The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Memphis Ed said:
Yikes....how long do you think THAT baby's going to be there?

This seems to be a recurrent theme (I wonder why). Someone starts a thread like this every couple of months or so (I wonder why). Nothing ever comes of these suggestions though (I wonder why).

Rob

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Woohoo! I win a prize!

lindylou45 said:
Would that be because of the new general partners?

There are many differences between limited liability companies and corporations, but I don't think I'm qualified to go into detail about them. I'm sure Jaws or someone else can explain the pertinent details.

realitychuck

Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
It's still there at of this moment. More suggestions:

4. More reasonable price.
5. Books available on bookstore shelves in actual bookstores.
6. Royaties paid on retail price of book.

Reinventing the wheel.

Here's a hint for any PA lurkers: that's what a legitimate publisher does routinely.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
From the aforementioned What Would you Like Changed about PAthread:

Before I sent my book off to PA, I called several literary agents, and the going percent for royalties was 4 percent. I cannot complain about the royalties PA pays.

4 percent! It's a wonder legitimately published authors make anything at all (myself included!). :Wha:

underthecity

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
I just looked at the private boards, and sure enough one can now see some of the forums without having to be a member.

It's a good thing they can't see our super-secret-basher-board, where all the nefarious anti-PA plots are hatched and we can talk about all the money we make from bashing! Oops...did I say too much?

Rob:Ssh:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Welcome, Boob! You're in good company.

To Timebandit:

Besides, perhaps this will deter the so called; Bashers.

Everything you guys are asking for over there are the same things we're fighting for over here. In other words, we have the same goals. We'd love to see PA make exactly the changes you're talking about. You don't need to "deter" us... you've just said that you agree with our cause.

About the only thing I'd add to that list is honesty. That's the big problem, of course. I do not believe your publisher can be honest. Their advertising is purposely deceptive, which is why you probably didn't realize all those faults in the system to start with.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Dolan said:
I DARE, anyone and everyone to read the material in PA's "Press Room (starting with Clopp-A-Long's letter) and not throw-up." I double dare you!
Dude, I love a double-dog dare, but I've been reading PA crap for ages and am now trained to not throw up.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
PublishAmerica is enjoying an unprecedented period of growth and popularity.

One assumes that is unprecedented negative financial growth and negative popularity.

This is like when your bag of chips reads, "New size! Same low price!" The bag is invariably smaller than it was before.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Dolan said:
I DARE, anyone and everyone to read the material in PA's "Press Room (starting with Clopp-A-Long's letter) and not throw-up." I double dare you!

Dolan, I took your dare. I don't mind saying that I was a bit surprised by this line:
PublishAmerica was founded on the premise that money should flow toward the author, and not the other way around.

Where have we heard this statement before? Hmmm. Jim, you want to take a stab at a line-by-line? See it here.

underthecity

DeePower

The new PA Inc. has a positive BBB rating

PublishAmerica lllp had a negative rating from the Better Business Bureau and discontinued it's membership.

As of today PublishAmerica Inc. has a positive rating and has been a member of the Better Business Bureau since April 2005

If you want to file a complaint against the new PublishAmerica Inc. with the BBB
go here.

http://complaints.bbb.org/SelectComplaintLinkFrameSet.asp

Dee

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
robeiae said:
This seems to be a recurrent theme (I wonder why). Someone starts a thread like this every couple of months or so (I wonder why). Nothing ever comes of these suggestions though (I wonder why).

Rob

And then the InfoCenter comes out and tells them how foolish they are to think PA should do these things when PA is better than Peanut Butter and Jelly on a Dancing Banana...

:banana:

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Timebandit said:
Besides, perhaps this will deter the so called; Bashers.
Everything you guys are asking for over there are the same things we're fighting for over here. In other words, we have the same goals. We'd love to see PA make exactly the changes you're talking about. You don't need to "deter" us... you've just said that you agree with our cause.
I think Timebandit may be more alongside our cause than he may at first seem. The phrase "so-called bashers" casts doubt not on us, but on those who call us "bashers."

I am glad to see this thread at the PAMB. Even if nothing comes of it every time it gets kicked off, it shows that the authors know what they're missing, and they're not afraid of saying so.

(It also... at the risk of sounding a little like a creepy recruitment officer... identifies those who may be almost ready to step into the light... ;))

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
DeePower said:
PublishAmerica lllp had a negative rating from the Better Business Bureau and discontinued it's membership.

As of today PublishAmerica Inc. has a positive rating and has been a member of the Better Business Bureau since April 2005

:Wha: :faint:
Well that might be one reason they did this... Now they can say "Look, we're a member of the BBB in good standing with a great record! Pay to attention to that PublishAmerica lllp behind the curtain!"

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Ann said:
If one's contract is with PA LLLP -- can one legally file complaint against PA Inc.?
Presumably Inc. has inherited all of LLLP's contracts (and attitudes). If in doubt, contact with the new Inc. version and a tone letter in response should provide any needed hook for a complaint.

--Ken

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Eric Summers said:
Looks like they're "upgrading" to phpBB 2.0.10, which is at least 2 versions behind the rest of the world and still has some nasty security flaws in it.

Oh well.
At least they're ditching the ratty old software from the old public boards. No more "Message:" at the beginning of every message. W00t!

Just noticed the "what would you like changed about PA" thread has been deleted. That was quick--I guess we don't get a lecture from InfoCenter about being better as-is than peanut butter on a dancing banana?

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Dolan said:
Am I always the last to know? I just found out that PA gave some money to Oprah, two years ago. So, of course, PA needed to keep some of my royalties. They had to make up for the loss, somehow. I've been so selfish. I'm just an old Tom Dooley.

PA pals, if PA kept some of your royalties, let me know and I'll spin doctor your pain away. I'm learning a lot from PA for when I take to the outlaw trail.
Don't feel bad; I didn't know it, either. Sheesh, doesn't Oprah already have more money than God? Where's the outlaw trail? I suspect I'm going to need to get on it, too.:ROFL:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's time for Fun In the Press Room!

"PublishAmerica is "one of the industry's fastest growing publishers."

[Associated Press, Hillel Italie, January 21, 2005]

"While even obscure books at Random House and other traditional publishers are virtually guaranteed nationwide placement in bookstores, Clopper cannot cite any PublishAmerica works that have received such exposure."

[Associated Press, Hillel Italie, January 21, 2005]

"For the people…PublishAmerica helps unknown authors get their work in print"

[The Washington Examiner, February 9, 2005]

'So why all the effort for something that has generated less than $10 in royalty checks?"

[The Washington Examiner, February 9, 2005]

"To many first-time authors, PublishAmerica is a godsend that will publish works more traditional publishers decline."

[The Frederick News-Post, Tara E. Buck, January 31, 2005]

The next sentence: [size=-1]"In the eyes of some who have worked with the local print-on-demand house, however, PublishAmerica misleads its many authors into believing their works will find a nationwide market."[/size]

[The Frederick News-Post, Tara E. Buck, January 31, 2005]

"[PublishAmerica is] altering the landscape of the publishing industry and leveling the playing field for countless would-be authors in the process."

[Frederick, Holly Smith, March 2002]

"PublishAmerica understands people's drive to write, to be validated through publishing."

[Frederick, Holly Smith, March 2002]

Holly Smith is a Frederick resident who does some freelance writing. The article these quotes were taken from is over three years old, before most of the negatives about PublishAmerica were widely known, and doesn't appear to be available on line.

=========
UPDATE: Victoria has more on this article here, including quotes that PubishAmerica doesn't want you to see.
=========

PublishAmerica offers "an alternative to authors who would likely be overlooked by larger, more commercial publishers."

[The Tampa Tribune, Barbara Kent, September 4, 2004]

Barbara Kent writes the "Neighbors" column in The Tampa Tribune. She [font=arial, helvetica]"reports on social activities, landmark anniversary and birthday celebrations, new club officers, cultural events, out-of-town guests and other community news." The quote given comes directly from PublishAmerica's standard press release.[/font]

Last edited:

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Here's another slant on "What They Are Saying...

...About PublishAmerica"...

PublishAmerica's Web site says its books are "available in all bookstores nationwide." But what that usually means is that purchasers can place special orders at bookstores, not that they'll find the books there for sale.

"Self-publishers should be up front with their writers about that," says Riggio of Barnes & Noble, which discourages managers from stocking any non-returnable merchandise. "They need to tell them they are not likely to be in bookstores." But a book that's not on shelves faces a serious handicap. Despite the growth in online sales, more than 55 percent of books are still sold in stores, according to Ipsos BookTrends data.
-The Washington Post

Recently interviewed by Steven Zeitchik of Publishers Weekly, PublishAmerica executive director Miranda N. Prather admits that her company DOES NOT EDIT FOR CONTENT, only for grammar and spelling. For readers and writers everywhere this has to be the most worrying statement ever made on behalf of a publisher.
- Eddie Bruce, express-press-release.com

PublishAmerica prints on demand and says it's picky. It claims to proofread your manuscript and edit text line by line. So how do you explain PublishAmerica's initial offer to publish "Atlanta Nights" by Travis Tea, intended by its authors to be pronounced 'travesty'. "Atlanta Nights" is the nonsensical product of a writers group wanting to test PublishAmerica. An excerpt reads: "Bruce walked around any more. Some people might ought to see her practiced eye, at her. I am so silky and braid shoulders
-WPVI.com, Philadelphia

The National Endowment for the Arts estimates that more than 14 million Americans have engaged in some form of creative writing. The pool of aspiring authors far outweighs the industry's capacity, or desire, to publish them.

Despite its growth, PublishAmerica has yet to make a commercial impact. According to Clopper, gross revenues in 2004 totaled $4 million to $6 million, a negligible amount in a multibillion-dollar industry. The company's all-time best seller is Neo Franco Cantu's "A Destiny Foretold," a historical novel that's sold around 5,200 copies.

Because PublishAmerica has little clout in the market, authors end up buying copies from the publisher, which periodically offers special discounts, and selling the books themselves.
- The Associated Press

[size=-1]In November, the trade journal Publishers Weekly reported that more than 100 disenchanted PublishAmerica authors — science fiction writers among them — had begun a campaign to expose what they see as the firm's failings.[/size]
[size=-1]Last month, the Associated Press and the Washington Post explored some of the complaints, which the Frederick, Md., company dismissed as the grumblings of a handful of dissatisfied authors.[/size]

[size=-1]PublishAmerica officials did not respond to telephone and e-mail requests for an interview.[/size]

[size=-1]"They are the biggest and most obnoxious … author mills of them all — and one of the most successful, I imagine," said Ann C. Crispin, chair of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America's Committee on Writing Scams.[/size]

[size=-1]But for the sci-fi and fantasy writers, the bigger outrage was PublishAmerica's insulting tone on its Authorsmarket.net website, which the authors took as a playground taunt. The door to revenge, they concluded in discussions on an Absolute write.com bulletin board, was to test exactly how "picky" PublishAmerica would be about a manuscript.[/size]

[size=-1]The muse struck like a stomach flu. Up came "Atlanta Nights," by Travis Tea, the author's name a phonetic giveaway.[/size]

[size=-1]"We decided to see how bad a book we can write and see if they'd accept it," Macdonald said. "Over Martin Luther King Day weekend a year ago I put out the call for volunteers, and about 30 writers said, 'Sure, I'd do that.' "[/size]

[size=-1]Macdonald outlined the premise: "Bruce Lucent makes hamburgers for Penelope Urbain as Isidore arrives. And I gave them little sketches of each of the characters. Bruce is a 20-something software developer. Isidore has red hair and a ponytail. Penelope Urbain is really stacked."[/size]

[size=-1]Each writer committed to a chapter, and some did two. The style was to be "modern," undefined further, set in Atlanta, and none of the authors knew what the others were writing or even where in the book a chapter would fall.[/size]

[size=-1]And they were to write as badly as they could muster.[/size]

[size=-1]"I thought, 'I can spare 20 minutes to ram out some God-awful piece of tripe,' " said young adult author Sherwood Smith, 53, a teacher at the private Carden Conservatory in Huntington Beach and ghost author of Chapter 1. "I just tried to think of every mistake new writers ever make…. Mine really does look like what a clueless newbie would do."[/size]

[size=-1]American literature might never recover.[/size]

[size=-1]"It's like the 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' of novels," Macdonald said. "Some of the chapters are hard-boiled detective [style], some are women's sexy shopping novels. There's a little bit of horror. It changes from chapter to chapter. Which characters were in which chapter was determined by rolling dice."[/size]

[size=-1]To further test PublishAmerica's standards, Macdonald, who compiled the book, left Chapter 21 blank because one writer missed deadline. He included another chapter twice. And he took portions of two other chapters, ran them through a software program that randomly reordered the words, then accepted all the spell check and grammar fixes his software recommended.[/size]

[size=-1]The result is Chapter 34, nine pages of disconnected gibberish that begins: "Bruce walked around any more. Some people might ought to her practiced eye, at her. I am so silky and braid shoulders. At sixty-six, men with a few feet away from their languid gazes."[/size]

[size=-1]Macdonald found a friend unknown in the publishing business to submit the manuscript, and then waited. On Dec. 7, the acceptance letter came. "PublishAmerica has decided to give 'Atlanta Nights' the chance it deserves," it reads. A contract followed, which the hoaxsters decided not to sign after a lawyer advised it could lead to a fraud complaint. Instead, they confessed the hoax on a writers website. The next day, Macdonald's friend received an e-mail from PublishAmerica rescinding the contract, with a wink that they'd caught on.
- The Los Angeles Times[/size]

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
PublishAmerica Fast Facts (Taken from their website)

Our company…

Founded in 1999, PublishAmerica is now one of the industry's fastest growing publishers. (In authors, not in book sales. Would you rather be with a publisher that is one of the fastest growing in sales or one in getting new authors?)

More than 4,000 new books released in 2004, a figure comparable to Random House and other large companies; (Does Random House release this many?)
Nearly 12,000 writers under contract, with more than 100 new queries submitted for review each day;
More than 75 full-time editors, graphic designers, and publicists on staff.
Our sales… (Publicists? What do they do?)

All PublishAmerica titles are available online, by phone order, and through most major bookstores. (More like no book stores, at least not stocked.)

$4 million to $6 million in gross revenues in 2004; (Which is it? 2 million difference there guys. Is it 6 million when nobody is looking but 4 million when the IRS is knocking? How many cars and horses did you buy with that 2 million? I know you about bought Purple for one dolla.)
Nearly 1,000,000 books sold; (How long have they ben saying this?)
An average of 300 orders placed each day by bookstores across the country, including 100 from Barnes & Noble, our largest customer. (And we know what BN says about them don't we?)
Our philosophy…

All manuscripts are carefully reviewed and edited, and, best of all, our authors do not pay a single cent to be published. (Edited like Purple Pony and Atlanta Nights was?)

PublishAmerica never issues fees or charges of any kind; (Five bucks on the rear end is a fee, but hey, no one knows right?)
PublishAmerica pays each author an advance and royalties for book sales, like other traditional companies; (One dolla advance. Pays royalties? Where is Molly's then? What about Dee's?)
PublishAmerica solely underwrites all expenses involved with acquiring, editing, producing and printing a book.
Our publishing process…

PublishAmerica believes that every writer has a message worth reading, whether he is well into the draft of his fifth novel and she has just put pen to paper for the first time.

Copyeditors go through each manuscript line by line, searching for errors in spelling, grammar and mechanics; (Purple says horsesh!t while prancing through Atlanta at night time.)
Authors work with a team of graphic designers in perfecting a book's cover and layout; (Unless you don't like what they make and after a try or two they will tell you you are stuck with it.)
A digital printing process called "print-on-demand" allows books to be printed one at a time, as orders are made. (To bad people order said books and still don't get them.)

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
Okay friends, time for a little theology lesson...

"Judge not others before judging yourself. "

What this means is that we cannot judge the eternal fate or the motive of an individual. God alone knows this. We can, however, judge actions objectively.

For example, take Shemp dispensing poor advice to new authors. We can call him on it and judge Shemp's advice to be poor. In fact, a Christian has a moral obligation to do so, since Christ commands us to "love our neighbour as ourself." Thus just as we would not want to receive poor advice, we have a duty out of love to our neighbour (including Shemp) to point out the deficiencies [did I spell this correctly?] of Shemp's advice to new authors.

On the other hand, if we were to say "Shemp is evil" or "Shemp deliberately gives bad advice to new authors" or "Shemp is going to hell for his shenanigans" then we enter into the type of judgment Christ warns against. We simply don't know the nature of Shemp's motivation. We can guess, but only Shemp and God know what goes through Shemp's mind. It is possible Shemp suffers from mental illness, or it is possible that Shemp honestly believes that he is giving good advice to young authors.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Same principle as before. Objectively judging a book "too many mistakes when it come to spelling and grammar... story doesn't follow in places... looks like a rough draft..." is not the same as condemning the person with "You're useless as an author and will never amount to anything," and "You should quit while you're merely an embarrasment to friends and family."

As Christians, we are certainly called to judge a person's objects and actions. What we cannot judge is a person's motives behind those actions.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
DeePower said:

I just checked, and the listing is for Publish America, LLLP. So it appears that they dodged the negative rating simply by registering a slightly different name for membership--adding a space between Publish and America.

Something needs to be done about this.

- Victoria

Last edited:

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
PA Bleckkk...

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but when I read the "Author Profiles" section at PA, it made me want to hurl my lunch. It is an obvious case of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." It gave me a better understanding of the mechanics of PubliSHAMErica. Where's that bottle of Pepto???
tongue.gif

Marlene
P.S. If you haven't already done so, please vote for (#2) your favorite (#2) entry in the Atlanta Nights book cover contest. Remember to vote (for #2). (The preceding has been an unpaid political announcement.) #2, #2, #2, #2. Make #2, #1! Thank you!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
M. Story said:
I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but when I read the "Author Profiles" section at PA, it made me want to hurl my lunch.

A lot of those quotes I recognize -- as coming from the authors' "honeymoon" periods. Has anyone seen Frank Weaver since the royalties were posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.