Greetings from the Pacific NW!

ravenoak

Full-time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenoak.net
Greetings & Salutations!

Been a lurker here for quite some time, but never quite managed to find the time to create an account and say hello. Better late than never, right?

I've been a professional writer for a little over a decade, but shifted to full-time writing two years ago when my husband and I moved to Seattle. We love it up here, though our 3 cats took some time to adjust to smaller housing. My husband is a video game programmer, and we both enjoy gaming--PC, console, & tabletop.

When I'm not writing, I'm reading or gaming. Or wandering through Seattle.

My first epic fantasy is due out in January by Grey Sun Press (small publisher), and I've got a sci-fi space opera due out later in 2015. Busy times ahead!

Raven

C. Eldon Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I was a former-lurker too! Welcome! And congrats on your publications :)

What kind of games do you play?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
I second the call to know what types of games you play. Favorite game? I automatically love anything Zelda, but Braid is a favorite too.

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, ravenoak! I love the name!

I want to hear more about the epic fantasy and the sci-fi opera!

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I briefly lived out in the Pacific NW (Portland), but I couldn't handle the abundance of rain and gray. It's such a beautiful and special place, wish I could live there, but I require more vitamin D in my life.

ravenoak

Full-time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenoak.net
Wow! I returned to lots of question! :) Thanks for welcoming me.

We'll start with games:
PC--Big minecraft player. We have a server called Gallifrey. ;) I also play a few things on Steam like Portal, Starbound, and Godus.

Console--I'm a fan of zombie games (Resident Evil, ZombieU, Dead Island, etc), as well as games like Metal Gear Solid, Dishonored, Zelda (just got the Wind Waker HD for Wii U in fact), Fallout 3, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Metroid Prime, Xenosaga, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton series, etc. I'm all over the place with my likes in terms of games, but I prefer games with rich story lines (imagine that!).

Tabletop wise, we play just about anything once. I write a weekly review on Mondays on my site about what we've played in a given week. Our favorites are: Firefly Board Game, Dominion, Munchkin, Ascension, Magic the Gathering, & Ticket to Ride.

ravenoak

Full-time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenoak.net
Hello,
I briefly lived out in the Pacific NW (Portland), but I couldn't handle the abundance of rain and gray. It's such a beautiful and special place, wish I could live there, but I require more vitamin D in my life.

I was a military brat as a kid, so I've lived all over. In fact, Alaska is the only state I haven't visited. I spent the majority of my life living in Florida and Texas, both of which were hot and muggy.

I love the rain and the temperate climate here. And the mountains. And the trees. I'm learning the ways of supplementing Vitamin D via particular types of lights during the winter, but I absolutely love it here.

Definitely a beautiful place. :)

ravenoak

Full-time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenoak.net
Welcome, ravenoak! I love the name!
I want to hear more about the epic fantasy and the sci-fi opera!

I lucked out that my name (Raven Oak) just happens to make an excellent author name as well. :)

I have book blurbs & excerpts on my site, but can tell you a little more about both here. (I'll try not to go on too long since I don't want to inundate folks with blurbs.)

Amaskan's Blood (epic fantasy)--this one is due out in Jan. by a small press up here--Grey Sun Press.

Adelei is a master in her field. As one of the feared Amaskans, it's her job to seek justice for the people of the Little Dozen Kingdoms. Her next job serves no one--no king, no god, and certainly not justice. While fighting to unravel the betrayal surrounding the royal family of Alexander, she finds her entire past is a lie, right down to those she called family. They say the truth depends on which side of the sword one stands. But they never said what to do when all the swords are pointing at you.

Lots of political intrigue with strong characters & world building. It's the first in a series.

I have two space operas--one novella and one that is the first in a series.

The novella is called Class-M Exile. It's a free story I'm giving out to people who join the conspiracy (my mailing list). I may self-pub it. Not sure yet as my editor's still toying with the idea of whether she wants it or not.

Eerl fancies himself an expert on Earth culture, even though he ain't never seen a human. Heck, before his visit to Bay-zar, he'd never been offworld, much less to the rotten shell of Earth.
Things get a mite tricky when he runs into Mel. She's human, she's fearless, and she's wearin' the most fascinatin' shirt ever. He doesn't know what a fish is, or why it needs a bi-cycle, but he's gonna find out.

I hadn't figured out my elevator (short) pitch on that one yet. That was interesting...
Eerl's a tripedal alien in a world full of aliens. Since the war, Earth and humans are not only extinct but feared. Lots of humor, yet darker themes exploring prejudice.

The other space opera, The Silent Frontier, is the first in a series. Book I is due out late 2015 by my publisher.

Captain Kris Berstenfin wasn’t a typical captain of a ship–she preferred to be the boss, and she preferred to be alone. But piloting a ship through ECLPS space required more than a bitchy attitude–it required a crew. And money. And more patience then she had. She didn’t chose to side with the illusive Xersians, not exactly anyway, but that wasn’t how the Exploration Council of the Lower Peaceful Species saw it. They put one dot next to another dot and called it a line, a line leading straight towards treason and the loss of everything Kris called home.
So when she found herself adrift in space: her crew dead, her ship in pieces, and five hours of air in the space suit; she knew it was going to be a bad, bad day.

Much lighter space opera than Class-M Exile. It has its fair share of politics going on, but mostly stays on the light side.

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Raven, your books sound fascinating! I hope you will keep us (and by us, I primarily mean me) posted then they become available!

I commend you for being able to have this many bowling balls in the air at the same time and still stay sane!

You say you've been a "professional writer" for a decade ... congrats on that. Would love to check out samples of your work if possible!

I also love cats.

ravenoak

Full-time author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravenoak.net
You say you've been a "professional writer" for a decade ... congrats on that. Would love to check out samples of your work if possible!
I also love cats.

Most of my professional work has either been in the academia world (I was previously a teacher before I quite to write full time) or unpublished work that was sent to many-an-editor in hopes of getting published. Been attending writing conferences/workshops and writing novels for 2 decades now.

Excerpts of just about everything fiction wise, published and unpublished are on my website though if you're curious. I'll keep ya posted on publication dates.

I love my cats, but some days they drive me crazy with their incessant need to lay across my keyboard while I try to write. And some days, because of that, I'm not all that sane. ;)
Do you have cats as well?

Shrykespeare

Registered
Reaction score
One little orange cat and one big black dog that's too old to catch him anymore. I love 'em to death, even though they love to root through every wastebasket in the house when the wife and I are gone.

Thanks for keeping me posted!

Will Amaskan's Blood be available for download?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this month, Kay's grandson transferred from his job in Portland to Seattle, so we're planning to ride Amtrak there after the first of the year.