Welcome, Lurkers!

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Hi all!

So um...I'm a new lurker...with a reason (besides some of the obvious lol...I mean, come on - intrigue!)

So here's what happened:

I've been writing since around my tenth year on this planet. Most of my stuff has been sweet, chippy short stories or poetry. I branched out into novel ideas as an adult and kept with sweet fantasy...then it evolved to adult fantasy with ya elements. I worked on that for over 10 years when it stalled. Completely dead. I couldn't move an inch on it. What's beyond writer's block? Well, whatever it is, I had it. My mind somehow convinced my hands to just keep writing ideas it tossed out and that kept me practicing...but that stuff really sucked. So, just as I was about to pitch everything and accept the fact that I might as well get comfortable with the fact that I'd likely die as a WalMart greeter or fast food janitor (nothing wrong with that but it's not my life goal), a new idea hit me so hard it about knocked me off my feet...well, my chair since I was already sitting at the time. The idea entered my brain fully formed...characters, purpose, most of the plot AND a potential to add new stories if/as needed. I grabbed my trusty notepad, found scrivener (love that program!) and began researching to keep my mind focused. My only concern was that this new story had A LOT of erotic elements and I've neither read nor written much of either (by "much", I mean I read one trilogy I will not name because it was absolutely ridiculous...regardless of how popular it is. And OK, I may have dabbled in writing a few naughty limericks in college lol).

So, here I am...to learn and hopefully not make an arse out of myself.

Hi there!

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
Hi, Ona, and bienvenue! (saw the Quebec in your location). There's lots of smart people on here that have given me an incredible amount of help, so you're definitely in the right place.

And hi Shamrock! Glad you joined us!

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks brasscat. I'm not personally from Quebec but hubby is so I currently live here. Still, Merci. I'm hoping to get my sea legs here and get this story out of my head and into a book or trilogy. Figured this is a good place to start.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo, look - lots of new victims newcomers! Welcome! :hi:

Ona, I tried writing other stuff for years, only to find out I'm a smut writer. Who knew? :Shrug:

I am still trying to write something of the non-smut variety, but the jury is still out on whether I'll ever get it finished or if it will sell as well (if at all) as my naughty stuff.

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
See? Now THAT'S the kind of positive reinforcement I need. Good girl! Funny thing is I thought my 20 year old son would be mortified over my newest interest but his response was "Ma, I love it! Seriously. You can write the sweet stuff but you do dark so much better. Run with this...please!" My husband just went "Huh? Well, I guess if it makes you happy." Dudes crack me up.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Welcome aboard, Ona. I arrived here in similar fashion - I wrote erotic stuff privately or in fan fiction, and tried unsuccessfully get my mainstream fantasy and science fiction published. I didn't like the fade-to-black standard, so I mashed up my genres and have not looked back. Having this forum as a sounding board has helped me immensely.

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's awesome, Filigree. I love hearing/reading about success stories, regardless of how silly or unapproachable those may seem to outsiders who just don't get it. My newest wip vaguely reflects a part of my life when I made some horrendous mistakes and experienced a tiny sliver of part of my story first-hand. That experience was something I never thought I'd share with anyone besides my husband and best friend (separate individuals who know far too much about my screw ups and tend to find them rather amusing) but now I find it all very interesting. And the fact that my mind took it further and created a really shocking - not so much "dirty" shocking but just plain surprising (kind of like "wow, where did THAT come from?") - story about it intrigues the heck out of me. So far, you all have been really supportive and if this keeps up I may finally find a way to achieve my personal goals. *fingers crossed*

Carrie Elks

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to say "hi." I'm a new member and am loving this board. I'm planning to self publish an erotic novella in the next couple of months, and as its my first time publishing, I'm avidly reading this board and the self publishing board.

A little bit about me; I've been writing for years; short stories, novels and some FanFiction, but have never done anything with them. I decided that now is the time, and am very excited about the journey. The novella I'm planning to publish is very different from anything I've written before.

From all the posts I've been reading, it seems like self-publishing is a marathon, not a sprint, and I'm going to take each day as it comes.

It's lovely to meet you all, and read about your experiences.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you, Carrie. Lots of us started with fanfiction, BTW, and some still write it.

Maryn, glad to see you

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Carrie (from another Carrie ;)).

I agree with Aussie to an extent (hi to you too, btw). I can come up with ideas of how to change some things with fanfiction but when it comes to actually writing anything, it gets lost somewhere between my brain and fingers. It probably settles in my butt. That would explain a few things.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that what happened to get my butt this size? Good to know.

Maryn, chuckling

Carrie Elks

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for the welcome. Fanfic is definitely an interesting genre, I've learned a lot through writing it.

Aussierotica

Smut Pedlar
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xavieredwards.com
I don't suggest you do that, unless you really enjoy sleeping on the couch. :roll:

Just bring her home flowers and tell her she's pretty. That's a MUCH safer plan. ;)

I think that she's too much of a realist and would see through that straight away. Besides, she's the reason why I got into writing Erotica. Too many work trips away from home, and some subtle encouragement to write things down led to where I am now.

softwords

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ourhomesteaddream.com
Im looking forward to getting to know people on the board :D. Im a self described erotica addict. And I have been lucky enough to meet friends who are the same. The first time I met my now dear friend at work I thought she might be super religious(Always wore long to her butt braided hair and skirts) so I always watched what I said around her to make sure I didnt offend her. Later on i realised she deffinetly wasnt at all. One day i saw her reading a Lora Leigh novel and proceeded to tell her a funny story that happenned to me when I was sick.(And I will tell it here for those who have read her Breeds novels!)

I got REALLY sick once. So bad that even the glands in my tongue got swollen. So here I am feverish and sick with my throat and the glands in my tongue swollen and I weakly laugh to my husband and tell him Im in heat. He just raised an eyebrow not knowing WHAT I was talking about.

It made me so sad that NO ONE found this funny! Then i told this to my friend and she burst out laughing and didn't stop for five minutes! It was one of the best moments in my life lol. My response was. SEE!? I knew that was funny!!

Last edited:

cloquet

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Erotica corner! I've decided I need to stop lurking. I've been self-publishing m/m paranormal and contemporary erotic romance for almost 2 years. I've had a fair amount of success with it, but I'd like to take it further and branch out to other kinds of romance as well. I actually would love, love, love to do this full-time. I never thought I'd be a writer, but I've found it to be so much fun that I don't ever want to stop.

Until now, I've really kept to myself though. I don't know any other writers and I've never shared my work with others for critiques. I hope to change that. I'd love to be apart of some anthologies sometime. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that shadowy figure moves into the light! Nice to meet you.

Maryn, with warm croissants and coffee or tea

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(For the record, Filigree is part of the reason it's all friendly around here.)

Maryn, generally mean and unpleasant, plus she smells bad

HSLane

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Cloquet! And a belated welcome to Softwords. We're glad to see you - and all lurkers. This has been one of the friendliest boards I've ever seen.

It really is, and it's overflowing with good advice - I worry that I won't have anything to a thread because it's been said already.

Oh, and this is me, I guess. I'm a new writer (started a month ago), focusing on paranormal romance/erotica and maybe urban fantasy. One of the things I want to do is write in Asian material - characters, mythology, history, ect ect. One of the things that spurred me to write was because I looked at a bookshelf and realized how many of the MCs were white, and how little Asian material there was; I'm Japanese, and wanted to add some bit of my heritage to it.