A little overdue...

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
So, it appears I (when trying to sign up for this site) notice I had already signed up for the forums and never used them before. Probably when I was in South Africa and relied on Blackberry Internet Service to do just about anything.

Anyway, here I am, book written and all and ready to try and help others and to seek advice to better my own writing and book promotion.

Hoping to see some of you around. :)

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Joe! Great to have you here!

You say your book is "written"... what comes next for you? Editing? Proofreading? Beta-reading? Or are you ready to publish?

We'd love to hear more about your book, i.e. plot, genre, etc.

Happy to give (and get) any advice necessary!

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
Welcome, Joe! Great to have you here!

You say your book is "written"... what comes next for you? Editing? Proofreading? Beta-reading? Or are you ready to publish?

We'd love to hear more about your book, i.e. plot, genre, etc.

Happy to give (and get) any advice necessary!

I should've been more specific, haha. My book is published now via Smashwords and Amazon. It's been distributed to the MANY places the Smashwords premium catalogue distributes to (which for those of you who are considering it, I would highly recommend Smashwords).

I did most of the editing, proofreading and the like myself. I had a few beta-readers, but found that a large portion became unreliable or too busy (which I completely understand, they are definitely doing me a favour with any help they give), so I did the best I could with what feedback I had.

I actually am quite happy though with how it has all turned out.

The book is fantasy but kind of stretches across into the mystery/paranormal genres a little too. I really hate to explain the plot, but let's say that it is based on my own experiences of attempting to sleep and how crazy my dreams can get with the medication I am on. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not still sleeping. ;)

Anyway, the book (which is around 19000 words) touches on the life of an every day man who ticks all the right boxes in his life, he's starting to climb the career ladder and has the family to boot. It all starts getting a little bit crazy when he finds himself frequently waking up in a dream land, to the point where he struggles to tell the difference between when he is sleeping and awake.

I don't want to say much more as there might be people who'd like a look at it without having too many spoilers. The link is in the sig for those interested.

As for next steps? I'm not too sure at this stage. I definitely want to try the High-fantasy book series, a sci-fi series, maybe even some Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas style childrens books.

Who knows? For now, the old saying of the sky being the limit is very prominent in my mind. I'm just enjoying my writing and trying to give people something to enjoy reading. We'll see!

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
Great advice about Smashwords. I may very well try them out once my self-published novel becomes available. I will also read your story! Looks interesting!

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
Great advice about Smashwords. I may very well try them out once my self-published novel becomes available. I will also read your story! Looks interesting!

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

If you need any help with Smashwords feel free to ask. I've used it just once but it's pretty straight-forward once you know how.

I'd also recommend that if you decide to use them, you should definitely follow their guides for premium submission. I spent a couple of hours doing so for my ebook and it all went through without a hitch.

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
Without perusing all of the nooks and crannies and FAQs of their website, just answer me... does "Premium" mean that you had to pay for it?

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
Without perusing all of the nooks and crannies and FAQs of their website, just answer me... does "Premium" mean that you had to pay for it?

Nope. I didn't spend a penny so far and I've managed to publish it with all the extras. The only thing I'm doing now (really) is looking at how to promote and improve my writing. None of that I've spent anything on yet.

Premium Catalog acceptance is achieved by meeting their manuscript layout guidelines (it's pretty easy to follow if you download their guides). It sometimes takes a few days (or even weeks), but mine was done within 48 hours (approved for premium that is) and then they distribute it to their partners (such as Barnes and Noble etc).

No money needed. Well, unless you count keeping your computer up and running and the electricity costs :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to take a nose around.

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I didn't spend a penny so far and I've managed to publish it with all the extras. The only thing I'm doing now (really) is looking at how to promote and improve my writing. None of that I've spent anything on yet.

Premium Catalog acceptance is achieved by meeting their manuscript layout guidelines (it's pretty easy to follow if you download their guides). It sometimes takes a few days (or even weeks), but mine was done within 48 hours (approved for premium that is) and then they distribute it to their partners (such as Barnes and Noble etc).

No money needed. Well, unless you count keeping your computer up and running and the electricity costs :D

I've checked out SmashWords. Rather bummed that I didn't check them out before. I think I will definitely be using their services. Thanks for the reference, Joe!

Last edited: