Drawing Your Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I work from actors or models photos in getting the details. Using stock photos for potential book covers is something I've done too, to keep the entire design of the book consistent with the description of the characters. I want to draw my characters but I haven't made it my priority. Not yet, that is!

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I just finished the first ever of the MCs of my current WIP; it's also kinda supposed to be the cover. The title is the meaning of the male MC, Nadir's name.
They're supposed to be Arab and Ethiopian but coloring them with even more screentone seemed unfitting for this style.

cva5mm91167h2n585.jpg

Larger version: http://666kb.com/i/cva5nx422jvh2c9bp.jpg

I kinda lost my touch for drawing, but here's my MC Nadir (right) with his 2 friends Izzy (chair) and Ameer (crowbar) in the "tire irons, crowbars, and iron chains" chapter. Inspired by a coworker telling me how he hit someone in the face with a chair for saying all Arabs should die. Love that guy. So much.

cvne6kp5e2r2z1ir9.jpg

Bigger version: http://666kb.com/i/cvne8a794rqgqx4qd.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
Very nice, NaeimGiladisLegacy! If that's you losing your touch for drawing, I'd love to see what you come up with when you get it back. And I love the text on Nadir's shirt! :)

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Thank you :D I used to do stuff like this http://annagiladi.deviantart.com/gallery/40003422/IDF-Anime and at least get the sketches right as far as NOT making a man's torso all squished.. See Izzy :Shrug:

I came up with the shirt because I'm a huge (modern) Whovian and Moffat is just so cruel... He writes you an episode to get all mushy about and then - boom! Tragedy! You cry and he kicks you some more! Pretty much what I'm doing with Nadir who's in a character-focused story... Not comparing myself to Moffat, mind you. Not that full of myself... I just enjoy his kind of cruelty :evil

I still need to work on Nadir's face. The guy on the cover is also him, but they don't quite match.

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I do, though not nearly as frequently as I used to. I just don't have time to do much art anymore, and what little bit of free time I do have is dedicated to writing rather than drawing.

But, here's some 2010'ish sketches of one of my MC's for the series I'm toiling away at:

Here's one of the other MC's, also an old sketch. Please don't mind the horribly drawn and out-of-proportion horse :( I stink at animals.

Also, it should be noted the setting for these characters has been tweaked. The original idea was a low-fantasy setting, but it's been changed to a low sci-fi setting with some low-fantasy elements instead :)

These last two I didn't draw - I commissioned an artist I've known for a few years. She did a lovely job :) I'm going to have her do some more as soon as I have a little extra cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Yeah, I do, though not nearly as frequently as I used to. I just don't have time to do much art anymore, and what little bit of free time I do have is dedicated to writing rather than drawing.

That is some great work at bone structure in the face, something I struggle with. Both you and your commissioned artist seem good at it!

May I introduce, the Arazi family from my WIP!
cw5n7md3gmopz3k8l.jpg

Bigger: http://fav.me/d8i398i

TheAmir

Registered
Reaction score
Ooops, sorry, actually forgot I had posted in this thread. But I see the staff already just linked the images - thank you :)

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
It's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee again! Tried a Disney-like kind of style, simply because it's simpler than all-out anime...

Nadir, the MC, yawning at you. Not really happy with how he turned out. Oh well.
cwq0gz5vcrtr5lut1.jpg

Nasreen, his little sister. Crazy little lollipop, triple-dipped in psycho.
cwq0i02v08077nfat.jpg

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NaeimGiladisLegacy - Those are all really good.
Wow - TheAmir
EMaree - I loved the HOWND
Miss Strawberrii - Your characters are adorable

These characters are from my SF spy thriller WIP. Click for larger image

The green guy is one of my first digital pieces. While I'm happy with it, drawing on my Note3 is taking some getting used to. I'm debating getting a wacom to see if its much different.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
NaeimGiladisLegacy - Those are all really good.

The green guy is one of my first digital pieces. While I'm happy with it, drawing on my Note3 is taking some getting used to. I'm debating getting a wacom to see if its much different.

Thank you :)
I can really recommend getting a drawing tablet, but it doesn't need to be a Wacom. I have a Trust, have had it for the past 5 years. It's a very good one and whenever a part breaks or gets lost, they send me a new one for free, no questions asked.

My newest, Nadir (MC), his sister Nasreen, and his pet bunny, Ludmilla, stuck to his sister's nuthouse room wall.
cwwr5yktqz9zhh1rp.jpg

cwwr8539x202xxr1x.jpg

Bigger:
http://annagiladi.deviantart.com/art/Smelly-feet-tasty-bunny-520104255

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Me again!

Nadir's uncle, Khaleel, catches nephew-dear beating the bajeezus out of a john of his and a business partner of his father's. That would all be okay if it weren't in public. So a big show must be made of senior family members disciplining their young on the spot. Owch. Oh well, dependable uncle-dear does put a bullet in said john/partner later. Discreetly. Good guy Khaleel.

Bigger is better. Because size does matter.

cx14fsy39zfusuywl.jpg

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
I always draw my characters. Sometimes it just helps me describe them better. I'll go to draw them with a very unique feature but then totally forget to write it down. Or other time's I'll write someone, then draw it and realize that would look very strange. Drawing really just helps me focus and visualize my characters better.

Status
Not open for further replies.