Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Baha, yes, and can we do the eyeball only?

No, but if you like eyes, I did snap this shot in Australia:

i8DE9346C-62E9-47B2-9B49-0003C5C344FA.jpg

Since JennaGlatzer was the former owner of AW and her user number is '1', I'm guessing she's the answer to both. :)

Good to know :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
No, but if you like eyes, I did snap this shot in Australia:

i8DE9346C-62E9-47B2-9B49-0003C5C344FA.jpg
It's looking at me. I keep moving around, but it's eye keeps following me. Make it stop, someone make it stop. Ants, there are ants everywhere. They is crawling on me, all over me, all over my skin. Someone make them stop. Why are the crawling? They keep on crawling. And all that darned bird can do is stare. It's controlling the ants. It wants the ants to crawl. It keeps staring. The ants keep crawling. Look away ... look ... away ... away ... before ... it's ... too ... la......

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you liked. Here's a better close up (same pic). It makes a great desktop background (when you have the original sized file)

i49F2E439-D258-4CFA-BFD1-C88002031AC5.jpg

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's looking at me. I keep moving around, but it's eye keeps following me. Make it stop, someone make it stop. Ants, there are ants everywhere. They is crawling on me, all over me, all over my skin. Someone make them stop. Why are the crawling? They keep on crawling. And all that darned bird can do is stare. It's controlling the ants. It wants the ants to crawl. It keeps staring. The ants keep crawling. Look away ... look ... away ... away ... before ... it's ... too ... la......

Next question- what happens when we drive a dragon-mod crazy?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
When you drive a dragon mod crazy he finally starts to fit in with the rest of the mods.

'bout time he lost his marbles!

thanks!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Which mod has been a mod the longest? An AWer the longest?
Ooh, good question.
Considering the time warps we live in, the improbable time travel device, and the temperature of sea water, that would either be JVC, Jed, or Martin the Hare, depending on the time of day.
Not a lot of people know this, but I was actually a victim of the great purge of '06. My current incarnation is not my first. I'm like the Doctor. I can re-generate. Bwahahahahahahahahahaha (ok, didn't mean to do the evil laugh thing there. I could be the Master, not the Doctor. No one knows for sure. But I do run a lot. Well, walk. Does that still count?)
Since JennaGlatzer was the former owner of AW and her user number is '1', I'm guessing she's the answer to both. :)
I was gonna say Jenna. Do I get a prize?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you drive a dragon mod crazy he finally starts to fit in with the rest of the mods.

'bout time he lost his marbles!

thanks!

No worries.

(Pst, about that av size... ;) )
(I can dream, can't I?)

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Which mod has been a mod the longest? An AWer the longest?
This guy was here when they were LOLing with hieroglyphs. He later went on to power up the BBS and AOL chat room versions. He's actually vested for so long, he gets the first AW pension.

I won't reveal his username and his member number is carbon dated, but I will tell you he likes small dogs.

old-man-laughing.jpg

2old2pb

This Is Serious Mum!
Registered
Reaction score
How would one go about finding out if their oh so original idea for a story wasn't original at all?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
How would one go about finding out if their oh so original idea for a story wasn't original at all?

Um, pretty much read everything that's ever been written. Or (and much less time consuming) assume it has (which it probably has), and simply write it so well that nobody cares.

There are few, if any, brand spanking new story ideas. But the way you write it is what makes yours stand out from the pack.

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com

OK, was I the only one dorky enough to move back and forth to see if the eye really did follow me?
:tongue

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
As Haggis correctly mentions, most original ideas have already been used. There's not much new to add. The Bible(s) alone takes up the majority of literary themes.

If you're in the market for originality, it's already been done before, no matter what the story, at least a thousand times over, if not more. The good news is, you can change what's already been written to fit your own perspective, to energize age-old ideas and stories to fit your own brand of description.

That's what keeps readers entranced, hearing the same stories over and over but told from different points of views that sound fresh and entirely new each time.

My dad used to say, "There's nothing new under the sun, Son." And I'd think, Maybe not, but if I can change it around a little and make it sound different, or maybe even better, I'd be on to something worth writing about.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Which mod has been a mod the longest?

Excluding Jenna, who founded the forum and used to run it (when it was small) without mods, Frank (aka eraser). He is the second person that Jenna modded. The first-ever mod was Betty, who no longer hangs out at AW. Life happens, you know?

An AWer the longest?

Jenna, as the original founder of AW. Apart from that, Frank (aka eraser), who has hung out at AW since it's early days.

Hmmmm....a question for the modestlinesses....

OK.

How does one achieve 2 or 3 rep point status? :D

Make lots and lots of posts. (It's possible it might also be effected by the number of rep points you have, but a lot of posts will definitely up the number of rep points you give.)

Next question- what happens when we drive a dragon-mod crazy?

Sometimes the dragon wins.