 words will become my longest solo story since the turn of the Millennium (see sig). Oh and I have written/am writing novels too - as I know you have, Fenika.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Fenika - have you heard of a film called Yuma? It opened in Poland a couple of weeks ago. It's coming out here on Friday and is getting the biggest release in the UK of a Polish film to date.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I think someone said this last night, but I've yet to see it eventuate :D

*will laugh really hard if it's still all here tomorrow*

Hi Sian, looks like it's you and me here keeping the Cantina door propped open at the moment. How are things?

I'm just about to go down the road to buy a Sunday newspaper. Off by train to my parents in a couple of hours.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Um. Guys. I'm... really depressed. Not call a suicide hotline STAT depressed, but sit down and cry until you actually, literally run out of tears (and then your eyes keep trying to shed them and there's none there, and it makes your face sore) depressed. I don't want to go to the CC forum because so often it's like "try this therapy/technique" or "try that support group/program" which is sweet and all, but it ain't going to help me at 10pm on a Saturday. I really just need a metaphorical shoulder to cry on, and potentially a nonjudgmental ear to listen to how different I wish things were with my self-centered jerk of a dad and how far away paramedic school feels (and how badly I want to go) and how I secretly worry I'm going to be a bachelorette forever (despite currently having a girlfriend) because there are so few lesbians and so many are already spoken for and I'm not monogamous enough for most of them and because paramedics work 72 hour shifts and get paid shit.

Shoulders are nice, but so hard to find. :(

Also:
:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:
:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

In other news, I managed to keep down some pretzels and Sprite, so I'm not running on the dregs of yesterday's lunch. :)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hi Sian, looks like it's you and me here keeping the Cantina door propped open at the moment. How are things?

I'm just about to go down the road to buy a Sunday newspaper. Off by train to my parents in a couple of hours.

Huh, serendipity. I just got back home on the train from my parents house :) I'm contemplating whether I actually want to cook dinner or just have mee goreng.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
greetings, friends.... getting in another post while the current cantina still stands....

I have gotten many kitty snuggles today! I can count on one hand the number of times Cricket has wanted to get up on the desk and snuggle since I moved here.

I also had a dream last night about a squirrle getting up on my lap... only by the time it was on my lap it was like... HULK squirrel - the size of a very large jackrabbit, and looked more like a small kangaroo. Which are weird considering it was a squirrel.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ~2,500 words into a short story about three sisters who hunt dragons professionally, but as much as I love the concept I worry that my heroines, particularly the younger two, may come across as too bitchy for their own good. On the one hand, their bitchiness logically stems from anxiety about hunting a dragon more dangerous than the usual and it does provide some conflict within the group, but on the other hand their arguing while stealing through the jungle in search of their prey makes them look implausibly incompetent.

Change the setting. Have them argue in a small cave, trapped by a storm. The arguement can be unresolved, and when they go out hunting they want to argue but cant get more than little snippets in.

Writers of the Future would disagree for starters...

If you mean WotF would disagree that this is my only good story, well this is the story that got an Honorable Mention, so my statement stands :stuborn pout: ;)

8700 words is a novelette as far as most definitions go, but the World Fantasy Award would call it a short story. The dividing line there is between a short story and a novella and is at 10,000 words. But if that's the sort of wordcount your voice lends itself to, then go for it. Embrace your voice.

I've written a few novelettes and two novellas (one published in my 2003 collection, the other an excised prologue to my trunked fantasy novel The Storyteller's Tale). Oddly enough, my collaborations seem to run longer than my solo stories. My short fiction output over the last decade seems to be short-story length, but I have one in progress which in just over 1000 words will become my longest solo story since the turn of the Millennium (see sig). Oh and I have written/am writing novels too - as I know you have, Fenika.

How are those novels coming anyways?

Oh, and Fenika - have you heard of a film called Yuma? It opened in Poland a couple of weeks ago. It's coming out here on Friday and is getting the biggest release in the UK of a Polish film to date.

No, I haven't been in touch with much in Poland aside from google alerts. But this reminds me to ask my aunt if she can find Battle of Warsaw on DVD with english subs. Cheers.

greetings, friends.... getting in another post while the current cantina still stands....

I have gotten many kitty snuggles today! I can count on one hand the number of times Cricket has wanted to get up on the desk and snuggle since I moved here.

I also had a dream last night about a squirrle getting up on my lap... only by the time it was on my lap it was like... HULK squirrel - the size of a very large jackrabbit, and looked more like a small kangaroo. Which are weird considering it was a squirrel.

Hello B! Yay for cuddles. What are you feeding those squirrels in that nice park of yours?!?

Still got that migraine *holds head*

Gentle hugs. Have you tried soft finger massages. Do you have a wire octopus massager?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this night's dream was... a little more... err... wrong. Let's leave it at that. (I blame listening to Nine Inch Nails before I went to bed.)

But it means that I've dreamt about the same thing for three nights in a row, so time to get started writing about it!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.