Howdy, all!

KaylaChr

Registered
Reaction score
Um, hi. I'm Kayla, and I'm an author... (waits for round of "hi's").

Oh, wait, this isn't Authors Anonymous. Sorry, wrong intro. ;)

I'm a fairly new author, with only a few novellas under my belt. I don't know a lot about the publishing world, or anything related for that matter.

I do know a bit about mythology; Greek and Celtic, mostly, with some Norse, and Egyptian thrown in.

I'm horrible at typing these things and being grammatically correct at the same time, so please don't call the grammar police when I screw up. I may be an author, but I'm only a human one.

Okay, any questions? I love answering questions! And asking them...

Did I mention I'm a bit of a scatter-brain?

Anyway, "Hi. Nice to meet you! Let's please get along and help each other toward our writing dreams."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
Ah HA Kayla, I asked you in the other thread what you write but here I've found the answer.

Mythology: SO GOOD.

Since you like questions, what's your favorite myth? And why? What speaks to you about it?

KaylaChr

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, my books are based on mythology.

Heidi, I've never thought about having a 'favorite' myth. I guess I relate more to Artemis/Diana, but I really love the older gods more. The (crud, I just had the word, then I lost it), the ones that started it all. Chaos, Nyx, Erebus, the Fates, etc. I like them because not too many people go that far back in the pantheon for the basis of their stories.

Satisian

Registered
Reaction score
The place where everyone speaks like the Queen.
Hi Kayla, welcome to AW! Also, if you like mythology, especially Norse mythology, have you tried reading the poetic edda, especially the mythological poems? It's quite fun although some of the translations of can be a bit dodgy. Russian folk-tales are good as well if you ever want to check them out.

KaylaChr

Registered
Reaction score
I think the only thing I've read that's even close is the epic poem Beowulf. I'd love to learn Old English sometime, so I can read the old stuff the way it was written.

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man! I actually studied mythology in Grad School for a couple years and one of the classes I took was Old English. We ended up studying Beowulf (Heaney's version.) And I swear, it was the most fun class, because we were all thundering around like "OFT SHIELD SHEAFING SHEATHENA THREATUM" and it was always a good time.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I think most people are self conscious of their grammar. It feels like here of all places we should have it together, but I don't even try anymore. I save my correct grammar energy for my work. ;)

KaylaChr

Registered
Reaction score
I WISH I'd had a mythology class in college. I had to do an independent study on it, and then the darn teacher didn't even read my semester's worth of work, she just said, "I have no idea how to grade this, so you get an A." While I appreciated the A, I was very annoyed to have done so much for nothing.

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
I WISH I'd had a mythology class in college. I had to do an independent study on it, and then the darn teacher didn't even read my semester's worth of work, she just said, "I have no idea how to grade this, so you get an A." While I appreciated the A, I was very annoyed to have done so much for nothing.

Oh no! But it's not for nothing, right? I mean, you must have learned despite their best efforts not to tell you how well you'd learned :)

KaylaChr

Registered
Reaction score
True, Heidi. If not for the class, I'd never have been able to finish the first three books in my series. :) Thank God for almost-obsessive researching behavior.

EJMatthews

closeted rhetorician
Registered
Reaction score
Thank God for almost-obsessive researching behavior.

Yes! Most people won't admit that a lot of what makes fantastic, believable writing is the quality (and quantity) of research behind it. To be a writer you have to be infinitely curious--and it sounds like you are.

Welcome!

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Welcome Kayla! I am re-reading the Percy Jackson series right now (my kids got me addicted to the books). I don't understand mythology, but it makes for good reading!

-B