Hello from Australia

eatfruit

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently completed my best first draft of a screen adaptation of my friend's best selling dystopian romance adventure novel, The Woodlands. I worked on the original novel with her and decided to work on this as a collaboration as I am passionate about the story and characters and love to write, yet haven't found a story that I want to tell yet and I thought this would get me started.
It has taken me about a year whilst also being a breadwinning parent to two littlies.
I am really happy with it, and so is the creator of the story, but I am keen to hear what someone who hasn't read the novel thinks of it as obviously it needs to stand on it's own. So I'm here to participate and get involved and give and get some feedback.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

If you want feedback, you'll get tons of it here.

How long is your book?

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, dystopian romance adventure. That sounds intense. Congrats on finishing, especially as a parent, that's a lot of work.

What made you so passionate about the story? I ask because you mentioned you haven't sort of found a story on your own to tell yet...I wonder if there is something thematic or specific about the dystopian romance adventure that you loved and could sort of branch out with? OR you know, sometimes collaborations are just the way to go. Having another person you respect to work with can fire you up.

eatfruit

Registered
Reaction score
@Shryspeare The books is regular novel length but it's not 'my' book. I'm just its biggest fan.

eatfruit

Registered
Reaction score
@holy heidi
I loved the book because it is one of those stories where you start reading and look up a few hours later having lost time. It also has some great female characters which I really appreciate. There are some really originals ideas, lots of action and a great, heartbreaking ironic twist. So perfect for a film.

What are you working on?

I am a perfectionist - in the truly negative sense of the word - so I critique and self edit so much I often don't even start. It has been truly liberating having something other than my own imagination to work with as I just got on with it and now have something to show for all my agonising. Collaboration is nice but also can be very hard. We are both very sensitive introverts, but have been friends for more than 15 years so know each other's quirks.

lily-abstraction

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here too. Good to meet you.

I suspect collaboration takes a special gift and I admire you and your friend. Wishing you both well.